prompt

This is the place to discuss the usage of DM1x/DM41 machines and to share any tips & tricks you may have stumbled across.

If discussing a specific model, please ensure that you prefix topic subjects with the model number this way:

[DM41] How to change the number of program steps available
Studoc

prompt

Post by Studoc »

hi all,

I have just arrived here, although not a spring chicken and have had many HP's.
If I didn't lose them, they tended to last 10 years..

My latest is a DM41 and in wedging myself into the is slightly new paradigm I find that in most HP/DM41 discussions on the net, folk are preaching to the converted, as this is very much a cult calculator. But I have never dived deep into any of my HPs, only taken what I needed...

So, in working through restablishing my workflow with this device I wonder where everything is, but you all are across all of this already....

Currently, the "Prompt" command is useful, but do I really have to type it everytime I want to use it...?
Is it a command perhaps buried somewhere within the calculator already....?

thanks for your time,

Stuart.
grsbanks

Re: prompt

Post by grsbanks »

Hi there.

This is where the power of the '41 shines :)

ASN is your friend. Simply assign the command "PROMPT" to the key of your choice and you can enter it directly into your program in USER mode, e.g. the [SIN] key.

[f] ASN [a]PROMPT[a] [SIN]

Toggle USER mode with the [USR] key. When it's active you see "USR" on the screen, and if you press the [SIN] key now it'll execute (if you're in run mode; enter if you're in PGM mode) PROMPT instead of SIN.
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who do not.
Studoc

Post by Studoc »

And there endeth the lesson...

Thanks very much for your help with this..!

I can see that I will need to cobble together a little spreadsheet, to keep track of what USR assigned keys I am about to create..

As an aside: back in the '90s, when I got my first 48, I bought a book from HP titled, " HP48 Series Advanced User's Reference Manual".
It had all the commands listed in the back and where to find them.

Did anything like that ever get produced for the 41...?
grsbanks

Post by grsbanks »

There isn't really a need for such a book for the '41 because it doesn't sport menus to access the commands. On the '41, if it isn't in plain sight on the keyboard then you either have to type it in manually using the XEQ [a] .... [a] technique or you have to assign it to a USER key.

I do, however, recommend that you consider getting yourself a copy of the Museum of HP Calculators pen drive that includes literally gigabytes of information about the '41 and virtually every other model produced by the company. It's $40 (plus import duty and VAT if you're not in the US) well spent IMO.

https://www.hpmuseum.org/cd/cddesc.htm

Another source of information is Eric Rechlin's documentation site:

https://literature.hpcalc.org/

Also, don't forget that [f] CAT 6 will tell you what USER keys are assigned...
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who do not.
Studoc

Post by Studoc »

That's gold....

The thumb drive is on it's way..

Take the rest of the day off....!