DM42 Firmware V3.1 available

This is where announcements of official firmware updates provided by SwissMicros for the DM42 calculator will be made.

Please do not post bug reports here. The Usage tips, tricks and problem reports forum is there for that.

Please do not post notices of third party firmware builds here, they will be deleted. Instead, please use the Third Party firmware builds forum for this purpose.
H2X

Re: DM42 Firmware V3.1 available

Post by H2X »

keithdalby wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:49 am
I was taught not to use the Oxford comma at primary school. I was taught to rewrite sentences to avoid ambiguity.
I propose a vote between

Oxford comma
No Oxford comma
OR
Both
OR

:lol:
I believe in free will. Just can't help it.
Thomas_ER

Post by Thomas_ER »

keithdalby wrote:
I was taught not to use the Oxford comma at primary school. I was taught to rewrite sentences to avoid ambiguity. Some of my friends, however, were taught to use it. Same country, same school system, different instructions. It seems what we learn and hold to be true depends on what our teachers were taught.

Turtles all the way down.

I hope you all have an enjoyable 25th December. Or 25 December. Or December 25th. Or December 25. Or 25/12/2017. Or 25/12/17. Or 25.12.2017. Or 12.25.2017. or 12-25-2017. Or 20171225. Or Christmas Day. Or Xmas Day. Or Chrimbo. Or Navidad. Or Noel. Or ........
+1 --- sorry, 1 + :-)
[ HP48/49/50/42S/WP34/HP Prime/ DM42 (#00185+00318) ]
toml_12953

Post by toml_12953 »

H2X wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:20 am
keithdalby wrote:
I was taught not to use the Oxford comma at primary school. I was taught to rewrite sentences to avoid ambiguity.
I propose a vote between

Oxford comma
No Oxford comma
OR
Both
OR

:lol:
Heh, heh! Since you live in Norway, you can't use the Oxford comma. The only countries in the world that can use it are Canada, the USA and Mexico. No continent other than North America allows it in their schools. Sorry UK and Austrailia. Even though your primary language is English, the Oxford comma isn't for you. You do have spreadable yeast extract, however. Yum!
Tom L

Some people call me inept but I'm as ept as anybody!
DM10L SN: 059/100
DM41X SN: 00023 (Beta)
DM41X SN: 00506 (Shipping)
DM42 SN: 00025 (Beta)
DM42 SN: 00221 (Shipping)
WP43 SN: 00025 (Prototype)
Walter

Post by Walter »

toml_12953 wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:04 am
Heh, heh! Since you live in Norway, you can't use the Oxford comma. The only countries in the world that can use it are Canada, the USA and Mexico. No continent other than North America allows it in their schools. Sorry UK and Austrailia. Even though your primary language is English, the Oxford comma isn't for you.
Sir, do I have to teach you the difference between can and may? Haakan can use the Oxford Comma, of course, like anybody else on this planet can do. 8-) Whether it's assessed being an error in schools is a totally different cup of tea. ;) Taking into account educational standards as they seem to be, anything goes in the US of A (well matching the observations here). :? I don't know about Canada. I severely doubt about los Estados Unidos de Mexico - AFAIK they speak and write Spanish there (as they do in the South of the USA frequently). I concur with Thomas in recommending you brushing up your "state of information".
WP43 SN00000, 34S, and 31S for obvious reasons; HP-35, 45, ..., 35S, 15CE, DM16L S/N# 00093, DM42β SN:00041
DA74254

Post by DA74254 »

Hmm, only to ask, and what I vaguely remember; isn't semicolon to be used to avoid disambiguity?
As in "I met with my parents; Jill and Tony" (not mine, just an example), where semicolon is used for statement that is inside one sentence. Thus no need for capital letters as if used colon? (Ok capital letters d.t a name, but) "I left 35c tip; a dime and a quarter", and "You have two choices: Left or right".

Perhaps I'm trampling like an elephant in a glass house here, but beside reading and practicing English, I have not had English lessons in well over 30 years since school.

