DM42

General discussion about calculators, Swiss Micros or otherwise
Michael
Site Admin
Posts: 227
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:31 pm

Re: DM42

Post by Michael » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:17 pm

Today I received the first of many parcels, all of the same shipment.
They all should have arrived last Tuesday, no idea where they got stuck.
Unfortunately it's rather unlikely all other parcels being delivered this Friday.
So, it'll be next week.

toml_12953
Posts: 442
Joined: Wed May 03, 2017 5:46 pm
Location: Malone, NY USA

Re: DM42

Post by toml_12953 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:43 pm

Kizuna wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:56 am
Sick. I've been waiting since I found out about it a couple of months ago, and am excited to see it. I also hope to get it as a late birthday present for my father
My dyslexia kicked in and I read that as "I also hope to get it as a birthday present for my late father" :o
Tom L

¡spuǝıɹɟ uɐılɐɹʇsnɐ ʎɯ llɐ oʇ ıH
DM42 SN: 00025 (Beta)
SN: 00221 (Shipping)

User avatar
Leechpool
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:12 pm

Re: DM42

Post by Leechpool » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:34 am

Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask this, but I was wondering does the DM42 have unit conversions and physical constants e.g. as per the original WP 43S intention? quote from WP 43S feature list:
More than 80 unit conversions provided (e.g. to and from dB)
More than 50 physical constants (state of CODATA 2014)

Thanks
:D

Michael
Site Admin
Posts: 227
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:31 pm

Re: DM42

Post by Michael » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:38 am

Leechpool wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:34 am
Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask this, but I was wondering does the DM42 have unit conversions and physical constants e.g. as per the original WP 43S intention? quote from WP 43S feature list:
More than 80 unit conversions provided (e.g. to and from dB)
More than 50 physical constants (state of CODATA 2014)
The DM42 is based on Free42. Check the features of Free42 and you know ...

Thomas Okken
Posts: 484
Joined: Tue May 02, 2017 3:48 pm
Location: New Jersey, USA
Contact:

Re: DM42

Post by Thomas Okken » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:39 am

Michael wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:38 am
Leechpool wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:34 am
Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask this, but I was wondering does the DM42 have unit conversions and physical constants e.g. as per the original WP 43S intention? quote from WP 43S feature list:
More than 80 unit conversions provided (e.g. to and from dB)
More than 50 physical constants (state of CODATA 2014)
The DM42 is based on Free42. Check the features of Free42 and you know ...
But the DM42 does have some functionality on top of what it inherits from Free42, so the question is not entirely unjustified.

Still, the answer is no: like the HP-42S, Free42 and the DM42 offer no conversions other than degrees <-> radians; decimal degrees/hours <-> degrees/hours, minutes, and seconds; and rectangular <-> polar.

However, look for "Convert" in my HP-42S/Free42 program collection: http://thomasokken.com/free42/42progs/

User avatar
Walter
Posts: 773
Joined: Tue May 02, 2017 9:13 am
Location: Close to FRA, Germany

Re: DM42

Post by Walter » Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:09 am

Leechpool wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:34 am
Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask this, but I was wondering does the DM42 have unit conversions and physical constants e.g. as per the original WP 43S intention? quote from WP 43S feature list:
More than 80 unit conversions provided (e.g. to and from dB)
More than 50 physical constants (state of CODATA 2014)
Please note that DM42 and WP43S are different SW using the same HW. Anything published about WP43S may have forstered DM42 but was and is in no way binding for DM42.

And before you ask: SW work for WP43S hasn't really started yet - not for lack of interest but for lack of staff (i.e. capable people with sufficient spare time willing to devote it to this SW project).

((Edited to correct two errors in a foreign language.))
DM42 SN: 00041 --- Follower of Platon.

HP-35, HP-45, ..., HP-50, WP 34S, WP 31S, DM16L

User avatar
Leechpool
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:12 pm

Re: DM42

Post by Leechpool » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:05 am

Thanks for the answers. It's made things clearer.
I'm not a calculator expert....I "grew up" with calculators in the 80s. They were I think what would be called immediate action i.e. to get sin of an angle you type angle then hit sin, but to add things you'd still type 1+3=....I've started doing a lot of maths and physics in later life and have been immensely frustrated with the algebraic type entry of the general current offerings. It just stops me in my tracks. I did some research and decided to try RPL. It took a while, but I've now started to think in RPL and can do sums quite quickly again on my HP35S and HP34S.
I love what the team is doing with swissmicros and will definitely be buying a DM42 (and a WP43S if it makes it over the line).
Again, huge appreciation for all the work the team is doing.
:D

grsbanks
Posts: 703
Joined: Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:23 am
Location: Preston, Lancs, UK

Re: DM42

Post by grsbanks » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:17 am

Leechpool wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:05 am
Thanks for the answers. It's made things clearer. [...]

I did some research and decided to try RPL. It took a while, but I've now started to think in RPL and can do sums quite quickly again on my HP35S and HP34S.
Hopefully I won't muddy the waters again for you but the HP-35S, WP 34S (is that what you meant?), HP-42S and DM42 are not RPL machines. They are RPN machines. If you want to have a closer look at RPL then you should probably be trying to get hold of an HP 50g or one of the older HP-48 series.
Not SwissMicros staff, just an enthusiast.

User avatar
Walter
Posts: 773
Joined: Tue May 02, 2017 9:13 am
Location: Close to FRA, Germany

Re: DM42

Post by Walter » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:09 pm

grsbanks wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:17 am
Leechpool wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:05 am
Thanks for the answers. It's made things clearer. [...]

I did some research and decided to try RPL. It took a while, but I've now started to think in RPL and can do sums quite quickly again on my HP35S and HP34S.
Hopefully I won't muddy the waters again for you but the HP-35S, WP 34S (is that what you meant?), HP-42S and DM42 are not RPL machines. They are RPN machines. If you want to have a closer look at RPL then you should probably be trying to get hold of an HP 50g or one of the older HP-48 series.
@Leechpool: The real differences between RPN and RPL show up in programming. Though there are some significant ones in manual operation as well. Feel free to gather information elsewhere - it's an almost religious topic, so flame wars are just around the corner.
DM42 SN: 00041 --- Follower of Platon.

HP-35, HP-45, ..., HP-50, WP 34S, WP 31S, DM16L

grsbanks
Posts: 703
Joined: Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:23 am
Location: Preston, Lancs, UK

Re: DM42

Post by grsbanks » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:26 pm

Walter wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:09 pm
@Leechpool: The real differences between RPN and RPL show up in programming.
Exactly. RPL is basically a structured language with many high-level constructs such as definite and indefinite loops, local variables and much more. RPN machines are keystroke programmable, ie. programs are basically scripts that "press" the calculator's keys on your behalf, albeit with some rudimentary looping constructs.
Walter wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:09 pm
Though there are some significant ones in manual operation as well.
...The biggest one being the stack. RPL machines have a stack with a depth that is limited only by the available memory. Each stack level can contain any kind of object that the calculator knows how to manage, so that's not only real and complex numbers and matrices but also lists of objects, programs, libraries, entire directories, strings and more. Whenever values are used they are removed from the stack, and the stack shrinks again.

RPN machines have a fixed stack with (usually) 4 levels: X, Y, Z and T. As values are pushed onto the stack, those already present are pushed upwards with the original value in T being lost (replaced with the value in Z). When values are combined to provide a result in X, they are popped off the stack with the value in T being duplicated into Z. Some programs rely on this duplication to work and would need changing to work on RPL machines whose stacks shrink instead of duplicating downwards.
Not SwissMicros staff, just an enthusiast.

Post Reply