Keyboard debouncing

If you're having problems with the hardware of a DM42, post about them here.
StreakyCobra
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:09 am

Re: Keyboard debouncing

Post by StreakyCobra » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:15 am

keithdalby wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:16 pm
:shock: so to save you pressing extra unnecessary buttons, you press extra unnecessary buttons?

Nope, I cannot connect the dots here.
It's not about pressing unnecessary button, it's about not knowing beforehand if another number or an operand will follow.
keithdalby wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:18 pm
I think I must just be old-school but reaching for the calculator is the last stage in my thinking. Wouldn't dream of plugging numbers in without a clear vision of what I'm doing with them.
I don't think it is about being old-school, different people have different way of working. Of course when there is a clear vision beforehand this "trick" is not needed, but when I do my thinking "in live" this is useful.

User avatar
Walter
Posts: 793
Joined: Tue May 02, 2017 9:13 am
Location: Close to FRA, Germany

Re: Keyboard debouncing

Post by Walter » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:14 am

StreakyCobra wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:15 am
keithdalby wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:16 pm
:shock: so to save you pressing extra unnecessary buttons, you press extra unnecessary buttons?

Nope, I cannot connect the dots here.
It's not about pressing unnecessary button, it's about not knowing beforehand if another number or an operand will follow.
Until you know what will follow, simply leave the numeric input open ... :roll:
StreakyCobra wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:15 am
keithdalby wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:18 pm
I think I must just be old-school but reaching for the calculator is the last stage in my thinking. Wouldn't dream of plugging numbers in without a clear vision of what I'm doing with them.
I don't think it is about being old-school, different people have different way of working. Of course when there is a clear vision beforehand this "trick" is not needed, but when I do my thinking "in live" this is useful.
Different people may have different ways in their lifes ... but see above. :mrgreen:
DM42 SN: 00041 --- Follower of Platon.

HP-35, HP-45, ..., HP-50, WP 34S, WP 31S, DM16L

User avatar
Over_score
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri May 05, 2017 7:37 pm
Location: France

Re: Keyboard debouncing

Post by Over_score » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:59 pm

Walter wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:14 am
Until you know what will follow, simply leave the numeric input open ... :roll:
+1
DM42 SN:00284

keithdalby
Posts: 498
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:38 pm

Re: Keyboard debouncing

Post by keithdalby » Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:31 pm

Walter wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:14 am
Until you know what will follow, simply leave the numeric input open ... :roll:
I'm just baffled by using EXIT for the reasons presented here. I don't see the point. None of the 'advantages' presented here are of benefit to me at all.

Maybe other folk find using EXIT in these ways helpful. If so, good for you.

But I don't get it.

User avatar
ijabbott
Posts: 109
Joined: Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:34 pm
Location: Manchester, UK

Re: Keyboard debouncing

Post by ijabbott » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:48 pm

keithdalby wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:31 pm
Walter wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:14 am
Until you know what will follow, simply leave the numeric input open ... :roll:
I'm just baffled by using EXIT for the reasons presented here. I don't see the point. None of the 'advantages' presented here are of benefit to me at all.

Maybe other folk find using EXIT in these ways helpful. If so, good for you.

But I don't get it.
No-one's forcing you to use it! You could put a "NOP" sticker over it if it helps! :D

keithdalby
Posts: 498
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:38 pm

Re: Keyboard debouncing

Post by keithdalby » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:03 pm

It already has a sensible label.

Rmollov
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed May 03, 2017 5:55 pm
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Keyboard debouncing

Post by Rmollov » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:14 am

keithdalby wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:03 pm
It already has a sensible label.
Sure. It's what meaning one puts to it. It may be "EXIT operation of inputting a number" for example. Besides it is at convenient location to terminate an entry - rather that travelling all the way to the ENTER. Now I started thinking of EXIT as ENTER without stack lift - what exactly is your problem with that?

I personally prefer using SPC on HP48 instead of ENTER on multiple number input which gives me the opportunity to check and immediately correct it.
EXIT on HP42 is kinda similar, RPN imitation of RPL style entry.

Cheers,

User avatar
Over_score
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri May 05, 2017 7:37 pm
Location: France

Re: Keyboard debouncing

Post by Over_score » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:21 am

Rmollov wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:14 am
"EXIT operation of inputting a number"
It's like clicking Start to shut down a PC!
DM42 SN:00284

User avatar
Walter
Posts: 793
Joined: Tue May 02, 2017 9:13 am
Location: Close to FRA, Germany

Re: Keyboard debouncing

Post by Walter » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:46 am

Over_score wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:21 am
Rmollov wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:14 am
"EXIT operation of inputting a number"
It's like clicking Start to shut down a PC!
:lol: You cant beat a good user interface design!
DM42 SN: 00041 --- Follower of Platon.

HP-35, HP-45, ..., HP-50, WP 34S, WP 31S, DM16L

Rmollov
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed May 03, 2017 5:55 pm
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Keyboard debouncing

Post by Rmollov » Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:06 am

Over_score wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:21 am
Rmollov wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:14 am
"EXIT operation of inputting a number"
It's like clicking Start to shut down a PC!
Is it how you read it? Very funny :) Do you do stand-up comedy for living?

Cheers,

Post Reply