Petition to allow RPN calculators in UK public examinations

General discussion about calculators, SwissMicros or otherwise
keithdalby

Petition to allow RPN calculators in UK public examinations

Post by keithdalby »

I have started a petition to see if we can get some support for changing the 'allowed calculators lists' for public examinations. I believe that there are actually 'banned calculator lists', rather than 'allowed calculator lists' but I would want to make sure that RPN calculators are explicitly permitted in UK examinations.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petition ... f8IJWOr3mw

If I can get this petition of the ground, I'll move on to seeing if I can sway the opinions of some of the universities too. Cambridge, for example, allow only two models of Casio calculators in their Natural Science exams, I believe, neither of which is any good (in my opinion). It is a crying shame that RPN calculators are not allowed in university-level examinations.

If you feel inclined and have a spare email address to which you do not mind being sent spam (because it would surely generate that), please consider signing the petition?
grsbanks

Re: Petition to allow RPN calculators in UK public examinations

Post by grsbanks »

Done, because i agree that it encourages a better understanding of the expression being evaluated and that can only be a good thing.
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who do not.
toml_12953

Post by toml_12953 »

keithdalby wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:36 pm
I have started a petition to see if we can get some support for changing the 'allowed calculators lists' for public examinations. I believe that there are actually 'banned calculator lists', rather than 'allowed calculator lists' but I would want to make sure that RPN calculators are explicitly permitted in UK examinations.
It's little consolation but If I lived in the UK, I'd certainly sign it. Good luck with your petition!
Tom L

Some people call me inept but I'm as ept as anybody!
DM10L SN: 059/100
DM41X SN: 00023 (Beta)
DM41X SN: 00506 (Shipping)
DM42 SN: 00025 (Beta)
DM42 SN: 00221 (Shipping)
WP43 SN: 00025 (Prototype)
ijabbott

Post by ijabbott »

There was a consultation on regulating the use of calculators in GCSEs, AS and A levels a couple of years ago.

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultat ... d-a-levels
keithdalby

Post by keithdalby »

ijabbott wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:09 pm
There was a consultation on regulating the use of calculators in GCSEs, AS and A levels a couple of years ago.

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultat ... d-a-levels
Thank you for this. Problem is, I've read through it now and I'm none the wiser about what the consultation was about or what the outcomes were. Democracy, ladies and gentlemen.
ijabbott

Post by ijabbott »

keithdalby wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:34 pm
Thank you for this. Problem is, I've read through it now and I'm none the wiser about what the consultation was about or what the outcomes were. Democracy, ladies and gentlemen.
I think the consultation was about whether the exam boards' existing rules for calculator usage in exams should be regulated. The current joint regulations that the exam boards use are listed in section 3 (page 13) of the PDF downloadable from Instructions for Conducting Examinations 2017-2018.

To summarize the existing rules, the "must nots" include these facilities: language translators, symbolic algebra manipulation, symbolic differentiation or integration, communication with other machines or the internet; and they must not have retrievable information stored on them such as: databanks, dictionaries, mathematical formulas, and text. Other rules are to prohibit lids etc. that have printed instructions or formulas, ensuring that the candidate clears anything stored in the calculator, etc.
keithdalby

Post by keithdalby »

That's tremendously helpful, thank you. Looks like the battleground is at university level, not high school level
budmur

Post by budmur »

There are similar rules in the USA, so it's probably something that is encountered everywhere. Even beyond university there are rules about calculators. The NCEES (the group that administrates Professional Engineering testing) has a similar acceptable calculator policy. I believe it is about exam integrity; that is, they want to ensure that exam questions are not smuggled out to give future test takers an unfair advantage. The HP-35S is allowed because alpha entry is limited to a single character.
DM42 S/N 00039
williamlim13

Post by williamlim13 »

Wish you success in the petition. So far at the place where I live, rpn calculators are only allowed at University level, lower level Institute of Education are not allowed.
grsbanks

Post by grsbanks »

ijabbott wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:18 pm
To summarize the existing rules, the "must nots" include these facilities: language translators, symbolic algebra manipulation, symbolic differentiation or integration, communication with other machines or the internet; and they must not have retrievable information stored on them such as: databanks, dictionaries, mathematical formulas, and text. Other rules are to prohibit lids etc. that have printed instructions or formulas, ensuring that the candidate clears anything stored in the calculator, etc.
The problem most likely lies with training the invigilators so that they know how to check that a calculator being brought into an examination does not fall foul of any of these "must nots." If only two specific calculators are allowed, that's just two calculators that the invigilators have to be taught how to use or at least check.
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who do not.