[DM12] Future enhanced firmware?

This is the place to discuss the usage of DM1x/DM41 machines and to share any tips & tricks you may have stumbled across.

If discussing a specific model, please ensure that you prefix topic subjects with the model number this way:

[DM41] How to change the number of program steps available
cbzeller

[DM12] Future enhanced firmware?

Post by cbzeller »

Hello,

I was wondering if there are any plans to release an updated firmware for the DM12 series to add access to extended memory? It would be great to be able to use the extra program lines and/or cash flow registers like on the HP 12C platinum.
Michael
Site Admin

Re: [DM12] Future enhanced firmware?

Post by Michael »

I'm sorry to tell you this is not going to happen in the near future.
Hacks like that require intens disassembling the ROM code and lots of debugging.
cbzeller

Post by cbzeller »

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the reply!

Do you think it would be possible to get the 12C Platinum ROM running on the DM12 hardware? I have no idea if a ROM dump even exists for the 12CP or what its legal status would be, so forgive me if this is a silly question.
grsbanks

Post by grsbanks »

cbzeller wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:24 pm
Do you think it would be possible to get the 12C Platinum ROM running on the DM12 hardware?
That would be a "no".

The 12C Platinum and the 12C are two completely different machines under the bonnet.

The original 12C is based on a NUT processor. The DM1x hardware emulates that processor and is therefore able to run the original machine's ROM.

The 12C Platinum is based on an ARM processor that is nothing like the NUT processor, so the DM1x hardware is totally unsuitable.

There may also be legal ramifications. I know that prior to a certain date, if there was no copyright notice in the ROM then it was fair game, you could use it. I would not be surprised if the 12CP was produced after that date and/or the ROM (not that it is usable) contains a copyright notice.
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who do not.
Michael
Site Admin

Post by Michael »

grsbanks wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:34 pm
... a certain date, if there was no copyright notice in the ROM then it was fair game ...
see http://nonpareil.brouhaha.com/microcode ... ht_status/
cbzeller

Post by cbzeller »

That makes sense. Thank you for the explanation.