DM15L keyboard faceplate is separating

Discussion of hardware issues related to the DM1x/DM41. Please ensure that you specifiy whether the issue is related to a credit card size unit or a "Voyager" unit (DM1xL/DM41L).
HPMike

DM15L keyboard faceplate is separating

Post by HPMike » Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:54 pm

The black keyboard faceplate with the yellow shifted legends is separating from the housing, mainly at the lower left and right corners. It is especially noticeable over the ON key, where it is about 1 mm above it. I have tried in vain to press it down very hard to regain adhesion. Has anyone else experienced this problem, and if so have you found a solution ?
DM15L, S/N 00548. DM42, SN: 00159.

rprosperi

Re: DM15L keyboard faceplate is separating

Post by rprosperi » Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:46 am

HPMike wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:54 pm
The black keyboard faceplate with the yellow shifted legends is separating from the housing, mainly at the lower left and right corners. It is especially noticeable over the ON key, where it is about 1 mm above it. I have tried in vain to press it down very hard to regain adhesion. Has anyone else experienced this problem, and if so have you found a solution ?
See this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=240

Although this particular thread is about the DM42, the construction techniques, bezel mounting, and materials discussed and recommended should apply to the DM1xL series as well.
--bob p

DM42: β00071 & 00282

Michael
Site Admin

Post by Michael » Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:12 pm

HPMike wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:54 pm
I can send you a new faceplate.
When did you get this unit? Order number?

HPMike

Post by HPMike » Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:18 pm

Michael wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:12 pm
I can send you a new faceplate.
When did you get this unit? Order number?
I received it in September, 2015 and the order number is 3024. The S/N is 00548. Is the faceplate adhesive backed ?

HPMike

Post by HPMike » Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:18 pm

This is a followup to this issue.

I received a new replacement faceplate from Michael (thank you), and the problem persists. After removing the old faceplate and throughly cleaning the case surface around the keys, I installed the new faceplate and applied downward pressure along all the seams with adhesive backer. Initially, the faceplate remained flush with the case, but then gradually pulled away in the same lower lefthand corner as before. Upon careful examination, it is apparent that the culprit is the case, which is warped in that area, causing the faceplate to be flexed. The faceplate is fairly stiff metal, so it pulls away and the adhesive is not strong enough to hold it down. Michael could send me another faceplate, but this would not solve the problem unless a much stronger adhesive is used. So, ATM, the only solution that I can see is to replace the entire front case.

Another hardware issue I’m having is that some of the blue lettering is chipping off some of the keys.