Why was Stainless Steel used for the DM42?

General discussion about calculators, SwissMicros or otherwise
Russel

Re: Why was Stainless Steel used for the DM42?

Post by Russel »

rprosperi wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:08 am
Russel wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:58 pm
As I understand it, the landscape SwissMicros calculators have a titanium case.
I believe the early cc-sized models were made of titanium, but I do not believe any of the large (DM1xL/DM41L) models were ever made of Ti, and that even the smaller models no longer are. This was addressed in a post by Michael here a couple months ago, you can probably find it with a search.
In the Casing is prone to fingerprints thread Michael talks about the titanium back (where fingerprints really show up) in reference to the DM15L that the original poster inquired about.

Also, in the Shanghai video, right about in the middle, he talks about how the laser etching makes the titanium blue, while he is holding a couple front plates from the DMxxL series calculators. I know the lettering on the front metal panel of my DM15L has lettering that is blued slightly at the DM15L marking.

In any case, I like the metal (whatever it may be) that the DM15L case is made from.
rprosperi

Post by rprosperi »

Russel wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:48 pm
In the Casing is prone to fingerprints thread Michael talks about the titanium back (where fingerprints really show up) in reference to the DM15L that the original poster inquired about.

Also, in the Shanghai video, right about in the middle, he talks about how the laser etching makes the titanium blue, while he is holding a couple front plates from the DMxxL series calculators. I know the lettering on the front metal panel of my DM15L has lettering that is blued slightly at the DM15L marking.

In any case, I like the metal (whatever it may be) that the DM15L case is made from.
You could be right, perhaps my memory is not correct about the DM-1xL models, though as you note the reference in the video is about the LCD bezel, not the case. We'll have to wait for Michael to comment to be sure.
--bob p

DM42: β00071 & 00282, DM41X: β00071 & 00656, DM10L: 071/100
Russel

Post by Russel »

Judging by the information in the post I quoted and the video, I think that the back cover and the LCD bezel are both made of titanium. (On the DMxxL series.)

I received the DM42 that I ordered. I has a nice heft to it, with a sturdy case. I haven't removed the back cover to examine the metal - been spending too much time playing with it. The screen is much sharper than I expected, and the buttons a little stiff, but not a problem. Time to learn more math!