Programming confusion

Post here to share useful tips and tricks, to ask questions about using your DM42 or to report software-related problems
Krauts In Space

Programming confusion

Post by Krauts In Space »

When I'm hacking some code into the DM42 v3.3, one thing confuses me:
when I instert a line the existing lines don't shift one line down.

An example:

Code: Select all

01 LBL"XYZ"
02 42
03 +
04 .End.
When I want to add 23 I go to line 02 and press 23, but ...

Instead, as I expected, after pressing the "2" key the display would look like

01 LBL"XYZ"
02 42
03 2
04 +
05 .End.
it shows

01 LBL"XYZ"
02 42
03 2
04 .End.
Finally the code looks

01 LBL"XYZ"
02 42
03 23
04 +
05 +
06 .End.
Is this a known issue?
Will this be fixed any time, hopefully soon?
With the 2 lines of the HP42s this wasn't evident, but with the up to 8 lines it's confusing.
If Thomas and Michael say this is how the HP42s and Free42 work and I have to live with it, I must live with it. :)
DM15L S/# 10584 FW v25
DM42 S/# 01015 FW v3.5
Thomas Okken

Re: Programming confusion

Post by Thomas Okken »

I'm assuming that after entering 23 you pressed the + key, because I'm not aware of any bug that would cause that second + line in your example to appear out of nowhere.

What you're referring to sounds like a familiar cosmetic issue with program entry on the DM42: when entering a new program line, the following lines are not pushed down (and renumbered) as you might expect; instead, the next line disappears under the new line. Only when you finish, either by completing the new line or by cancelling it by pressing EXIT, is the display fully updated to show everything in the proper order with correct numbers.

The HP-42S and Free42 don't behave this way, because they have two-line screens, and the line being entered is never followed by another line: it is either at the bottom or there's a menu at the bottom.

So, the larger display makes program entry a bit more complex, and the additional logic that would be required to make the listing look consistent in all situations does not yet exist. This has been discussed here before, so it's a known issue, but since it's a strictly cosmetic one, probably not considered high priority by David / Michael / grsbanks.
Krauts In Space

Thomas Okken wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:31 pm
So, the larger display makes program entry a bit more complex, and the additional logic that would be required to make the listing look consistent in all situations does not yet exist. This has been discussed here before, so it's a known issue, but since it's a strictly cosmetic one, probably not considered high priority by David / Michael / grsbanks.
Ok, "not considered hight priority" leaves me with "might be fixed any time" ;)
DM15L S/# 10584 FW v25
DM42 S/# 01015 FW v3.5
Krauts In Space

It also would be helpfull to change behaviour while deleting lines.
When I press "<-" the lines after the deleted line get renumbered. Good!
But the line where the "cursor" is wanders up to top of the display. I'd like to see what's above that line.
Right now I have to go up with the up-cursor key to scroll the code down, go down with down-cursor key to the line of my interest and continue with deleting or inserting.
It's doable but far from comfortable.
DM15L S/# 10584 FW v25
DM42 S/# 01015 FW v3.5
Walter

Post by Walter »

Krauts In Space wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:33 am
It also would be helpfull to change behaviour while deleting lines.
When I press "<-" the lines after the deleted line get renumbered. Good!
But the line where the "cursor" is wanders up to top of the display. I'd like to see what's above that line.
Right now I have to go up with the up-cursor key to scroll the code down, go down with down-cursor key to the line of my interest and continue with deleting or inserting.
It's doable but far from comfortable.
1+ :!:
WP43 SN00000, 34S, and 31S for obvious reasons; HP-35, 45, ..., 35S, 15CE, DM16L S/N# 00093, DM42β SN:00041