Btw; I'm a native Norwegian :)
Esben
DM42 SN: 00245, WP43 Pilot SN:00002, DM32 SN: 00045 (Listed in obtained order).
toml_12953

Post by toml_12953 »

Walter wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:27 pm
toml_12953 wrote:
Heh, heh! Since you live in Norway, you can't use the Oxford comma. The only countries in the world that can use it are Canada, the USA and Mexico. No continent other than North America allows it in their schools. Sorry UK and Austrailia. Even though your primary language is English, the Oxford comma isn't for you.
Sir, do I have to teach you the difference between can and may? Haakan can use the Oxford Comma, of course, like anybody else on this planet can do. 8-) Whether it's assessed being an error in schools is a totally different cup of tea. ;) Taking into account educational standards as they seem to be, anything goes in the US of A (well matching the observations here). :? I don't know about Canada. I severely doubt about los Estados Unidos de Mexico - AFAIK they speak and write Spanish there (as they do in the South of the USA frequently). I concur with Thomas in recommending you brushing up your "state of information".
In common American English usage, may and can are used interchangeably. Besides, Trump has banned other countries from using the Oxford comma. If a certain foreign country (run by a "short, fat, sick puppy" in Trump's words) doesn't stop testing and development of Oxford comma technology immediately, the USA will institute sanctions and call for a UN resolution labeling that country as a terrorist state. Unfortunately, the wording was screwed up in all the documents and the term "Oxford comma" was changed with a global search and replace to the term "nuclear weapon." This changed the semantics considerably.
Tom L

Some people call me inept but I'm as ept as anybody!
DM10L SN: 059/100
DM41X SN: 00023 (Beta)
DM41X SN: 00506 (Shipping)
DM42 SN: 00025 (Beta)
DM42 SN: 00221 (Shipping)
WP43 SN: 00025 (Prototype)
Walter

Post by Walter »

toml_12953 wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:33 pm
Walter wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:27 pm
toml_12953 wrote:
In common American English usage, may and can are used interchangeably. Besides, Trump has banned other countries from using the Oxford comma. If a certain foreign country (run by a "short, fat, sick puppy" in Trump's words) doesn't stop testing and development of Oxford comma technology immediately, the USA will institute sanctions and call for a UN resolution labeling that country as a terrorist state. Unfortunately, the wording was screwed up in all the documents and the term "Oxford comma" was changed with a global search and replace to the term "nuclear weapon." This changed the semantics considerably.
As I wrote above already:
Taking into account educational standards as they seem to be, anything goes in the US of A (well matching the observations here).
Don't get excited, just wonder how far unbroken selfconfidence will carry them - before they realize they're just a minor part of the community on this planet. :o :roll:
Last edited by Walter on Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WP43 SN00000, 34S, and 31S for obvious reasons; HP-35, 45, ..., 35S, 15CE, DM16L S/N# 00093, DM42β SN:00041
Geoff Quickfall

Post by Geoff Quickfall »

1) Can is an ability to do something.

2) May is permission to do it.

They are not interchangeable as they have different meanings.

“Geoff can have a scotch.” (This sentence indicates that I have an ability to drink scotch: mouth, throat and etc.)

“ Geoff may not have a scotch.” (This sentence indicates that I do not have permission to have the can of scotch.)

—————————-

I learnt the following with respect to commas: x, y and z. English mother, Canadian father and Canadian school system.

—————————-

Can’t wait to have my book critiqued :D
grsbanks

Post by grsbanks »

Geoff Quickfall wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:46 pm
“ Geoff may not have a scotch.” (This sentence indicates that I do not have permission to have the can of scotch.)
You can buy scotch in cans in Canada? :) I may move there just to see this with my own eyes...
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who do not.
keithdalby

Post by keithdalby »

Geoff Quickfall wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:46 pm
1) Can is an ability to do something.

2) May is permission to do it.
I'm a teacher. When a student asks me if they can go to the toilet, my standard response is, 'I don't know, can you?'

When they return from their exolutions, I tend to ask if they were successful and, when they affirm that they were, exclaim something like, 'glad we solved that little puzzle.'

I also ask if they've washed their hands.