DM41 keypad legend separating

Discussion of hardware issues related to the DM1x/DM41. Please ensure that you specifiy whether the issue is related to a credit card size unit or a "Voyager" unit (DM1xL/DM41L).
reavy

DM41 keypad legend separating

Post by reavy »

I've noticed that the keypad legend on my DM41 (small size) is separating in the middle near the Enter key. It bubbles up and makes an audible unsticking sound after any keys are pressed in that area.

Anyone else have an issue like this?
Michael
Site Admin

Re: DM41 keypad legend separating

Post by Michael »

Use a hairdryer to heat it up for a few minutes then put some weight on it for several hours and it should be gone.
reavy

Post by reavy »

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the reply. I did as you suggested with an adjustable heat gun and am letting the calculator sit overnight in a clamp. I'll check it in the morning.
reavy

Post by reavy »

After letting it sit overnight in the clamp and after using the heat gun, it stayed stuck on for about an hour and then came off.
GBonne

Post by GBonne »

On my DM15 (same layers, different print/firmware) the keys make a sticky un-sticking sound, from the first day on. It is really like a worn sticker that is removed from a glossy surface at each keypress.

After reading this post I tried the hairdryer trick but it does not work for more than a few minutes.
I have no separation between two keys yet, but my unit is very recent.

Is this un-sticking noise normal?

I chose the "credit card" format vs the DM15L becasue I wanted to introduce the joys of RPN in a very small for my child and let her take it at school when she becomes old enough. Maybe I should have chose the DM15L instead after all.
cdmackay

Post by cdmackay »

My DM16 does the same, has done since I got it…
Cambridge, UK
41CL/DM41X 12/15C/16C DM15/16 17B/II/II+ 28S 42S/DM42 32SII 48GX 50g 35s WP34S PrimeG2 WP43S/pilot
Casio, Rockwell 18R
michel_b

Post by michel_b »

Hello,

I suffer the same from my new DM-15 : And unpleasing (and somewhat worrying) “unsticking” sound at each keypress release.

I was advised by Michael to heat the keyboard with a hair dryer then somewhat compress the device for a while, but I didn't dare to do so and fry the PCB, CPU and LCD... And I wasn't sure it would result in something better. In France we have a proverb that says : « Better is the ennemy of good » ;)

Also I thought a brand new machine shouldn't need such a nasty trick... But here I read that it's the same for different people, so well... I'll consider it's not a “bug” but a “feature” of my DM-15 :roll:
mezoganet

Post by mezoganet »

michel_b wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:09 am
Hello,
I was advised by Michael to heat the keyboard with a hair dryer then somewhat compress the device for a while, but I didn't dare to do so and fry the PCB, CPU and LCD...
My advice of the day would be : if you are bald, this device is not for you :D
HP33E, HP34C, HP41C, HP16C, HP28S, HP42S, HP48S, HP12C, HP35S, DM42, DM41L, DM15L, DM41X (SN#15) and HP3000 @ work during 18 yrs as IT Mgr
michel_b

Post by michel_b »

mezoganet wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:20 pm
My advice of the day would be : if you are bald, this device is not for you :D
Day 2 on the forum, 1st “ad hominem”. uh. Not going into this. :|
keithdalby

Post by keithdalby »

Looks more like a joke than an attack