Post by H2X »

toml_12953 wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:01 am
H2X wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:24 am
Nudge... polls are fun! :-)
I've heard that 82% of the people polled disagree. :shock:
I disagree... Oops - I'm one of them! :D
What is the metric tensor in imperial units?
Thomas Okken

Re: Is there any polling station here?

Post by Thomas Okken »

rprosperi wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:24 pm
Thomas Okken wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:23 pm
It all depends on whether there is a Cowboy Neal option or not. :lol:
"Cowboy Neal" - is that a Grateful Dead reference?
It is a Slashdot reference.

Slashdot is a user-moderated news and discussion site, and since early on they have weekly-or-so polls, on whichever topic the site administrators come up with. It became a running joke to always have a Cowboy Neal option; as a (made up) example:

Favorite Calculator Brand:

1) SwissMicros
2) Hewlett-Packard
3) Texas Instruments
4) Casio
5) Other (specify in comments)
6) Whatever Cowboy Neal is using

Cowboy Neal is the username of one of the site's founders, and he took that name from a Grateful Dead song.

So, the short answer to your question is yes. :)
(I actually didn't know that until today. I don't remember The Grateful Dead being a big thing in Europe, in fact, I was barely aware of their existence for most of my life, and I still couldn't tell you the titles of any of their songs or albums...)
rprosperi

Post by rprosperi »

Thomas Okken wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:53 pm
It is a Slashdot reference.

Slashdot is a user-moderated news and discussion site, and since early on they have weekly-or-so polls, on whichever topic the site administrators come up with. It became a running joke to always have a Cowboy Neal option; as a (made up) example:

Favorite Calculator Brand:

1) SwissMicros
2) Hewlett-Packard
3) Texas Instruments
4) Casio
5) Other (specify in comments)
6) Whatever Cowboy Neal is using

Cowboy Neal is the username of one of the site's founders, and he took that name from a Grateful Dead song.

So, the short answer to your question is yes. :)
(I actually didn't know that until today. I don't remember The Grateful Dead being a big thing in Europe, in fact, I was barely aware of their existence for most of my life, and I still couldn't tell you the titles of any of their songs or albums...)
Well, I knew it had to be, but wasn't sure how it came around. Cowboy Neal is Neal Cassidy, a VERY interesting character that lived with the Dead for a relatively short period, but had a big influence on the band's culture and music.

The "Cowboy Neal" is part of a lyric for "That's it for the Other One" - "...there was Cowboy Neal at the wheel of a bus to never ever land" which seems sorta lame written like that. Like much of the Dead's culture, it's all in the song...

Read about Cowboy Neal (the original one) here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neal_Cassady. Amazing guy!
--bob p

DM42: β00071 & 00282, DM41X: β00071 & 00656, DM10L: 071/100
Thomas Okken

Post by Thomas Okken »

rprosperi wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:39 pm
The "Cowboy Neal" is part of a lyric for "That's it for the Other One" - "...there was Cowboy Neal at the wheel of a bus to never ever land" which seems sorta lame written like that. Like much of the Dead's culture, it's all in the song...

Read about Cowboy Neal (the original one) here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neal_Cassady. Amazing guy!
Hmm, I may actually have heard that song once. In 1981, there was a Rockpalastnacht concert featuring a double bill of The Who and The Grateful Dead. Me and a couple of friends got together to watch it on German TV (it was broadcast live, from Berlin); we set up a few amplifiers and had high-quality headphones for everyone, because (a) The Who must be listened to LOUD and (b) we were in a townhouse so we had neighbors to think about. The The Who set was awesome, as expected, but then the Dead set (a band none of us had ever heard before) felt completely flat... all this endless quiet noodling, after just having had our minds blown by a long and intense set by one of the most high-energy bands of all time.

Maybe I should give them another shot? I looked at YouTube but the various videos of The Other One / That's It For The Other One vary so much in length, from 7 minutes to over 30, that I have no idea which one to pick. Any suggestions? :)
rprosperi

Post by rprosperi »

Thomas Okken wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:50 pm
Hmm, I may actually have heard that song once. In 1981, there was a Rockpalastnacht concert featuring a double bill of The Who and The Grateful Dead. Me and a couple of friends got together to watch it on German TV (it was broadcast live, from Berlin); we set up a few amplifiers and had high-quality headphones for everyone, because (a) The Who must be listened to LOUD and (b) we were in a townhouse so we had neighbors to think about. The The Who set was awesome, as expected, but then the Dead set (a band none of us had ever heard before) felt completely flat... all this endless quiet noodling, after just having had our minds blown by a long and intense set by one of the most high-energy bands of all time.

Maybe I should give them another shot? I looked at YouTube but the various videos of The Other One / That's It For The Other One vary so much in length, from 7 minutes to over 30, that I have no idea which one to pick. Any suggestions? :)
I'm familiar with that show, after all The Dead and The Who are my 2 favorite bands. I've seen the Dead live about 90 times, and The Who live I think 16 times. Very different bands, very different shows. And I agree, the Who must be listened to loud!

My personal favorite Who music is Quadrophenia, and I saw both American tours when they performed the complete album, so it's easy to claim those as my 2 favorite shows.

It's much harder to pick favorite Dead shows, they vary so much. I've seen The Who several times on the same tour, every show was the same song selection/order, except for one song. And I've seen The Dead 3 nights in a row, with only one song repeated among the 3 nights, so a really different experience. Probably my favorite shows are San Bernardino in Dec 1980, and the Greek Theatre at UC Berkeley in May 1983.

Anyhow, as for versions of "The Other One", these 2 are well known and are somewhat bookends, as these performances are over 20 years apart:

The "Album" version, from "Anthem of the Sun": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ojrruaMYYg (Note: Click "Show More" to see lyrics)

Shoreline Amphitheatre (near SFO) in June 1989: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXY9BQeA33g

Although I called those 'bookends' I saw the latest incarnation of the band, "Dead & Company" do The Other One about a month ago, so still going strong more than 50 years later.
--bob p

gmac42

Post by gmac42 »

rprosperi wrote:
Thomas Okken wrote:
It's a Slashdot reference. :-)
DM41X #542, DM42 #650, DM41L #801, HP 41CX, HP 41CV, HP 50G, HP11C, TI 89
rprosperi

Post by rprosperi »

gmac42 wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:35 pm
rprosperi wrote:
Thomas Okken wrote:
The Slashdot reference IS a Grateful Dead reference. Read the above posts.
--bob p

gmac42

Post by gmac42 »

rprosperi wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:05 pm
gmac42 wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:35 pm
rprosperi wrote:

The Slashdot reference IS a Grateful Dead reference. Read the above posts.
Huh. I obviously missed that tiny button telling me there's actually a page 2 to this thread. :?
I blame my current lack of sleep. Sorry...
DM41X #542, DM42 #650, DM41L #801, HP 41CX, HP 41CV, HP 50G, HP11C, TI 89
Thomas Okken

Post by Thomas Okken »

rprosperi wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:23 am
The "Album" version, from "Anthem of the Sun": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ojrruaMYYg (Note: Click "Show More" to see lyrics)

Shoreline Amphitheatre (near SFO) in June 1989: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXY9BQeA33g
Thanks! I'll give them a listen tonight.
rprosperi

Post by rprosperi »

gmac42 wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:24 pm
Huh. I obviously missed that tiny button telling me there's actually a page 2 to this thread. :?
Happens to me all the time here, much more often than on other forums, no idea why it's harder to notice here, it just seems so.
--bob p