WP43 Alternative key layout --> C43

This area is for discussion about these families of custom high-end Scientific Calculator applications for SwissMicros devices.
Jaymos

WP43 Alternative key layout --> C43

Post by Jaymos »

This thread continues from the discussions on an alternate and unofficial key layout on ‘43S News’, page 41, viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1816&p=11255&hilit= ... ead#p11255

Original post: 2019-07-22
1st Edit: 2019-07-26, added Section E below.
2nd edit: 2019-08-04, added and changed text; added latest image.
3rd edit: 2019-08-05 updated image.
4th edit: 2019-08-30 updated all old text and image to the latest state of the project.
5th edit: 2019-09-16 updated link to firmware and simulator.
6th edit: 2020-02-05 updated links, photos and small edits.
7th edit: 2022-10-31 updated title and details.

In short, I’m making a variation of the WP43 called C43 (C for classic), which is added on to the code of the mainstream WP43 project. The C43 is more compatible with the key layout (not the functionality) of the HP42S and DM42.

Although the main WP43 project released its first real tangible calculators yesterday (2022-10-30) at Allschwil, work is proceeding and updates coming and hence this C43 fork is also far from finished. Many changes are happening in both. There are no time lines: It will be finished when it's done ;-)

Comments, advice and requests are welcomed, but be aware I don’t make choices based on logic only, as legacy and whims play a role.

We test our changes on the both the simulator and DM42. Code is available as per GPL. Source code is published on: https://gitlab.com/Jaymos/wp43c.
Pre-alpha Windows simulator and DM42 image are available on the download page at https://www.classic43.com. Resources are on the same page.

A: Goals:

1. To not tax or delay the main project with this effort. 100% achieved thus far.
2. To make it work on the DM42 and use the primary key labels unchanged from the DM42 keyboard. A shifted function label overlay will still be needed, but no key stickers. Achieved thus far.
3. To make a version of the C43 work on an unmodified DM42. Achieved.
4. To maintain some of the legacy and familiarity of the HP42S. Achieved.
5. To tap into and use the brilliant work, features, functions and operation of the main WP43 project. Continuing.
6. To remember this is not a HP42S or DM42 and therefore there is limit to compatibility.
7. To add functions that we wanted as options on a calculator, some of which were rejected by the main project, i.e. SIGFIG, UNITS, eRPN, Double CLX DROP and many others.

B. What is WP43C?

Differences between WP43S and WP43C are documented in http://cocoon-creations.com/download/WP ... s_v047.pdf.
  • The WP43C is a derivative of, and has a variation to the user interface of the WP43S. The math engine and many administrative and UI functions and modules are not modified and operation is largely the same as on the WP43S.
  • The main driving force was that many (over the years) have expressed their needs for having the operators on the right side vs. left, and that that has been a division factor from the onset on the WP43S project. This was my personal motivation to start this sub-project.
  • The second driving force was that the intended platform of the WP43S is the DM42 hardware and that there is no easy way to use the existing hardware and keyboard in a professional manner for unmodified operation of the WP43S.
  • The third driving force was that many of the shifted menus are very alike HP42S and DM42 counterparts but were located in vastly different areas of the keyboard and that for “muscle memory” reasons, this had to be aligned where possible.
  • On the WP43C, the key and function key layout aligns with all DM42 primary keys and most yellow labels. This includes dedicated SIN COS TAN buttons and removal of the [g] shift key. A scheme was introduced to have a single yellow shift button as per the DM42, which is used to access both [f] and [g] functions.
  • The single shift button operates as follows:
    • one shift press is [f],
    • two presses render [g],
    • three presses clear shifts and also brings up the HOME menu (if enabled),
    • EXIT or another triple shift, returns the menu back to the previous menu state.
  • Some standard functions not found on the WP43S keyboard were added to the WP43C, i.e. FLAGS.V (STATUS) (global flag viewer) and LASTx. (Edit: STATUS found its way to WP43S keyboard since).
  • Many texts of the WP43S were changed to fit the WP43C goals. There is a list of changed texts in the change doc pdf linked below. This will be needed to follow the standard documentation written by Walter.
  • Graphical indications in the form of dots on the side edges of the screen (or underlining), showing which menu line is activated by [f] or [g], was added. These dots are located in the left and right margins of the soft menu to indicate which row is active. It is visible in the image below.

