43S News

General discussion about calculators, Swiss Micros or otherwise
User avatar
akaTB
Posts: 298
Joined: Tue May 02, 2017 11:56 am

Re: 43S News

Post by akaTB » Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:34 pm

Walter wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:47 pm
H2X wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:52 am
H2X wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:02 am
The perhaps only remaining concern might also be typographical, that these arrows don't seem to be easily represented in HTML (so that the community can contribute docs and examples), e,g, like HTML entities. The f and g do, of course.
... I just found the ↰ and ↱ HTML entities, seemingly even abbreviations for "left shift" and "right shift".
Please give an hexadecimal unicode character code - I can't find any character looking like HP's shift arrows there so far. Thanks in advance.
Something like this?

⮢⮣
⮪⮫
Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ left is right and right is wrong :twisted: Casted in gold

User avatar
ijabbott
Posts: 164
Joined: Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:34 pm
Location: GB-MAN

Re: 43S News

Post by ijabbott » Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:10 pm

Walter wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:47 pm
H2X wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:52 am
H2X wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:02 am
The perhaps only remaining concern might also be typographical, that these arrows don't seem to be easily represented in HTML (so that the community can contribute docs and examples), e,g, like HTML entities. The f and g do, of course.
... I just found the ↰ and ↱ HTML entities, seemingly even abbreviations for "left shift" and "right shift".
Please give an hexadecimal unicode character code - I can't find any character looking like HP's shift arrows there so far. Thanks in advance.
↰ is ↰ U+21B0 (↰) and ↱ is ↱ U+21B1 (↱).

User avatar
Walter
Posts: 1057
Joined: Tue May 02, 2017 9:13 am
Location: Close to FRA, Germany

Re: 43S News

Post by Walter » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:33 pm

Grazie, Massimo, and thanks ijabott!

Looking at the characters you mentioned, #x2BA2 and #x2BA3 are the best fitting ones in my view. And we have ,,, and  in Luiz Vieira's Keyset font. Nevertheless I think the colours are matching the actual use on this keyboard better than direction arrows (see [EXIT] in particular). So I prefer [f] and [g] still.
DM42 SN: 00041 --- Follower of Platon.

HP-35, HP-45, ..., HP-50, WP 34S, WP 31S, DM16L

User avatar
Walter
Posts: 1057
Joined: Tue May 02, 2017 9:13 am
Location: Close to FRA, Germany

Re: 43S News

Post by Walter » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:27 pm

The surface has changed a bit again:
Ausschnitt.png
Ausschnitt.png (9.32 KiB) Viewed 486 times
There are three (3) locations still unoccupied so far. Any ideas for operations which shall go there?
DM42 SN: 00041 --- Follower of Platon.

HP-35, HP-45, ..., HP-50, WP 34S, WP 31S, DM16L

User avatar
Jaymos
Posts: 340
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:03 pm
Location: Cape Town

Re: 43S News

Post by Jaymos » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:59 pm

Walter wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:27 pm
The surface has changed a bit again:

There are three (3) locations still unoccupied so far. Any ideas for operations which shall go there?
I like the introduction of the angle function where it is now, i.e. next to the abs function, and the consequent shuffling makes sense.

I do not have suggestions for functions to occupy the available blanks.

Jaco
Jaco Mostert
Elec Eng, South Africa
WP34C, HP42S, DM42 for complex math; 35S, 28C, 32Sii, WP34S, EL-506P, EL-W506, PB700; owned FX702P & 11C; used 67 & 85. iOS: 42s (Byron), Free42, WP31S/34S, HCalc.
43S operators right. DM42 sn. 03818.

User avatar
H2X
Posts: 418
Joined: Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:00 am
Location: Norway

Re: 43S News

Post by H2X » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:18 pm

Walter wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:27 pm
The surface has changed a bit again:
Ausschnitt.png

There are three (3) locations still unoccupied so far. Any ideas for operations which shall go there?
Could we have an official picture of the entire updated keyboard? :-)
DM42 SN:00040 | Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible - Frank Zappa

cdmackay
Posts: 84
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:33 pm
Location: Cambridge, UK
Contact:

Re: 43S News

Post by cdmackay » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:07 pm

Walter wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:27 pm
The surface has changed a bit again:
Ausschnitt.png

There are three (3) locations still unoccupied so far. Any ideas for operations which shall go there?
%T might be nice (like the 12C), especially given it’s near % & Δ%.

The other thing I program as a user key on most calcs is logy(x), but you may already have that on a key? Just an idea.
Cambridge, UK
41CL 12/15C DM15/16 71B 17B/BII/bII+ 28S 42S/DM42 48GX 50g 35s 30b/WP34S Prime G2
& Casios, Rockwell 18R :)

User avatar
Walter
Posts: 1057
Joined: Tue May 02, 2017 9:13 am
Location: Close to FRA, Germany

Re: 43S News

Post by Walter » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:38 pm

cdmackay wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:07 pm
%T might be nice (like the 12C), especially given it’s near % & Δ%.

The other thing I program as a user key on most calcs is logy(x), but you may already have that on a key? Just an idea.
Logx(y) is an unshifted function in EXP.

%T returns - according to my information - 100 x/y. If this is true then it's a challenge for me to understand the use of this function. Why not just use x/y and do the trivial rest mentally? What do I miss?
DM42 SN: 00041 --- Follower of Platon.

HP-35, HP-45, ..., HP-50, WP 34S, WP 31S, DM16L

toml_12953
Posts: 523
Joined: Wed May 03, 2017 5:46 pm
Location: Malone, NY USA

Re: 43S News

Post by toml_12953 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:57 am

Walter wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:38 pm
cdmackay wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:07 pm
%T might be nice (like the 12C), especially given it’s near % & Δ%.

The other thing I program as a user key on most calcs is logy(x), but you may already have that on a key? Just an idea.
Logx(y) is an unshifted function in EXP.

%T returns - according to my information - 100 x/y. If this is true then it's a challenge for me to understand the use of this function. Why not just use x/y and do the trivial rest mentally? What do I miss?
You can use the answer in other calculations directly without having to add the 100 * yourself maybe.
Tom L

My father was a man of the cloth. He was a tailor.

DM42 SN: 00025 (Beta)
SN: 00221 (Shipping)

rprosperi
Posts: 489
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:48 pm
Location: New York

Re: 43S News

Post by rprosperi » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:54 am

Walter wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:38 pm
%T returns - according to my information - 100 x/y. If this is true then it's a challenge for me to understand the use of this function. Why not just use x/y and do the trivial rest mentally? What do I miss?
%T preserves T, Z, and Y. This is the first thing I assign on the keyboard of any (non-finance) machine I start to use (except any 41C model, where PACK is the first thing I assign and %T is second). Also, one of the fundamental purposes of a calculator is to not have to do the rest mentally.

I support assigning %T and honestly didn't notice until now it was not already available.

But perhaps its a good idea to leave a pair (both f- and g- shifts of a given key) of assignments blank to be used by each owner to assign his/her favorite function which is not assigned. In my case, I'll assign %T to one of them. :)
--bob p

DM42: β00071 & 00282

Post Reply