Firmware Update (v29) on DM 15L using a MacBook Pro

This is the place to discuss the usage of DM1x/DM41 machines and to share any tips & tricks you may have stumbled across.

If discussing a specific model, please ensure that you prefix topic subjects with the model number this way:

[DM41] How to change the number of program steps available
pcscote

Re: Firmware Update (v29) on DM 15L using a MacBook Pro

Post by pcscote »

About packages managers for macOS:

There are several package manager for macOS: Homebrew, Homerrew Cask, Nix, pkgsrc, MacPort, Rudix, Anaconda and Fink among others.
  • Some requires sudo access (MacPort) other do not (Homebrew).
  • Some will install their packages in your home folder (Anaconda is in ~/anaconda3) while other will install them in one of the system folder (Homebrew is in /usr/local/Homebrew & MacPort is in /opt/local/).
  • Some has more packages available than others: MacPort has around 20K packages while Homebrew has around 5K packages.
What is more important for you to control, when you have multiple package manager installed, is which one is to be used first, second, etc.
The way to achieve that goal is to edit your ~/.profile file and setup the package manager order in your PATH variable.
It is also a good idea to keep a record of what application is installed with which package manager.

Sylvain
[DM1x/DM1xL/DM41/DM41L/DM41X/DM42]
StatsDoctor

Post by StatsDoctor »

Thanks, cdmackay. I will leave both Brew and MacPorts installed. The only utility that I have installed using Brew is lpc21isp. I have not any installed any other utilities with Brew or MacPorts. I will keep your advice in mind and will not install the same utility with Brew and MacPorts.

Bob
Bob O.
DM42, DM15L, WP-34S, HP-42S, HP 35s, HP 33s, HP-32S, HP-32Sii, HP-15C; iOS: Plus42, Free42, WP-34S, HP-15C
StatsDoctor

Post by StatsDoctor »

Sylvain,

Thanks for all of the info about package managers for macOS. I never knew that there were so many!

I will only use a package manager when I really need to, like when I installed lpc21isp.

Is there a default order that a Mac will use the package managers in, assuming that at least two package managers are installed?

Finally, it sounds like MacPort and Homebrew are the most popular package managers.

Bob
Bob O.
DM42, DM15L, WP-34S, HP-42S, HP 35s, HP 33s, HP-32S, HP-32Sii, HP-15C; iOS: Plus42, Free42, WP-34S, HP-15C
cdmackay

Post by cdmackay »

StatsDoctor wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:24 am
Is there a default order that a Mac will use the package managers in, assuming that at least two package managers are installed?

Finally, it sounds like MacPort and Homebrew are the most popular package managers.
The order is under your control, via your PATH environment variable. You set this in one of your shell startup files, in your home directory, e.g: ~/.bash_profile

The PATH variable consists of a colon-separated list of directories, where the shell searches for commands to run. If a command exists in more than one directory, the first in PATH is the one that will be executed.

HomeBrew uses /usr/local/bin

MacPorts uses /opt/local/bin

There is also Fink. I think this uses /sw/bin

PS one should also set MANPATH, in parallel with PATH, with “man” replacing “bin”, so that the man command may find basic documentation for the commands.

PPS the above is all standard UNIX
Cambridge, UK
41CL/DM41X 12/15C/16C DM15/16 17B/II/II+ 28S 42S/DM42 32SII 48GX 50g 35s WP34S PrimeG2 WP43S/pilot
Casio, Rockwell 18R
StatsDoctor

Post by StatsDoctor »

Thanks for answering my questions and for all of the helpful info, cdmackay.

Bob
Bob O.