DM 48 .... WHY NOT ?!!!

General discussion about calculators, Swiss Micros or otherwise
burkhard

Re: DM 48 .... WHY NOT ?!!!

Post by burkhard » Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:48 pm

franz.b wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:38 am
Personally I would like a dm48 / 50 with the power of 50 and the keyboard of 48. And I would definitely buy it. :!:
Ahhh, that is the rub I am afraid. The hardest thing for anyone (even the "big guys") to do in the calculator world today is to make a make a keyboard like those HP had in the Pioneers and earlier. At their best, calculator sales volumes are nowhere near what they were in the "Golden Age", so investment to make an HP48-equivalent quality keyboard would be tremendous. Certainly somebody could tweak the layout to fix the 50g's small ENTER key that is in the wrong spot, but a true "48 quality" keyboard is a lot to ask for. I hope I am wrong, though!

zx_spectrum

Re: DM 48 .... WHY NOT ?!!!

Post by zx_spectrum » Wed May 01, 2019 5:28 am

burkhard wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:48 pm
franz.b wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:38 am
Personally I would like a dm48 / 50 with the power of 50 and the keyboard of 48. And I would definitely buy it. :!:
Ahhh, that is the rub I am afraid. The hardest thing for anyone (even the "big guys") to do in the calculator world today is to make a make a keyboard like those HP had in the Pioneers and earlier. At their best, calculator sales volumes are nowhere near what they were in the "Golden Age", so investment to make an HP48-equivalent quality keyboard would be tremendous. Certainly somebody could tweak the layout to fix the 50g's small ENTER key that is in the wrong spot, but a true "48 quality" keyboard is a lot to ask for. I hope I am wrong, though!
I think by "48 keyboard" he means the layout of 48g and not the actual physical feel.
dm42 keyboard feel is sufficient