The idea is to indicate which line is active, as the DM42 does not have yellow & blue coloured bars on the sides of the glass display indicating f & g.
  • A HOME menu was added to the menu system, activated with either a triple shift or by pressing the [g] [HOME] button. The HOME soft menu provides easy direct access to:
    • Extended math keys such as x!, parallel impedances, Euler’s e and also an unshifted pi for convenience on a primary key.
    • Shortcuts to math menus on [f]: [EXP] [CPX] [BASE] [TRIG] [DRG] [FN.X]
    • Some direct access to settings such as DEG/RAD etc, and FIX, ENG, etc.
    • Admin menus on [g]: [MENUS] [INFO] [CAT] [MODE] etc.
  • Some existing menus were edited such as:
    • EXP soft menu: swapped functions around in the menu to align & complement the DM42 math functions in the top row primary keys.
    • CPX menu: re-arranged to have a practical arrangement of keys.
    • MODE menu: added the toggles for enabling eRPN mode and triple shift system to activate the HOME menu.
    • PROB menu: Removed x! From the keyboard, therefore adding it to PROB menu to be located with the Pyx and Cyx functions. Also duplicated it on the HOME menu.
    • STK menu: Removed FILL from the keyboard and therefore added FILL (and DROP and X<>Y for good measure) to the STK menu.
    • TRIG menu: Removed TRI from keyboard, changed to TRIG, re-arranged and added pi, >R & >P for convenience.
    • Many more original softkey menus received changes for better operability.

C: Some notable changes:

The calculator is divided in two distinct parts: The top 4 rows (including the FN keys) are meant to be for direct calculations, no menus, i.e. HP32SII style button interactive calculations.
  • Re-arranged shifted & primary labels to duplicate the top row HP42S math keys.
  • NEW: Assigned the FN keys to work when no menu is present, to provide pi and the four yellow shifted y^x, x^2, 10^x and e^x as unshifted primaries. These are indicated as white labels above the FN keys, in the same way as is done on the function keys of WP34S and HP67.
  • Re-arranged primary labels to add the trig functions SIN, COS & TAN as per HP42S.
  • Changed some shifted label texts to align with HP42S, i.e. PRGM, LOG, etc.
  • Changed some labels to HP pre-42 legacy, i.e. CHS & EEX. This is simulator only, as the DM42 keys cannot change for WP43C.
Further changes:
  • Moved the primary operator labels to the right side as per DM42.
  • NEW: changed >R and >P to be context sensitive, i.e. when a complex number is on the stack, it performs RECT or POLAR.
  • Created a tap/double tap shift key system to cycle between [f], [g] & clear, with a single button.
  • Re-arranged the yellow secondary f labels to align with the legacy HP42S.
  • Changed the content CPX, EXP, MODE, PROB, STK, TRI menus as stated above.
  • Added switchable option for eRPN (eRPN to prevent duplication of X to Y after ENTER, in the RPL style).

D. The latest WP43C layouts, as of 2020-02-06:

WP43C latest

WP43C latest, in USER mode, and Pre-Packed Profile "UΣ CC" as well as "U SHFT" selected.
Note the USER mode changes in the image, on keys A, J, K & L.

WP43C ALPHA mode, with Simulator showing upper case selected.

WP43C ALPHA mode, with Simulator showing lower case selected.

The last layout from the main WP43S project:

WP 43S NORMAL mode

WP43S in ALPHA mode, with Simulator showing upper case selected.

