DM42 : What a beauty !

Discussion around the SwissMicros DM42 calculator
Vitasam

USB OTG ?

Post by Vitasam »

According to ST datasheet, devices do support USB OTG:

Code: Select all

USB OTG 2.0 full-speed, LPM and BCD
Am I correct that, in theory, DM42 can act as an USB host? So one can plug e.g. usb-2-uart adapter if needed SW support will be done to DM42 firmware?
ijabbott

Re: USB OTG ?

Post by ijabbott »

Vitasam wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:47 am

Am I correct that, in theory, DM42 can act as an USB host? So one can plug e.g. usb-2-uart adapter if needed SW support will be done to DM42 firmware?
Perhaps, but it wouldn't be able to supply any power to the USB device.
Vitasam

Re: USB OTG ?

Post by Vitasam »

ijabbott wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:22 am
Vitasam wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:47 am

Perhaps, but it wouldn't be able to supply any power to the USB device.
Yes, but form-factor of that USB-otg device may look like this with additional AAA batteries.
Vitasam

Re: DM42 : What a beauty !

Post by Vitasam »

Here is the NumWorks calculator is controlling a modified elegoo rover over a serial port.
The calculator is connected to robot with the USB cable, but not using the USB protocol. The data lines of the USB port are remapped to an uart by the firmware.

Could be a very useful feature (if it doable) for DM42 too.
ijabbott

Re: DM42 : What a beauty !

Post by ijabbott »

Vitasam wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:00 pm
Here is the NumWorks calculator is controlling a modified elegoo rover over a serial port.
The calculator is connected to robot with the USB cable, but not using the USB protocol. The data lines of the USB port are remapped to an uart by the firmware.

Could be a very useful feature (if it doable) for DM42 too.
I don't think it's doable for DM42 because the USB data pins are not multiplexed with any UART TX or RX pins on the STM32L476RG. They are multiplexed with the CAN bus controller, so perhaps that's an option.