Hardware: but not an issue ;-)

If you're having problems with the hardware of a DM41X or DM42, post about them here.
Geoff Quickfall

Hardware: but not an issue ;-)

Post by Geoff Quickfall »

What pouch to use?

The Swiss Micros pouch is nice, very nice. It has been mentioned that it is very tight which can be a good thing. Since my incident with the drop and skid off the car roof I changed the pouch that the calculator sits in.

Pre car incident:

So, I changed from the Swiss Micros pouch to the HP30b (WP34s). Then I added the QRG for the 42S, to the package and switched the pouch to an HP42s vintage soft leather one. This is what slid off the roof of the car, impacted the pavement at 40kph (for our young metric friends) after falling 80cm to said pavement.

The pouch, although attractive, did not contain the calculator which slid out of the pouch, face down on the pavement, comming to a stop about 60cm from the pouch. I have now switched to what I think is the most useful pouch ever designed by HP.

Post car incident:

Before let you know the type I am using I did try the HP35s pouch, which is a perfect fit and allows the HP42s QRG card it’s separate storage and semi hard case I fully recommend it unless you do the following:

I created a user manual by converting the HTML Swiss Micros online user manual to text and formatted it to fit a 6.4cm by 12.7cm page. Double print both sides, and then bind it to create a booklet of the same size, with fourteen pages. This did not fit the HP35s pouch.

But it does fit an HP 67 pouch. The DM42 fits the inner sleeve and my QRG and manual fit the spot usuall6 reserved for the 67. I have a few of these and they house my 41CL, Panamatik 29E IR GPS and some others.

Both the 35s and the 67 pouches allow for the quick notes you create to remind you which calculator states exist and what is each state.

If the calculator had been in the 35s or 67 pouch there would have been no scuff marks and, I just noticed, a very small 2mm shallow scratch on the gorilla glass.

If you want to, you can get a blank circuit board, cut it to fit in the inner sleeve of the 67 pouch creating a protection from impact of the DM42 and leave the DM42, QRG and personal notes in the main section. Most of us did this for the 48 soft pouches.

Cheers, geoff
budmur

Re: Hardware: but not an issue ;-)

Post by budmur »

I use the 35S semi-hard case as well. It lets me fit the QRG and a small reference book. The elastic straps don't fit in the right place to allow the calculator to be used in the case, but that's not a problem for me.
DM42 S/N 00039
Bill (Smithville NJ)

Post by Bill (Smithville NJ) »

I've been experimenting with using the ASTECH Hard Case. I have cut a couple of pieces of leather
and then wedged it on both sides of the DM42 and it works pretty good. But it sits a little
low in the case. So thinking of mounting some rubber feet to inside of the Hard Case which should
raise the calculator up a little bit.

I don't want to attached anything to the DM42 case or modify it in any way. Not sure if the
hard case would offer any additional protection from a hard drop. But I have always liked
the ASTECH cases.

Bill
Smithville, NJ
ijabbott

Post by ijabbott »

Speaking of cases, a zip-up carrying case for external, 2.5 inch hard disk drives seems to be about the right size.
Thomas Okken

Post by Thomas Okken »

Geoff Quickfall wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:26 am
This is what slid off the roof of the car, impacted the pavement at 40kph (for our young metric friends) after falling 80cm to said pavement.
Errr, what kind of car do you drive again?
Pictures, please? :shock:
toml_12953

Post by toml_12953 »

Thomas Okken wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:08 am
Geoff Quickfall wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:26 am
This is what slid off the roof of the car, impacted the pavement at 40kph (for our young metric friends) after falling 80cm to said pavement.
Errr, what kind of car do you drive again?
Pictures, please? :shock:
It's a very low-slung car!
Tom L

Some people call me inept but I'm as ept as anybody!
DM10L SN: 059/100
DM41X SN: 00023 (Beta)
DM41X SN: 00506 (Shipping)
DM42 SN: 00025 (Beta)
DM42 SN: 00221 (Shipping)
WP43 SN: 00025 (Prototype)
Geoff Quickfall

Oooooooooops

183cm, I type to fast for the iPad and then get lazy by not checking.

Of course it might have been a lotus Europa from 1967!

:lol:
Vitasam

Post by Vitasam »

ijabbott wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:39 pm
Speaking of cases, a zip-up carrying case for external, 2.5 inch hard disk drives seems to be about the right size.
Something ike this?
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Multi-f ... autifyAB=0
ijabbott

Post by ijabbott »

Vitasam wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:35 am
ijabbott wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:39 pm
Something ike this?
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Multi-f ... autifyAB=0
The one I actually tested (because I already had one) was this one from Inateck. There are "Amazon Basics" versions that look similar. The DM42 is a slightly tight fit at the top and bottom, but there is enough "give" in the case to squeeze it in and zip it up, and there is room to store a USB cable too.

Geoff Quickfall

Here is the HP 35 pouch I am using:

I took the dm user manual and converted it to text. Added my custom programs to it. Modified and removed some of the text to suit my needs. Then created the QRG you see here.

Also included the QRG for the HP 42s.