DM15L keyboard faceplate is separating

Discussion of hardware issues related to the DM1x/DM41. Please ensure that you specifiy whether the issue is related to a credit card size unit or a "Voyager" unit (DM1xL/DM41L).
michel_b

Re: DM15L keyboard faceplate is separating

Post by michel_b »

When I received my DM-41L - beginning of february 2019, about 3 weeks ago - the lower right corner of the faceplate was a bit unsticked, so I pressed firmly with my fingers between the keys and it seemed to stick properly then.

I didn't consider it much of an issue by then.

I however told Michael and he immediately sent me a replacement faceplate, which I didn't use so far as the original seemed to stick.

But seeing this post I checked my calculator - which I left under the (february) sun 10 minutes this morning, and I see the lower right corner is unsticking again...

Seeing the number of posts in this thread I believe that there really is a global quality issue with Swissmicros using a glue that doesn't actually stick.

This is a minor annoyance, but an annoyance anyway.

I wonder if the solution would be to try to insert a very small drop of neoprene glue under the part that doesn't stick and keep it pressed a couple of minutes...

This seems to me related to the difficulty of producing small quasi-artisanal series of devices with an industrial quality.

Besides this, the artisanal make and the use of a metal case closed with screws makes the device much stronger and serviceable overall compared to industrial clipped plastic boxes... On which the serigraphy would be directly printed on the plastic rather than on a sticked metal plate.

The semi-artisanal nature of the devices is both part of their charm and source of minor issues...
rprosperi

Post by rprosperi »

mezoganet wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:57 pm
My DM41L has been ordered on Jan 30th 2019. Out from the box, the bezel did not stick. After mailing Michael with pictures, the solution was to remove the foam under the keyboard. Nothing better, so Michael sent me another bezel. Same problem : bezel does not want to stick.

This device has been used for less than 1 month. I always keep my calcs in their pouches when not used. I have been a calc user for more than 40 Years.

Honestly, I don’t want to play the DIY guy, browse the Internet and look for the right gluing tape for a brand new device. I (we) paid 140€ for this HP41 clone.
I get it, I can understand your frustration about the situation. While it surely seems your unit has an issue, my main point was that issue does not affect all units, and earlier comments could make it appear that way to a casual reader.

However my basic advice remains valid: when you receive faceplate # 3, be sure to thoroughly clean the surface of the calculator body where the adhesive will make contact, or else it too may not stick. Start with some kind of cleaner and Q-tips to remove any of the (2) prior adhesives (I use Goo Gone and others, but WD40 also works) and then re-clean the surface with alcohol to ensure a flat/clean/dry surface for the new adhesive to stick-to.

Hopefully that will solve the problem for good, and if so, please share the "fix" here so future readers with similar issues can resolve the problem.

Thanks
--bob p

DM42: β00071 & 00282, DM41X: β00071 & 00656, DM10L: 071/100
keithdalby

Post by keithdalby »

michel_b wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:06 pm
This seems to me related to the difficulty of producing small quasi-artisanal series of devices with an industrial quality ... The semi-artisanal nature of the devices is both part of their charm and source of minor issues
The issues are so minor. Consider this: you're able to discuss the issues directly with Michael and find a solution. I've paid more for other devices from big companies in the past; companies with no interest in improving the product or supporting its users.

SwissMicros calculators ARE good quality, well built and, most importantly, infinitely more useable than 'big brand' calculators thanks to RPN
michel_b

Post by michel_b »

Agreed.
fcrvincent

Post by fcrvincent »

Thanks pcscote for sharing your fix to the separating faceplate issue.

I also sympathise with mezoganet's frustration especially given the price of those units and the several reports that seem to indicate that this is a known defect of some/most DMxL production batches / possibly a design issue that has been going on for several years.

Everyone I am sure would agree to praise SM's work and fantastic achievement over the years; but why ruin all this with such a trivial issue that could likely be fixed at no cost at production?

Personally I will not buy the DM15L (I intended to buy before finding out this faceplate issue) before the SM fixes this permanently.
keithdalby

Post by keithdalby »

fcrvincent wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:19 pm
several reports that seem to indicate that this is a known defect of some/most DMxL production batches
I would disagree with your conclusion; how could the 'several reports' here be used to suggest that 'most' production units have this issue?
grsbanks

Post by grsbanks »

The "several reports" are, I think, from two individuals and have subsequently been amplified by others picking up the ball and running with it.

For my part, I have 8 Voyager format units. Not one has the key bezel coming off. I also have two DM42 units. The key bezel did come off one, the early beta unit, but not off the production unit.
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who do not.
rprosperi

Post by rprosperi »

fcrvincent wrote:
I also sympathise with mezoganet's frustration especially given the price of those units and the several reports that seem to indicate that this is a known defect of some/most DMxL production batches / possibly a design issue that has been going on for several years.
As noted, of the hundreds (likely thousands) of units sold, 3-4 people have reported this, but by posting it again and again (which is not unreasonable until the problem is resolved), and amplified by other folks' comments in multiple threads, it can seem to be a bigger problem than it really is. Certainly this does not apply to most units, possibly to just a single batch, possibly also to some manufacturing process defect that happens randomly, there is not enough (public) information to conclude anything.

While the owners of these problem units absolutely have the right to voice their issues and concerns here in the forum, consider well the hundreds of other folks that participate, read those concerns, but do not have the problem.
fcrvincent wrote:
Personally I will not buy the DM15L (I intended to buy before finding out this faceplate issue) before the SM fixes this permanently.
Makes sense if such a problem is that serious to you. But the question is how long is long enough to know the issue has been fixed permanently? Permanently is a long time...
--bob p

DM42: β00071 & 00282, DM41X: β00071 & 00656, DM10L: 071/100
fcrvincent

Post by fcrvincent »

The reports we see are no doubt just the "tip of the iceberg". To me the reports do not look like copies of others' reports. Just look at the recent Youtube review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCshnVVuHTI&t=383s - the guy even explains that had the unit replaced once by SM and received another unit with the same problem! Also look at this thread.

SM is no doubt aware of the issue and should do something about it in my view.

And yes a detaching faceplate is sufficiently serious to dissuade me from purchasing a £100 calculator.
keithdalby

Post by keithdalby »

fcrvincent wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:50 pm
SM is no doubt aware of the issue and should do something about it in my view.
The implication being that they are not? Just contact Michael and ask him if you have an issue.