Display as printer?

Discussion around the SwissMicros DM42 calculator
Ken S

Display as printer?

Post by Ken S »

Hi,

I was wondering how difficult it would be to add a display option where the bottom of the display is a completely standard size HP42S display showing either X & Y or X and MENUs and using the entire rest of the display as a printer display?

It would allow easy program control of the upper display showing whatever you feel is useful to display in a program. With the printing set to manual it would just show what you have commands in the program to print. With very little program modifications you could display all sorts of useful data. A surveying program could display something like this:

File: Lot177MM2
OC: 27 BS: 26 FS:28
N 27 39' 17" E 247.37'
X 0.0000
Custom Program Menu Buttons

I have no idea how difficult it would be to implement or if is practical at all to do but if it could be done it would allow programmers a really easy method of customizing the display with virtually no overhead.

Ken S.
Walter

Re: Display as printer?

Post by Walter »

Thanks, Ken, for your suggestion. Together with many more recent suggestions this finally makes me suggest (pun intended) that SM or grsbanks create something like a subforum for wishes for future developments. Why? IIRC and AFAIK, the DM42 was and is specified to be an "HP-42S with an extra row of keys and a larger screen". IMHO, this specification is completely fulfilled (AFAIK there are no major bugs). And feature creep is the sure death of each and every reasonable project in my experience (30 years in industry).

So anything like your "display as printer" or whatever else should be put on a wishlist for a DM44 etc. And David and Michael may pick from this list what they want to implement in a future model.
WP43 SN00000, 34S, and 31S for obvious reasons; HP-35, 45, ..., 35S, 15CE, DM16L S/N# 00093, DM42β SN:00041
Ken S

Post by Ken S »

While I would love to see this implemented it wasn't a deal breaker for me. I already bought one. ;)

Not sure if I agree with your description of this being an "HP42S with an extra row of keys and a large screen". I wouldn't have bought one if it didn't have USB communication abilities, and I found the improved Alpha input, the much larger memory, the ability to save states and time functions were what sealed the deal for me.

If this was just a HP42S with an extra row of keys and a large screen I doubt any of us would be here and they wouldn't be selling out quickly. I wouldn't pay $200 dollars for that, would you?

My suggestion may be ridiculously difficult to implement or it could be very simple. I don't know, do you?
toml_12953

Post by toml_12953 »

Walter wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:10 am
Thanks, Ken, for your suggestion. Together with many more recent suggestions this finally makes me suggest (pun intended) that SM or grsbanks create something like a subforum for wishes for future developments. Why? IIRC and AFAIK, the DM42 was and is specified to be an "HP-42S with an extra row of keys and a larger screen". IMHO, this specification is completely fulfilled (AFAIK there are no major bugs). And feature creep is the sure death of each and every reasonable project in my experience (30 years in industry).

So anything like your "display as printer" or whatever else should be put on a wishlist for a DM44 etc. And David and Michael may pick from this list what they want to implement in a future model.
I think you underestimate the power of David and Michael. They can do anything! They can even walk on water (in the Winter when the lake is frozen over) No one can anticipate the wants/needs of all without feedback. They are free to accept or reject any suggestions. These suggestions can make the DM42 an even better product. One positive unintended consequence of keeping them working on the current DM42 is that they won't have time to implement crazy ideas such as a landscape version.
Tom L

Some people call me inept but I'm as ept as anybody!
DM10L SN: 059/100
DM41X SN: 00023 (Beta)
DM41X SN: 00506 (Shipping)
DM42 SN: 00025 (Beta)
DM42 SN: 00221 (Shipping)
WP43 SN: 00025 (Prototype)
keithdalby

Post by keithdalby »

Well there's no need to be so hasty. Some of us are experiencing deep personal existential crises over that issue.
Hans S.

Post by Hans S. »

Ken S wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:34 am
If this was just a HP42S with an extra row of keys and a large screen I doubt any of us would be here and they wouldn't be selling out quickly. I wouldn't pay $200 dollars for that, would you?
Ken, Yes, I would, and I wouldn't buy a Swiss-Micros-Cheesio-Lexas-Instruments-DM 42.75-B-12 Mark XIV in the guise of a HP 42 with touch screen, voice recorder, or what else. Please remember Buddy Rich: "No funny hats".

Yes, I'll buy a Swiss-Micros DM-WP-43, but this is another story.

A HP-42 is a HP-42 is a HP-42.

HAND, Hans