43S Alternative key layout --> WP43C

General discussion about calculators, Swiss Micros or otherwise
Dani R.
Posts: 196
Joined: Fri May 05, 2017 8:23 pm

Re: 43S Alternative key layout --> WP43C

Post by Dani R. » Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:26 pm

Since it does not take too much space on this server, two recent screenshots.
Attachments
wp43c-pre-alpha01-II.PNG
wp43c-pre-alpha01-II.PNG (53.9 KiB) Viewed 335 times
wp43c-pre-alpha01-underscore-II.PNG
wp43c-pre-alpha01-underscore-II.PNG (49.6 KiB) Viewed 335 times
DM42 SN:00032

User avatar
Jaymos
Posts: 323
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:03 pm
Location: Cape Town

Re: 43S Alternative key layout --> WP43C

Post by Jaymos » Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:38 pm

Dani R. wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:26 pm
Since it does not take too much space on this server, two recent screenshots.
Beautiful ;-)
Jaco Mostert
Elec Eng, South Africa
WP34C, HP42S, DM42 for complex math; 35S, 28C, 32Sii, WP34S, EL-506P, EL-W506, FX750P; owned FX702P & 11C; used 67 & 85. iOS: 42s (Byron), Free42, WP31S/34S, HCalc.
43S operators right. DM42 sn. 03818.

User avatar
H2X
Posts: 403
Joined: Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:00 am
Location: Norway

Re: 43S Alternative key layout --> WP43C

Post by H2X » Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:19 pm

Am I way off thinking that FLAG.V and FLAGS could me merged into a single menu?

I am iPad only for the time being, so I am unfortunately not able to answer the question myself.
DM42 SN:00040 | Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible - Frank Zappa

User avatar
Jaymos
Posts: 323
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:03 pm
Location: Cape Town

Re: 43S Alternative key layout --> WP43C

Post by Jaymos » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:27 pm

Great news.

I got the DM42 version to compile!

Will distribute soon for user interface and layout testing (tonight still).

Image
Jaco Mostert
Elec Eng, South Africa
WP34C, HP42S, DM42 for complex math; 35S, 28C, 32Sii, WP34S, EL-506P, EL-W506, FX750P; owned FX702P & 11C; used 67 & 85. iOS: 42s (Byron), Free42, WP31S/34S, HCalc.
43S operators right. DM42 sn. 03818.

Patrick
Posts: 31
Joined: Wed May 03, 2017 3:30 pm
Location: Canada

Re: 43S Alternative key layout --> WP43C

Post by Patrick » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:25 pm

Jaymos wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:27 pm
Great news.

I got the DM42 version to compile!

Will distribute soon for user interface and layout testing (tonight still).

Image
Great, well done !
Unit SN: 00044

User avatar
Jaymos
Posts: 323
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:03 pm
Location: Cape Town

Re: 43S Alternative key layout --> WP43C

Post by Jaymos » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:52 pm

Jaymos wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:27 pm
Great news.

I got the DM42 version to compile!

Will distribute soon for user interface and layout testing (tonight still).

Attached the current DM42 version for user interface testing. Of course the source code is available as per GPL rules. Code is not really ready to be distributed I admit, but the version used to compile is zipped and available.

http://cocoon-creations.com/download/43C_001.pgm.zip

Tip, it helps to make a print-out of the current layout, to know where the shifts are when you need them. Strangely, the yellow shifts are mostly where you think they are...

Below the readme file equally applicable, coming with the WP43S pre-release DM42 image:

Code: Select all

This is a very early version of the WP43S program for DM42. Use it at your own risk.  

Many things simply do not work! You will have to press reset quite often.  

Installation instructions:  
Copy the WP43S.pgm file to the DM42 flash disk over USB.  
Flash the WP43S.pgm file just like SDKdemo.pgm (https://github.com/swissmicros/SDKdemo)  
From free42: select [shift][SETUP][5][2][4][3] WP43S.pgm [ENTER][ENTER] wait [EXIT][EXIT]  

The keyboard layout is the WP43S layout as long as you stay in this program.  
Outside WP43S it's the DM42 keyboard.  
To leave the WP43S program: in the menu [g][MODE][up] select [g][SYSTEM] ([g][F1]) to return to the DMCP system.
Jaco Mostert
Elec Eng, South Africa
WP34C, HP42S, DM42 for complex math; 35S, 28C, 32Sii, WP34S, EL-506P, EL-W506, FX750P; owned FX702P & 11C; used 67 & 85. iOS: 42s (Byron), Free42, WP31S/34S, HCalc.
43S operators right. DM42 sn. 03818.

