Firmware Update (v29) on DM 15L using a MacBook Pro

This is the place to discuss the usage of DM1x/DM41 machines and to share any tips & tricks you may have stumbled across.

If discussing a specific model, please ensure that you prefix topic subjects with the model number this way:

[DM41] How to change the number of program steps available
StatsDoctor

Re: Firmware Update (v29) on DM 15L using a MacBook Pro

Post by StatsDoctor »

Thanks for your response, ctrclckws. Yes, you are correct (I just checked my DM15L). I was aware of the instructions page but had not fully explored it previously. I held down the E key, then pressed and released the [ON] key. This gave me the firmware version, the configuration, and several other valuable pieces of information. I did not really understand the three configurations for the DM15L until reading through posts on this forum and asking questions.

Best,

Bob O.
Bob O.
DM42, DM15L, WP-34S, HP-42S, HP 35s, HP 33s, HP-32S, HP-32Sii, HP-15C; iOS: Plus42, Free42, WP-34S, HP-15C
rprosperi

Post by rprosperi »

Good to know they now ship with M1B; this may have changed as I think when I initially got mine (when announced) it was the default, but as more folks have explored it and it's now more fully documented and understood (so, less folks emailing SM or posting questions) SM switched. Possibly it was even M1B from launch, I didn't notice.

Anyhow, thanks for confirming the result here; the next folks that wonder can find out here.
--bob p

DM42: β00071 & 00282, DM41X: β00071 & 00656, DM10L: 071/100
akaTB

Post by akaTB »

rprosperi wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:51 am
Also, I can't help but note that it's a shame that these easy-to-use Macs have such trouble. :x As a Windows user, I had trouble too; I had to click on the setup program. ;)
it just works...
:lol:
Greetings,
    Massimo
ajcaton
-+×÷ left is right and right is wrong :twisted: Casted in gold
pcscote

Post by pcscote »

Hello Bob,

Sorry for not coming back sooner.
StatsDoctor wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:20 pm
:info:build ld: library not found for -lgcc_s.10.5
:info:build clang: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)
:info:build make: *** [lpc21isp] Error 1
You are missing one of the gcc library.

You need to install the xcode command line tools.
  • Start a Terminal session (aka command line)
  • Install the xcode command tools, type the following:

Code: Select all

xcode-select --install [return]
  • if you do not have enough rights, Install the xcode command tools with root, try this:

sudo xcode-select --install [return]
  • if it's already installed you will get this error:

xcode-select: error: command line tools are already installed, use "Software Update" to install updates
  • exit the Terminal application
Assuming the xcode command line tools was not installed.
Do the above instructions, start another Terminal session and retry the DM-15L update procedure.
Let me known how it goes.

Sylvain
[DM1x/DM1xL/DM41/DM41L/DM41X/DM42]
StatsDoctor

Post by StatsDoctor »

Hi Sylvain,

I tried what you suggested. I obtained the error that you mentioned, so the xcode command line tools were already installed. I then exited the Terminal application. After that, I started a new Terminal session, using the following three lines (with my comments in parentheses);

sudo port selfupdate (this updated the ports and noted that I have the latest version of MacPorts installed)

sudo port upgrade outdated (this let me know that everything was already up-to-date)

sudo port install lpc21isp (this did not install and gave the same error and log file as before)

Terminal is recognizing that the port is there but apparently does not install it. Do you have any other suggestions for me?

I even restarted my Mac just to make sure that this (lack of a reboot) was not causing the problem.

Thanks in advance,

Bob
Bob O.
DM42, DM15L, WP-34S, HP-42S, HP 35s, HP 33s, HP-32S, HP-32Sii, HP-15C; iOS: Plus42, Free42, WP-34S, HP-15C
StatsDoctor

Post by StatsDoctor »

All,

Thanks for your help and for your answers to my questions.

I was finally successful in installing the lpc21isp port. I did another Google search and landed on the website
http://macappstore.org/lpc21isp. I found the following instructions there:

Press Command+Space and type Terminal and press enter/return key.
Run in Terminal app:
ruby -e "$(curl -fsSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Homeb ... er/install)" < /dev/null 2> /dev/null
and press enter/return key.
If the screen prompts you to enter a password, please enter your Mac's user password to continue. When you type the password, it won't be displayed on screen, but the system would accept it. So just type your password and press ENTER/RETURN key. Then wait for the command to finish.
Run:
brew install lpc21isp
Done! You can now use lpc21isp.

This worked great. It installed Homebrew with the first command and then the port with the second command. Very easy!

I then updated the DM 15L firmware using the instructions provided. These worked well.

Thanks to cdmackay for initially suggesting Homebrew. I think that the above instructions are even simpler than the ones that you suggested.

If you hear of anyone else having the problem that I had, you are welcome to refer them to this post!

Best,

Bob
Bob O.
cdmackay

Post by cdmackay »

Glad it's working Bob.

Sylvain's macports method should have worked just as well, though, so that is rather odd.
Cambridge, UK
41CL/DM41X 12/15C/16C DM15/16 17B/II/II+ 28S 42S/DM42 32SII 48GX 50g 35s WP34S PrimeG2 WP43S/pilot
Casio, Rockwell 18R
pcscote

Post by pcscote »

StatsDoctor wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:15 am
sudo port install lpc21isp (this did not install and gave the same error and log file as before)
Hello Bob,
Like cdmackay said, it should have worked, anyway I am glad that the Brew version solved your problem.
Just be aware that you now have two porting solution installed in your system (Brew and MacPort).
Sylvain
[DM1x/DM1xL/DM41/DM41L/DM41X/DM42]
StatsDoctor

Post by StatsDoctor »

Hello Sylvain,

Thanks. Is there any harm caused by leaving both porting solutions installed on my computer? I have not noticed any conflicts, but would like to know if it would be better for me to remove one of the porting systems.

Thanks,

Bob
Bob O.
cdmackay

Post by cdmackay »

I had both Brew and MacPorts installed on my last Mac for some time, never noticed a problem.

Of course, if you installed the same utility via both, some confusion may arise :)
Cambridge, UK
41CL/DM41X 12/15C/16C DM15/16 17B/II/II+ 28S 42S/DM42 32SII 48GX 50g 35s WP34S PrimeG2 WP43S/pilot
Casio, Rockwell 18R