E: Related links:
Note the main project WP43S links below:
- Main WP43S project page: https://sourceforge.net/projects/wp43s/
- Major news thread on this forum: “43S News”: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1816&sid=3958904447 ... 53a9650290
- 43S assistance request: https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-1 ... hlight=43s
- WP43S code on Gitlab: https://gitlab.com/Over_score/wp43s
- WP43C code on Gitlab: https://gitlab.com/Jaymos/wp43c
- I installed the dev system on my Mac after the post from John Boyden on 6 May 2019: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1816&p=10655&hilit=Xcode#p10655
Last edited by Jaymos on Sun Oct 30, 2022 11:36 pm, edited 30 times in total.
Jaco Mostert
Elec Eng, South Africa
https://47calc.com C47 (s/n 03818 & 06199), WP43 (0015). In box: HP42S, HP32Sii, WP34S&C, HP28C, HP35s, EL-506P, EL-W506, PB700; ex: FX702P, 11C, HP67 & HP85; iOS: 42s Byron, Free42+, WP31S/34S, HCalc.
H2X

Re: 43S Alternative key layout

Post by H2X »

Jaymos wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:00 pm
A: Goals:

1. To not tax or delay the main project with this effort.
2. To make it work on my DM42 and use the primary key labels, unchanged from the DM42 keyboard. A shifted function label overlay will still be needed but no key stickers.
3. To try maintain some of the legacy and familiarity of the HP42S.
4. To tap into and use the brilliant work, features, functions and operation of the main WP43S project.
Mighty fine goals there, Jaco!

It already looks promising enough that I think Iwould prefer buying a calculator with your layout, if I have to choose one of them. Which probably will be the case.
What is the metric tensor in imperial units?
toml_12953

Post by toml_12953 »

If we're to share the function of the f and g keys, please don't forget the color cues that are so important. I'd go for a key like this:

Attachments
FG Key.png
FG Key.png (25.58 KiB) Viewed 35096 times
Tom L

Some people call me inept but I'm as ept as anybody!
DM10L SN: 059/100
DM41X SN: 00023 (Beta)
DM41X SN: 00506 (Shipping)
DM42 SN: 00025 (Beta)
DM42 SN: 00221 (Shipping)
WP43 SN: 00025 (Prototype)
H2X

Post by H2X »

toml_12953 wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:00 pm
If we're to share the function of the f and g keys, please don't forget the color cues that are so important. I'd go for a key like this:

That would require colouring and printing on the key - but the space above it is free. Would labels f and g above the key do it for you, in their respective colour? That would require custom printing only the faceplate.

I am just thinking aloud here. It is of course Jaco's call...
What is the metric tensor in imperial units?
Guenter

Post by Guenter »

<More thoughts>. Would it be possible, feasible to give all items that call a menu the blue color, and all the items that call a function directly the yellow or gold color? This would enable the omission of the underlining . Thus reducing the clutter on the keyboard significantly.

When a functions menu is displayed, few pixels wide arrows on the left and right hand edge of the screen should indicate which row would be activated by the respective menu keys. Then it wouldn't be necessary to provide yellow and blue markings on either side of the screen. The yellow Shift-Key would simply move the arrows around. </More thoughts>

Günter
Günter
DM42 SN:00004 and SN:00184 -- DM41X SN:00013 and SN:00955
toml_12953

Post by toml_12953 »

H2X wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:26 pm
toml_12953 wrote:

That would require colouring and printing on the key - but the space above it is free. Would labels f and g above the key do it for you, in their respective colour? That would require custom printing only the faceplate.

Sure. Having the labels on the faceplate would be OK as long as they matched the color of their respective function and the key itself was a neutral color. The matching colors are the important thing. Color coding wasn't chosen on a whim. Serious usability and ergonomic studies were done. Associating colors is so elementary as to be intuitive.
Tom L

Some people call me inept but I'm as ept as anybody!
DM10L SN: 059/100
DM41X SN: 00023 (Beta)
DM41X SN: 00506 (Shipping)
DM42 SN: 00025 (Beta)
DM42 SN: 00221 (Shipping)
WP43 SN: 00025 (Prototype)
Dani R.

Post by Dani R. »

Implementing a user interface is always difficult because everyone has their own opinion about it. So here are a few suggestions from me regarding a possible successor of the WP43S.

