DM1x Processor Speeds vs HP1x originals

Discussion of hardware issues related to the DM1x/DM41. Please ensure that you specifiy whether the issue is related to a credit card size unit or a "Voyager" unit (DM1xL/DM41L).
reavy

DM1x Processor Speeds vs HP1x originals

Post by reavy »

Either my Google foo is not up to snuff or the information isn't available, but I was wondering if anyone knows the original clock speeds of the processors HP used in their calculators. I'm mostly interested in the HP-41 with the "Coconut" processor, but info for others would be welcome, too. This is mostly just to satisfy my curiosity about how efficient the emulation in the DM41 12MHz/48MHz is.
Last edited by reavy on Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grsbanks

Re: DM1x Processor Speeds vs HP1x originals

Post by grsbanks »

If memory serves, the Voyagers' clock was set at 220KHz and that of the Coconuts was 340KHz.

This said, you can't compare clock frequencies of, for example, the DM41 and the HP-41C directly. In the first case, it's the clock of the CPU doing the actual work. In the second case it's the clock of the CPU emulating the one actually doing the work.

This said, the difference is significant. A kind of benchmark that was being explored on the MoHPC forum ran in 313s on the HP-15C and in 15s on the DM15L...
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who do not.
reavy

Post by reavy »

Yes, of course. I understand that you can't compare apples to oranges the bare metal original vs the emulated processors in the SM units.

Thanks very much for the info!
GBonne

Post by GBonne »

Just to compare apples to apples....

Maybe we could come up with a very short (to type) program that covers various key features for the different models and post our timing results here.

And doing so for as many models as possible (well at least the 12, 15 and 41). There are some YouTube video's comparing some speeds but they are not about the same test and rarely cover both original HP's (sometimes various editions like 15C vs 15C LE or 12C vs 12C Platinum) vs the DM equivalents.

I have an original 12C (still 3 LR44 version but late Chinese made) and a 12C Platinum (25th anniversary edition) as well as an original 42s made in Singapore.
akaTB

Post by akaTB »

GBonne wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:28 pm

Maybe we could come up with a very short (to type) program that covers various key features for the different models and post our timing results here.

And doing so for as many models as possible (well at least the 12, 15 and 41). There are some YouTube video's comparing some speeds but they are not about the same test and rarely cover both original HP's (sometimes various editions like 15C vs 15C LE or 12C vs 12C Platinum) vs the DM equivalents.

I have an original 12C (still 3 LR44 version but late Chinese made) and a 12C Platinum (25th anniversary edition) as well as an original 42s made in Singapore.
You might be interested in this http://www.hpmuseum.org/cgi-sys/cgiwrap ... i?read=700
Greetings,
    Massimo
ajcaton
-+×÷ left is right and right is wrong :twisted: Casted in gold
cdmackay

Post by cdmackay »

viewtopic.php?p=4955#p4955 has a few relevant numbers.
Cambridge, UK
41CL/DM41X 12/15C/16C DM15/16 17B/II/II+ 28S 42S/DM42 32SII 48GX 50g 35s WP34S PrimeG2 WP43S/pilot
Casio, Rockwell 18R
GBonne

Post by GBonne »

akaTB wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:15 pm
GBonne wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:28 pm

You might be interested in this http://www.hpmuseum.org/cgi-sys/cgiwrap ... i?read=700
Indeed akaTB... I found the same link when I googled it a bit further today. We can stop my initiative dead in its tracks LOL