A couple additional functions that would be cool to have

Discussion around the SwissMicros DM42 calculator
hpgene

Re: A couple additional functions that would be cool to have

Post by hpgene »

1) I would like to see more math functions:

Q and Q-1 for normal/inverse normal distributions.
T and T-1 for students...
F and F-1 for F
BIO and for Binomial
CORR for correlation
COV for covariance

2) Utility functions for programming

EVEN?
ODD?
X=1?
X=Y(R)? --- which is X = Y rounded to display?
Y=Z? maybe

Yes, I know many of these things are from Angel's HP 41CL roms. :-)
Walter

Post by Walter »

Feel free to copy the function set of the WP 34S ;)
WP43 SN00000, 34S, and 31S for obvious reasons; HP-35, 45, ..., 35S, 15CE, DM16L S/N# 00093, DM42β SN:00041
mcc

Post by mcc »

Hi,

the added alpha keyboard is a great addition to the feature set of the HP42s.
While editing the names of virtual variables I got a little confused about the
state the calculator is currently in, though.

The task was:
Edit strings with a high frequence of lower- and higher case characters.
While staying in alpha mode enter an alpha related command.

I think it is not that uncommon, that a alpha command follows an entry
of a string.
For certain alpha commands like ASTO, ARCL it is necessary to enter HP42s alpha mode
(menu based).

I find it slightly difficult to decide, wether "[ ]" is "above" or "below" / "left" or "right" of "[A]"
or "[a]" if only the active annunciator is visible.

May be it is possible to show all three annunciatore simultanously and the active one inverted.
This would help to choose "BST" or "SST" correctly with only one try.

Only my two cents...your currency may vary ;) :) :) 8)

Cheers
Meino
DM 42 - SN: 00373, Firmware release v.:3.22. / DMCP 3.24. as compiled by SwissMicros
tgray

Post by tgray »

mcc wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:54 pm
ifficult to decide, wether "[ ]" is "above" or "below" / "left" or "right" of "[A]"
or "[a]" if only the active annunciator is visible.
At the very least, if you are on "[a]", shouldn't shift-up take you to "[A]"? It seems backwards to me.
mcc

Post by mcc »

Hi,

there are certain things which are hard to remember in detail (at least for me...;) when it comes to using and programming the DM42.
This isn't an issue of the DM42 and NO implied critism at all! Its just the overwelming amount of possibilities... :)

The included help file is a GREAT feature but due to space limitations it cannot reflect the whole contents of the HP42s user manual of course.

I want to suggest to insert a default link into the index.html help file, which points to another html-file, which can be filled by the user her-/himself. This file is initially empty or says something like "no user defined contents currently available" or so. Since it is in another directory than the index.html it will not be overwritten by firmware updates (...I hope this is correct).

If wanted one can fill this additional file with notes to remember certain aspects of the DM42 later.

A document, what html features can be used in respect to the browser of the DM42, would be nice.

Cheers!
Meino
DM 42 - SN: 00373, Firmware release v.:3.22. / DMCP 3.24. as compiled by SwissMicros
rprosperi

Post by rprosperi »

mcc wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:33 am
I want to suggest to insert a default link into the index.html help file, which points to another html-file...
This has been discussed a couple weeks ago...
--bob p

DM42: β00071 & 00282, DM41X: β00071 & 00656, DM10L: 071/100
Olaf

Post by Olaf »

My tiny contribution to this thread :

Wouldn't it be nice to have an HTML file containing some constants library ( value, description...) and some copy-to-kbd-buffer mechanism in the DM42 help viewer ?, We would get the constant value in the X register upon selection in the HTML file.
This would allow a real eq lib (think HP48G) to be added in the DM42 without altering the Free42 layer.
One could think about extending this "copy to kbd" feature for other uses (insert sample from doc to program space...).

Just an idea thrown in the air.

Olivier
-----------------------------------------------------------------
HP48G, DM42 (# 276), a slide rule and a C compiler :-)
Bernd

Post by Bernd »

I have two proposals for additional functionality:

For the DM-42:
Since my program directory gets crowded more and more I have to scroll a lot until I get to the desired entry. I would like to have a keyboard search similar to that implemented in the WP-34S: Pressing a key brings you to the first entry beginning with the corresponding character. Pressing the second key sets the cursor to entry starting with the two characters and so one. After ~2 seconds pause or using the up and down button the search is reset.
This search mechanism could be applied to the CATALOG, too, e.g. by pressing the shift and character key simultaneously.

For the Free42:
I would find it useful to have all the functions removed from the FCN catalogue the can be found in the menus (also similar to the catalogue implementation in WP-34S). This would make the access to residual functions much faster.

Regards
Bernd
Walter

Post by Walter »

Bernd wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:07 pm
... I would like to have a keyboard search similar to that implemented in the WP-34S: Pressing a key brings you to the first entry beginning with the corresponding character. Pressing the second key sets the cursor to entry starting with the two characters and so one. After ~2 seconds pause or using the up and down button the search is reset.
This search mechanism could be applied to the CATALOG, too, e.g. by pressing the shift and character key simultaneously.
:D 8-)
WP43 SN00000, 34S, and 31S for obvious reasons; HP-35, 45, ..., 35S, 15CE, DM16L S/N# 00093, DM42β SN:00041
tcab

Post by tcab »

akaTB wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:18 pm
Seems like you already resolved this... :lol:
http://www.hpmuseum.org/cgi-sys/cgiwrap ... ead=159644
The link in that thread to Dave’s algorithm is broken, correct link is http://dave.brittens.org/HP42S/StackSave.html.