User avatar
Jaymos
Posts: 323
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:03 pm
Location: Cape Town

Re: 43S Alternative key layout --> WP43C

Post by Jaymos » Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:38 am

WP43C, DM42 version updated. No major differences, but I patched the latest code from the main project, and in this version, the [g][OFF] works. New item added by WP43S.

http://cocoon-creations.com/download/43C_002.pgm.zip


It is really amazing to see this work on the DM42.


Radical idea:
Immediately, the following thoughts came up:

It is entirely feasible and possible to make a real DM42 version that can operate WITHOUT blue/yellow template !

We have collectively succeeded in making:

1. ALL the primaries the same as in DM42.

2. Most of the yellows are already compatible.

3. If we make a few more changes AND add to the HOME menu to access ALL the blues, it will be possible NOT make any label and use the DM42 as is.

The 6/6 means 6 of of six possibilities are compatible. First is the primaries. Send list the yellows. Blues don't matter:

Top: 6/6, 0/0
2nd: 6/6, 5/6. Restore [Sigma-] on f[Sigma+], makes it 6/6, 6/6. Move [a b/c] to [g][1/x].
3rd: 6/6, 5/6. Moving COMPLEX to [f] STO will make it 6/6, 6/6. Move |x| to [g][STO]. Move [angle] to [g][8].
4th: 5/5, 3/5. Moving ALPHA to [f] ENTER, and changing blue/yellow around on [<--] makes it 5/5, 5/5.
5th: 5/5, 3/5. ADV on INTEGRAL (all sorts of sums), and EQN on SOLVER, makes it 5/5, 5/5.
6th: 5/5, 4/5. Move # to [f][4], makes it 5/5, 5/5.
7th: 5/5, 3/5. Move P.FN to [f][3], move I/O to [f][-], makes 5/5, 5/5.
8th: 5/5, 3/5. Swap OFF and PrintX, Move HOME to Setup. Move TIMER to [g][+]. This makes 5/5, 4/5.

[g][7], g[-], g[*] available.

Notes:
1. USER is on CUSTOM. I think it is fair to stay. USER changes all the keys to the custom ones. CUSTOM only shows the CUSTOM menu. There MUST be a USER button. Otherwise MyMenu could be on CUSTOM. That is a 100% fit.
2. I/O is on PRINT as the many PRINT functions are on the second screen of I/O. It is OK.
3. HOME is on SETUP.

This way, almost all buttons and yellows are compatible and everything that you see on the DM42 works as expected. Yes there are many many blue menus not visible, but I do not take them away - they will still work without labels, or, just make a label, or use the menu to get to them!.

34 of 37 yellow labels are exact matches. 2 are almost exact, and functionally 100%. 1 is the HOME for SETUP. which is not the same. These are a few quick moves. I haven't used the paper and scissors as yet.

Ideas? Comments?
How does that sound?

Edited for a few obvious issues. There may be more.
Jaco Mostert
Elec Eng, South Africa
WP34C, HP42S, DM42 for complex math; 35S, 28C, 32Sii, WP34S, EL-506P, EL-W506, FX750P; owned FX702P & 11C; used 67 & 85. iOS: 42s (Byron), Free42, WP31S/34S, HCalc.
43S operators right. DM42 sn. 03818.

Patrick
Posts: 31
Joined: Wed May 03, 2017 3:30 pm
Location: Canada

Re: 43S Alternative key layout --> WP43C

Post by Patrick » Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:58 am

Jaymos wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:38 am
WP43C, DM42 version updated. No major differences, but I patched the latest code from the main project, and in this version, the [g][OFF] works. New item added by WP43S.

http://cocoon-creations.com/download/43C_002.pgm.zip


It is really amazing to see this work on the DM42.


Radical idea:
Immediately, the following thoughts came up:

It is entirely feasible and possible to make a real DM42 version that can operate WITHOUT blue/yellow template !

We have collectively succeeded in making:

1. ALL the primaries the same as in DM42.

2. Most of the yellows are already compatible.

3. If we make a few more changes AND add to the HOME menu to access ALL the blues, it will be possible NOT make any label and use the DM42 as is.

