Keyboard debouncing

If you're having problems with the hardware of a DM41X or DM42, post about them here.
akaTB

Re: Keyboard Debouncing - NOOB Question

Post by akaTB »

ijabbott wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:28 am
keithdalby wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:04 am
ijabbott wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:52 pm
You can also press EXIT after entering a number, and it will only change the X register without disabling automatic stack lift.
I can't think of a situation where that would be useful.
It makes entering numbers on the stack behave more like RPL calculators (apart from the limited stack size).
I miss the subtle usefulness of this... :mrgreen:
Greetings,
    Massimo
ajcaton
-+×÷ left is right and right is wrong :twisted: Casted in gold
Walter

Post by Walter »

akaTB wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:25 am
ijabbott wrote:
keithdalby wrote:
It makes entering numbers on the stack behave more like RPL calculators (apart from the limited stack size).
:lol:
WP43 SN00000, 34S, and 31S for obvious reasons; HP-35, 45, ..., 35S, 15CE, DM16L S/N# 00093, DM42β SN:00041
StreakyCobra

Re: Keyboard debouncing

Post by StreakyCobra »

akaTB wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:25 am
ijabbott wrote:
keithdalby wrote:
Actually… I find this very useful !

TL;DR: "Exit" allow you to "validate/terminate" a number without knowing if the next step is entering a new number or applying an operator.

I often find myself typing numbers at the same time that I'm thinking of a problem. For instance I open a file and I find a number, lets say 2538, so I type it in the calculator, pressing "enter" because it's the first one. I then open another file and find another number, 43, and I type it. Now I want to "validate" it because I am sure there isn't any other digit in this number. But at the same time I'm not sure if it is the number that I should divide 2538 by directly, or if I need to make a ratio first by dividing it by another third number.

So there are two options, and they both have a drawback:

1. I press "enter" after 43 -> After some thinking I decide that I should only divide 2538 by 43. Having pressed "enter" had lifted the stack, so I can not press "divide" directly because both X and Y contains 43, I have first to think about rolling down the stack, or worse if I already pressed "divide" I have to reconstruct the stack by using LastX.

2. I do not press enter after 43 -> After some thinking I decide that I should divide 43 by 7 first, before dividing 2538 by this result. I take back my calculator in hand and press 7, which now reads 437 on the X stack because the input of 43 has not been terminated. I have to clear one digit to restore 43, press "enter", and the continue by reentering 7. Also, worse, if I pressed "divide" before noticing the mistake I again have to reconstruct the stack by using LastX.

So when you are thinking about a problem on the same time than typing its calculation, your flow of thought is interrupted by "should I press «enter» or not?" after each number, what is quite annoying. By using "exit", you can "validate" each number without having to know (or think about) if the next step is a number or an operator:

- 2538 "exit"

- 43 "exit"

- Thinking about the problem, then:
1. Division is wanted: just press "divide"
2. Another number is needed, just type it: 7 "exit"

Maybe I'm doing something wrong and I'm the only one to have this problem with "enter", but for this use at least "exit" is changing my life right know :-)
keithdalby

Post by keithdalby »

StreakyCobra wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:59 pm
Maybe I'm doing something wrong and I'm the only one to have this problem with "enter", but for this use at least "exit" is changing my life right know
:shock: so to save you pressing extra unnecessary buttons, you press extra unnecessary buttons?

Nope, I cannot connect the dots here.
keithdalby

Post by keithdalby »

StreakyCobra wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:59 pm
- 2538 "exit"

- 43 "exit"

- Thinking about the problem, then:
I think I must just be old-school but reaching for the calculator is the last stage in my thinking. Wouldn't dream of plugging numbers in without a clear vision of what I'm doing with them.
ijabbott

Post by ijabbott »

Another use for "Exit" - it reformats the number you've just typed into the current display format without lifting the stack afterwards.
keithdalby

Post by keithdalby »

ijabbott wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:30 pm
Another use for "Exit" - it reformats the number you've just typed into the current display format without lifting the stack afterwards.
Still don't quite see the point of that
Thomas Okken

Post by Thomas Okken »

keithdalby wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:20 pm
ijabbott wrote:
I do. It's actually something I do often enough that it has become automatic to press X<>Y X<>Y in that situation. It never occurred to me to use EXIT, probably because I had already been conditioned to think of that as "cancel and discard" by the HP-28S, before I got into the 42S. :D
rprosperi

Post by rprosperi »

Thomas Okken wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:04 pm
keithdalby wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:20 pm
ijabbott wrote:
I do. It's actually something I do often enough that it has become automatic to press X<>Y X<>Y in that situation. It never occurred to me to use EXIT, probably because I had already been conditioned to think of that as "cancel and discard" by the HP-28S, before I got into the 42S. :D
I agree, this is useful, and surprising to discover so many years into using a 42S. While it's not something I'd use every day, it is needed sometimes; I've also learned to do X<>Y X<>Y when I want this stack condition - EXIT is even easier. Cool discovery, glad you posted it. My only question is can I unlearn using X<>Y X<>Y ?
--bob p

DM42: β00071 & 00282, DM41X: β00071 & 00656, DM10L: 071/100
Rmollov

Post by Rmollov »

Walter wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:56 am
ijabbott wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:52 pm
You can also press EXIT after entering a number, and it will only change the X register without disabling automatic stack lift.

This illustrates the difference in stack behaviour between ENTER and EXIT...
Never thought of using EXIT this way. Learned something new. Thanks!
+1.
I find this very useful, thanks ijabbott!
Now I remembered something similar was an option in Byron Foster's 42s - ENTER without stack lift, which I liked.
Cheers,