Cons (predominantly) and pros (if any) of agile development

General discussion about calculators, SwissMicros or otherwise
H2X

Re: Cons (predominantly) and pros (if any) of agile development

Post by H2X »

Mark Hardman wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:01 pm
My professional opinion after a decade of Agile methodology is extremely, extremely negative. I've seen much better results using Waterfall. Please, give me thousands of pages of well thought out project documentation before starting development in earnest.

Explaining Software Development Methods By Flying To Mars [Comic]
Loved that comic! :D

It actually occured to me earlier that maybe Agile wouldn't have been the right thing for the Apollo project. But then again, I don't think money was an issue. Obviously, the goal was also fixed.

That said, it would be interesting to see if not some principles now called Agile might be have been observed, e.g.
  • Build projects around motivated individuals. Give them the environment and support they need, and trust them to get the job done.
  • Continuous attention to technical excellence and good design enhances agility.
Sounds like bleeding obvious common sense to me - I certainly hope to see them exercised more anywhere - in any project, Agile or otherwise.
I believe in free will. Just can't help it.
akaTB

Post by akaTB »

Mark Hardman wrote:
Please, give me thousands of pages of well thought out project documentation before starting development in earnest.
Hear, hear!
Greetings,
    Massimo
ajcaton
-+×÷ left is right and right is wrong :twisted: Casted in gold
H2X

Post by H2X »

akaTB wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:36 am
Mark Hardman wrote:
Please, give me thousands of pages of well thought out project documentation before starting development in earnest.
Hear, hear!
I don't disagree. At all. I'd rather walk my dog (which in fact is quite enjoyable, you should see that happy creature when I say the magic word) than engage in fruitless / wasteful work - especially when somebody cannot be bothered to sit down and do the necessary thinking. Even if I am paid to do that work (and I can afford it).

But what if you can't have said documentation?

Reason might include money, your customer might himself want to be "agile" (unwilling or -able to commit), etc. But does the reason really matter?
I believe in free will. Just can't help it.