LCD issues...

If you're having problems with the hardware of a DM41X or DM42, post about them here.
zeno333

LCD issues...

Post by zeno333 »

Twice the LCD screen has gone completely blank when in the off state...Once the image was there but just a dim ghosting of the image...When I turned it on when completely black it turns on normally, when I turned it on while very dim it goes through the REASET procedure that it would do from a hard reset on the back, but from just turning it on. the battery indicator also showed no bars but that recovered after a few hours. Anyone else have this issue?...Michael said it was a power usage issue and said to return it...I will be doing that.
Vitasam

Re: LCD issues...

Post by Vitasam »

zeno333 wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:43 pm
Twice the LCD screen has gone completely blank when in the off state...Once the image was there but just a dim ghosting of the image...When I turned it on when completely black it turns on normally, when I turned it on while very dim it goes through the REASET procedure that it would do from a hard reset on the back, but from just turning it on. the battery indicator also showed no bars but that recovered after a few hours. Anyone else have this issue?...Michael said it was a power usage issue and said to return it...I will be doing that.
What is a battery level?
zeno333

Post by zeno333 »

When it was a dim image, it first came back on after resetting itself with no battery bars showing...did not know the voltage then..it gradually recovered the battery bars and I then turned on the voltage indicator...It now reads 2.84 volts...The calc has been little used...Michael mentioned to me that one of the screen images is blank on purpose, but when mine goes blank it goes from showing an image to being blank on its own without being touched at all.
Walter

Post by Walter »

Sounds like a bad battery - else like a bug noone else observed so far ... :?
Michael
Site Admin

Post by Michael »

No, to me this sounds like a hardware defect.
This unit will be replaced and I'll inspect it trying to find culprit component.
Some additional QC step should prevent this failure in the future.
Walter

Post by Walter »

Ok, I stand corrected. Of course you know more than we do.
WP43 SN00000, 34S, and 31S for obvious reasons; HP-35, 45, ..., 35S, 15CE, DM16L S/N# 00093, DM42β SN:00041
zeno333

Post by zeno333 »

I am far from a tech expert on this, but it seems it is LCD display related for sure....maybe something related to the LCD driver and or the lcd driver connection somewhere...Something to do with the LCD driver software wise of physical wise....
Walter

Post by Walter »

zeno333 wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:39 pm
... it seems it is LCD display related for sure...
Hmmh, "it seems" or "for sure", that's the question ... ;)
WP43 SN00000, 34S, and 31S for obvious reasons; HP-35, 45, ..., 35S, 15CE, DM16L S/N# 00093, DM42β SN:00041
grsbanks

Post by grsbanks »

Walter wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:18 pm
Hmmh, "it seems" or "for sure", that's the question ... ;)
That's definitely the question, I think...
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who do not.
Geoff Quickfall

Post by Geoff Quickfall »

I think the question is: what is a noone?

:D