The shift keys f and g (and h) come from the LED time of the calculators, when menus were not yet implementable. It was essential that each function call was accessible by a key sequence. I grew up with the HP-41C. The number of functions already exceeded the possible assignments on the keyboard. HP introduced an ingenious concept; XEQ ALPHA 'functionname', CATALOG and USER. It feels natural for me not to have every function directly available on a key. If I need the function, then I know its name. If I need it more often, then I assign it (for a short time) to any key position. The HP-42S has menus, now things get a little more complicated. Thanks to the menus, many functions are directly accessible via keystrokes. To be honest, I don't know if all functions in CATALOG FCN have direct access via a menu. It doesn't matter to me, out of habit I use XEQ ALPHA [ENTER of course] 'functionname' very often, because it is too much for me to find the right menu.

First suggestion. Please, please bring the alpha key unshifted, as most HP calculators with alpha input have it.

With the introduction of the menus, topics are summarized, which also creates space on the keyboard. The WP43S for example has a menu for trigonometry, why not for logarithm. Possibly you get all functionality packed into 30 menus.

Second suggestion. Please try to get out with only one shift key. There are several HP calculators with only one shift key.

Third suggestion. If it is not possible to get by with a single shift key, then follow Günter's suggestion above.

In general it should be possible to introduce lists on the HW of the DM42. In SETUP there are whole input masks.

Menu CNST. I can imagine that one assigns oneself more frequently used constants to the function keys F1..F5 and SHIFT-F1--SHIFT-F5. For example, F6 would be NXT to get to the next ten places, alternatively to the cursor keys. SHIFT-F6 could be used, for example, to display the constants as a vertical list at least in the CNST menu, i.e. actually a classic catalog functionality. A disadvantage is that you would only see eight entries at once. An advantage is that you can write the description in a second column in addition to the constant symbols. If a list is opened, the assignments of the function keys with functions like assign to a free position, delete a position, define a user-defined constant etc. change of course.

Here is a possible keyboard layout with a lot of free space for menus.
Attachments
44S.PNG
44S.PNG (29.8 KiB) Viewed 34995 times
C47(DM42) SN:00032 WP43 SN:00016
https://47calc.com
Jaymos

Post by Jaymos »

toml_12953 wrote:

I like your key. The yellow shift key of the the DM42 cannot be changed though.
Maybe if I get time I can see how to make a custom key in the emulator but that is low priority.

Thanks
J
Jaco Mostert
Elec Eng, South Africa
https://47calc.com C47 (s/n 03818 & 06199), WP43 (0015). In box: HP42S, HP32Sii, WP34S&C, HP28C, HP35s, EL-506P, EL-W506, PB700; ex: FX702P, 11C, HP67 & HP85; iOS: 42s Byron, Free42+, WP31S/34S, HCalc.
Jaymos

Post by Jaymos »

H2X wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:26 pm
toml_12953 wrote:

Yes, I think it is a great idea on the template above the shift key - or maybe even a g and up-and-right blue arrow, and an f and up-and-left yellow arrow. I like that. Like the 48 but with f&g. That is much later, when the label is done.

J
Jaco Mostert
Elec Eng, South Africa
Jaymos

Post by Jaymos »

Guenter wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:04 pm
<More thoughts>. Would it be possible, feasible to give all items that call a menu the blue color, and all the items that call a function directly the yellow or gold color? This would enable the omission of the underlining . Thus reducing the clutter on the keyboard significantly.
Look at the keyboard - there are too many menus items for this. And there are exceptions.
Guenter wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:04 pm

When a functions menu is displayed, few pixels wide arrows on the left and right hand edge of the screen should indicate which row would be activated by the respective menu keys. Then it wouldn't be necessary to provide yellow and blue markings on either side of the screen. The yellow Shift-Key would simply move the arrows around. </More thoughts>

Günter
I liked this so much, I implemented it this evening. Will show it on the next screen shot soon. I display the dot in the appropriate menu line, fully left and fully right, so the correct line is indicated. Thanks!

J
Jaco Mostert
Elec Eng, South Africa