The 6/6 means 6 of of six possibilities are compatible. First is the primaries. Send list the yellows. Blues don't matter:

Top: 6/6, 0/0
2nd: 6/6, 5/6. Restore [Sigma-] on f[Sigma+], makes it 6/6, 6/6. Move [a b/c] to [g][1/x].
3rd: 6/6, 5/6. Moving COMPLEX to [f] STO will make it 6/6, 6/6. Move |x| to [g][STO]. Move [angle] to [g][8].
4th: 5/5, 3/5. Moving ALPHA to [f] ENTER, and changing blue/yellow around on [<--] makes it 5/5, 5/5.
5th: 5/5, 3/5. ADV on INTEGRAL (all sorts of sums), and EQN on SOLVER, makes it 5/5, 5/5.
6th: 5/5, 4/5. Move # to [f][4], makes it 5/5, 5/5.
7th: 5/5, 3/5. Move P.FN to [f][3], move I/O to [f][-], makes 5/5, 5/5.
8th: 5/5, 3/5. Swap OFF and PrintX, Move HOME to Setup. Move TIMER to [g][+]. This makes 5/5, 4/5.

[g][7], g[-], g[*] available.

Notes:
1. USER is on CUSTOM. I think it is fair to stay. USER changes all the keys to the custom ones. CUSTOM only shows the CUSTOM menu. There MUST be a USER button. Otherwise MyMenu could be on CUSTOM. That is a 100% fit.
2. I/O is on PRINT as the many PRINT functions are on the second screen of I/O. It is OK.
3. HOME is on SETUP.

This way, almost all buttons and yellows are compatible and everything that you see on the DM42 works as expected. Yes there are many many blue menus not visible, but I do not take them away - they will still work without labels, or, just make a label, or use the menu to get to them!.

34 of 37 yellow labels are exact matches. 2 are almost exact, and functionally 100%. 1 is the HOME for SETUP. which is not the same. These are a few quick moves. I haven't used the paper and scissors as yet.

Ideas? Comments?
How does that sound?

Edited for a few obvious issues. There may be more.
I fully agree with the objective of using the calculator as it is, without using a template. The proposed modifications are in line with this. I didn't take the time to analyze everything in depth, but it seems to me that[f]0 is also available and could be used with the [.] key to move the functions related to fractions. I have been working for a very long time with a 42s and a 32SII that deals with fractions in a very interesting way. I always thought that what the 42s lacked was this very effective management of fractions. The fact that they are connected to the [.] key seems very intuitive to me.

You who have worked a lot on the keyboard layout, do you think this suggestion is feasible?

I'll see if I can submit a proposal later on today or tomorrow.
Unit SN: 00044

Dani R.
Posts: 196
Joined: Fri May 05, 2017 8:23 pm

Re: 43S Alternative key layout --> WP43C

Post by Dani R. » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:18 pm

Jaymos wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:38 am
...

This way, almost all buttons and yellows are compatible and everything that you see on the DM42 works as expected. Yes there are many many blue menus not visible, but I do not take them away - they will still work without labels, or, just make a label, or use the menu to get to them!.

...
You're freshening me up. I don't know if this can be translated correctly.

If you take such a radical step, I would recommend expanding the menus to up to seven lines if necessary. What then is line selection and what then still [ /f/g] I cannot resolve yet.
DM42 SN:00032

Dani R.
Posts: 196
Joined: Fri May 05, 2017 8:23 pm

Re: 43S Alternative key layout --> WP43C

Post by Dani R. » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:29 pm

Dani R. wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:18 pm
Jaymos wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:38 am
...

This way, almost all buttons and yellows are compatible and everything that you see on the DM42 works as expected. Yes there are many many blue menus not visible, but I do not take them away - they will still work without labels, or, just make a label, or use the menu to get to them!.

...
You're freshening me up. I don't know if this can be translated correctly.

If you take such a radical step, I would recommend expanding the menus to up to seven lines if necessary. What then is line selection and what then still [ /f/g] I cannot resolve yet.
But now I can. It's the cursor keys that lead through the seven lines of the menus, the shift key [f/g] has no function here anymore. If you need more than seven lines, there are the next menu entries.

And on [f] [0], for example, there is simply a display with the [g] assignments.
DM42 SN:00032

Post Reply