DM15L keyboard faceplate is separating

Discussion of hardware issues related to the DM1x/DM41. Please ensure that you specifiy whether the issue is related to a credit card size unit or a "Voyager" unit (DM1xL/DM41L).
HPMike

DM15L keyboard faceplate is separating

Post by HPMike »

The black keyboard faceplate with the yellow shifted legends is separating from the housing, mainly at the lower left and right corners. It is especially noticeable over the ON key, where it is about 1 mm above it. I have tried in vain to press it down very hard to regain adhesion. Has anyone else experienced this problem, and if so have you found a solution ?
DM15L, S/N 00548. DM42, SN: 00159. DM41X, SN: 00973. DM32, SN 00054.
rprosperi

Re: DM15L keyboard faceplate is separating

Post by rprosperi »

HPMike wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:54 pm
The black keyboard faceplate with the yellow shifted legends is separating from the housing, mainly at the lower left and right corners. It is especially noticeable over the ON key, where it is about 1 mm above it. I have tried in vain to press it down very hard to regain adhesion. Has anyone else experienced this problem, and if so have you found a solution ?
See this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=240

Although this particular thread is about the DM42, the construction techniques, bezel mounting, and materials discussed and recommended should apply to the DM1xL series as well.
--bob p

DM42: β00071 & 00282, DM41X: β00071 & 00656, DM10L: 071/100
Michael
Site Admin

Post by Michael »

HPMike wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:54 pm
I can send you a new faceplate.
When did you get this unit? Order number?
HPMike

Post by HPMike »

Michael wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:12 pm
I can send you a new faceplate.
When did you get this unit? Order number?
I received it in September, 2015 and the order number is 3024. The S/N is 00548. Is the faceplate adhesive backed ?
HPMike

Post by HPMike »

This is a followup to this issue.

I received a new replacement faceplate from Michael (thank you), and the problem persists. After removing the old faceplate and throughly cleaning the case surface around the keys, I installed the new faceplate and applied downward pressure along all the seams with adhesive backer. Initially, the faceplate remained flush with the case, but then gradually pulled away in the same lower lefthand corner as before. Upon careful examination, it is apparent that the culprit is the case, which is warped in that area, causing the faceplate to be flexed. The faceplate is fairly stiff metal, so it pulls away and the adhesive is not strong enough to hold it down. Michael could send me another faceplate, but this would not solve the problem unless a much stronger adhesive is used. So, ATM, the only solution that I can see is to replace the entire front case.

Another hardware issue I’m having is that some of the blue lettering is chipping off some of the keys.
fcrvincent

Post by fcrvincent »

Is there a solution to the lifting keyboard face plate?

A recent review of the DM15L on Youtube states: "This SwissMicros DM15L is the second unit I've had, when the first unit arrived the keyboard overlay was lifting from the calculator. I contacted SwissMicros and they said to return it and they'd send out a replacement. This unit is the replacement. When I opened the box this unit too has a keyboard overlay lifting up from the calculator! These are not cheap calculators, it costs around £100! SwissMicros have done a fantastic job recreating these calculators, they have produced a quality calculator that capture the essence of the HP classics... so why can't they use a glue that actually sticks??!!"

This seems to affect even the most recent production batch.
pcscote

Post by pcscote »

I had similar issues with several of my DM calculators. (DM42, DM16L & DM41L)

I bought a double sided tape that is generally used to keep some pieces together in mobile phones.
I am at the office right now, but I will post the detail of the tape tonight. (GMT-5)

What I did, was ...
  1. remove the faceplate from the calculator
  2. remove the gum from the back of the faceplate and from the calculator
  3. be sure to have no grease on the back of the faceplate and on the calculator
  4. apply the double sided tape to the back of the faceplate
  5. reinstall the faceplate to the calculator
The issue, in my case, is now solve permanently.

Edit: I found the 3M tape information in one of my another post on this forum.
[DM1x/DM1xL/DM41/DM41L/DM41X/DM42]
mezoganet

Post by mezoganet »

pcscote wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:19 pm
I had similar issues with several of my DM calculators. (DM42, DM16L & DM41L)

I bought a double sided tape that is generally used to keep some pieces together in mobile phones.
I am at the office right now, but I will post the detail of the tape tonight. (GMT-5)

What I did, was ...
  1. remove the faceplate from the calculator
  2. remove the gum from the back of the faceplate and from the calculator
  3. be sure to have no grease on the back of the faceplate and on the calculator
  4. apply the double sided tape to the back of the faceplate
  5. reinstall the faceplate to the calculator
The issue, in my case, is now solve permanently.

Edit: I found the 3M tape information in one of my another post on this forum.
I have the same issue with my DM41L, even with the second faceplate sent by Michael. My DM41L was bought 3 weeks ago and the problem appeared from the very first hour of the first day.

Why can’t SwissMicros solve this faceplate gluing issue after 2~3 years ?

I have to wait next week as Michael is back from holidays to get a third faceplate.

So, Voyager series has a serious issue with gluing/faceplate.

PS: My DM42 is ok
HP33E, HP34C, HP41C, HP16C, HP28S, HP42S, HP48S, HP12C, HP35S, DM42, DM41L, DM15L, DM41X (SN#15) and HP3000 @ work during 18 yrs as IT Mgr
rprosperi

Post by rprosperi »

mezoganet wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:30 pm
Not all SM Voyagers. I've had a DM15L for a few years, used semi-frequently (a few times each week, maybe 2 weeks) and have never had any kind of faceplate separation; perhaps the issue depends on environmental conditions, or possibly your unit was not cleaned properly during original assembly?

Why not give Sylvain's suggestion a try? If the cause is either of the 2 I listed above (or even some others) adding a 3rd faceplate may still not solve the problem, but if the chassis mounting face is properly cleaned and you use the 2-sideded tape, it should solve the problem as it has for several other folks. I'd say it's worth a shot.
--bob p

DM42: β00071 & 00282, DM41X: β00071 & 00656, DM10L: 071/100
mezoganet

Post by mezoganet »

rprosperi wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:53 pm
mezoganet wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:30 pm
... perhaps the issue depends on environmental conditions, or possibly your unit was not cleaned properly during original assembly?

Why not give Sylvain's suggestion a try? If the cause is either of the 2 I listed above (or even some others) adding a 3rd faceplate may still not solve the problem, but if the chassis mounting face is properly cleaned and you use the 2-sideded tape, it should solve the problem as it has for several other folks. I'd say it's worth a shot.
Bob,

My DM41L has been ordered on Jan 30th 2019. Out from the box, the bezel did not stick. After mailing Michael with pictures, the solution was to remove the foam under the keyboard. Nothing better, so Michael sent me another bezel. Same problem : bezel does not want to stick.

This device has been used for less than 1 month. I always keep my calcs in their pouches when not used. I have been a calc user for more than 40 Years.

Honestly, I don’t want to play the DIY guy, browse the Internet and look for the right gluing tape for a brand new device. I (we) paid 140€ for this HP41 clone.

As I wrote in another thread : this is a quality issue, not a customer concern.

More frustrated than angry.

Patrick
HP33E, HP34C, HP41C, HP16C, HP28S, HP42S, HP48S, HP12C, HP35S, DM42, DM41L, DM15L, DM41X (SN#15) and HP3000 @ work during 18 yrs as IT Mgr