Request for Links to Open in New Windows

General discussion about calculators, SwissMicros or otherwise
rprosperi

Request for Links to Open in New Windows

Post by rprosperi »

I'd like to request the SM Forum configuration be changed such that clicking on links in a Forum post will open that link in a new Browser Window (or preferably, simply open in a new tab if such granularity is available - it seems it is as MoHPC Forums does this, and I believe that is an older version of myBB). As currently configured, clicking a link opens that link in the current browser window, so when done reading that, one must use Browser Back navigation to get back to the SM pages.

Most well-established Forums follow the 'open in new window' model; one reason is it makes it easier on new users that click a link, read that, then close the window and are surprised and/or confused that the Forum they came from is gone.

I am not a myBB admin, but I'd guess such a change is trivial, probably just a check-box on some configuration change.

Thanks for listening.
--bob p

DM42: β00071 & 00282, DM41X: β00071 & 00656, DM10L: 071/100
akaTB

Re: Request for Links to Open in New Windows

Post by akaTB »

rprosperi wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:05 am
I'd like to request the SM Forum configuration be changed such that clicking on links in a Forum post will open that link in a new Browser Window (or preferably, simply open in a new tab.
1 +

Too often I have to hunt for recently closed tabs... :oops:
Greetings,
    Massimo
ajcaton
-+×÷ left is right and right is wrong :twisted: Casted in gold
dlachieze

Post by dlachieze »

rprosperi wrote:
(or preferably, simply open in a new tab if such granularity is available - it seems it is as MoHPC Forums does this, and I believe that is an older version of myBB).
While the MoHPC forum is a myBB forum, this one runs with phpBB, so this explains the difference.
rprosperi wrote:
I am not a myBB admin, but I'd guess such a change is trivial, probably just a check-box on some configuration change.
I'm not a forum admin either but this change doesn't seem trivial with phpBB.

There's an interesting discussion on this topic on the phpBB forum :Open external links in new tab/window.

From what I can read, it appears that the current way of opening links in current tab is the way defined by the W3C HTML standard, and that the user can choose to open the link in a different tab/window with a middle-click or right-click.
DM42: 00425 - DM41X: β00066 - WP43: 00042
rprosperi

Post by rprosperi »

dlachieze wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:38 am
There's an interesting discussion on this topic on the phpBB forum :Open external links in new tab/window.

From what I can read, it appears that the current way of opening links in current tab is the way defined by the W3C HTML standard, and that the user can choose to open the link in a different tab/window with a middle-click or right-click.
Thanks for finding and posting that Didier.

Like most such discussions, this one quickly came down to each side saying "I want it my way because that's how I like it", rather than real discussion of the merits for their preference. It seems clear this (https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/extension/elonw/) free plugin can provide this feature if desired; my question is: is it desired?

Noting that this is called for in the W3C standard, but then also noting that Google, Microsoft, Yahoo and other major portals don't follow W3C standards (if indeed this is a specified standard) makes that pretty much a moot point, IMHO.

Bottom line: This is not a big problem. I've been right-clicking to open in a new tab all along, I just thought I'd post this request to see if other users here agree that changing to this is better or not.
--bob p

DM42: β00071 & 00282, DM41X: β00071 & 00656, DM10L: 071/100
jfb9301

Post by jfb9301 »

CTRL+click also directly opens links in new tabs.
Leechpool

Post by Leechpool »

For what it's worth and I'm not sure how universal this will be, but I just middle click on a post using my mouse wheel as a button and that opens posts in a new tab. This doesn't even need a second hand for CTRL...I use Firefox in Linux.
:)

Edit: I just tried it in Windows 10 with IE, and it works the same. Really is useful for browsing where you want to open several links in new tabs to be able to just click click etc. not worrying about CTRL or right click etc...might help someone who hasn't come across this "feature"....
grsbanks

Post by grsbanks »

I think we'll be leaving the settings as they are because, if you force a link to open in a new tab/page, you can't actually get it to open in the same page any more.

With things as they are, you have the choice, and the only hardship in opening in a new tab is remembering to do it...
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who do not.
DA74254

Post by DA74254 »

Leechpool wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:07 pm
For what it's worth and I'm not sure how universal this will be, but I just middle click on a post using my mouse wheel as a button and that opens posts in a new tab. This doesn't even need a second hand for CTRL...I use Firefox in Linux.
:)

Edit: I just tried it in Windows 10 with IE, and it works the same. Really is useful for browsing where you want to open several links in new tabs to be able to just click click etc. not worrying about CTRL or right click etc...might help someone who hasn't come across this "feature"....
Well, not all of us use a desktop PC with mouse.
On my Dell laptop I have to ctrl+click. If I, as I did on my Samsung laptop, use to-finger-tap I get a "right-click" menu and have to "open in new tab", whereas on the Samsung it acted as a middle-mouse-click.

To me it's annoying and I would also request a default of open in new tab while clicking.
Same with my tab or phone; long-click and choose "open in new tab".

Edit:
A motorcycle forum I read is phpBB as this, and it has a default of open in new tab, so it's possible.
Esben
DM42 SN: 00245, WP43 Pilot SN:00002, DM32 SN: 00045 (Listed in obtained order).