Troubled waters

General discussion about calculators, SwissMicros or otherwise
Walter

Re: Troubled waters

Post by Walter »

That has been almost a week ago -- an eternity in such cases nowadays. A public statement by SM would be very much appreciated. Even a firm announcement of such a statement would allow some steam getting out of the boiler. Keeping dead silent is no solution where confidence is on stake.
WP43 SN00000, 34S, and 31S for obvious reasons; HP-35, 45, ..., 35S, 15CE, DM16L S/N# 00093, DM42β SN:00041
H2X

Post by H2X »

Walter wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:32 pm
That has been almost a week ago...
Not when I wrote my post. Anyway, let's let Thomas and Swiss Micros work this out, yes? I can certainly wait.
What is the metric tensor in imperial units?
Thomas Okken

Post by Thomas Okken »

H2X wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:22 am
let's let Thomas and Swiss Micros work this out, yes?
I'm not sure if you meant to, but you're making it sound like there are negotiations going on between SwissMicros and me. That is not the case; I'm simply waiting for them to come into compliance.
H2X

Post by H2X »

Thomas Okken wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:07 pm
H2X wrote:
I'm not sure if you meant to, but you're making it sound like there are negotiations going on between SwissMicros and me. That is not the case; I'm simply waiting for them to come into compliance.
I get that, but I assumed you would play a part in the process, at least stating when you are satisfied that compliance is achieved.
Thomas Okken

Post by Thomas Okken »

H2X wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:59 pm
Thomas Okken wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:07 pm
H2X wrote:
I get that, but I assumed you would play a part in the process, at least stating when you are satisfied that compliance is achieved.
Yes. I am keeping an eye on this forum, the MoHPC forum, and the DM42 download area in the SwissMicros web site.
H2X

Post by H2X »

Rough seas make good sailors...

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1866
tbruylan

Post by tbruylan »

Just my 2 cents.

I bought the DM42 for multiple reasons (few months ago). One of these reasons was exactly the fact that it has an open-source firmware. This, to me, means that I can always dig in and fix issues myself (as a software developer) if ever needed.

I've been looking for years to get a good HP-alike calculator, and never really found one (I started out as a kid playing with HP-25C and HP-41C, bought myself a HP-48G in the 90's and then finally the HP-35s in 2000-something, which disappoints in every aspect). Until I heard about SwissMicros' DM42 on hpmuseams.org and the message that they had to open source the code. So, them complying to GPL was what convinced me to become a customer.

I wish more companies were like SwissMicros! The DM42 is superb...