buttons that don't register well

If you're having problems with the hardware of a DM41X or DM42, post about them here.
Netmage

Re: buttons that don't register well

Post by Netmage »

Just got mine, so far all I've noticed is the left side of the Enter key doesn't really depress or click, but still performs function. Other keys seem fine, though the shift key doesn't fit too well in hole (showing key struts).

Mine came with firmware v3.3 but I didn't see an announcement notice.
Last edited by Netmage on Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
Walter

Post by Walter »

Netmage wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:21 am
... Other keys see fine, though shift key doesn't fit too well in hole (showing key struts).

Nine came with firmware v3.3 big I didn't see an announcement notice.
How about some proofreading and corrective actions? ;)
WP43 SN00000, 34S, and 31S for obvious reasons; HP-35, 45, ..., 35S, 15CE, DM16L S/N# 00093, DM42β SN:00041
keithdalby

Post by keithdalby »

Walter wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:17 am
Starting to get to you?
Walter

Post by Walter »

keithdalby wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:39 am
Walter wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:17 am
Starting to get to you?
Please advise ;)
WP43 SN00000, 34S, and 31S for obvious reasons; HP-35, 45, ..., 35S, 15CE, DM16L S/N# 00093, DM42β SN:00041
Michael
Site Admin

Post by Michael »

Netmage wrote:
Just got mine, so far all I've noticed is the left side of the Enter key doesn't really depress or click, but still performs function. Other keys see fine, though shift key doesn't fit too well in hole (showing key struts).

Try loosening the inner screws.
grsbanks

Post by grsbanks »

Netmage wrote:
That's because it wasn't published until a few minutes ago -- it's there now.
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who do not.
tcab

Post by tcab »

I've received a DM42 from the recent February 2018 run. Nice - but keys are stiff. I also had the ENTER key issue where it only registers if you press on one side of the ENTER button.

I can confirm that it is possible to fix, as I read in this forum thread, by adjusting the right hand side screw (when looking at the opened back) till the ENTER key registers when pressed in the middle. It now takes a bit more pressure triggering the ENTER key in this way however.

My tweaking (talking about subtle 1/8th turns of the screw now) got the ENTER key to a point where pressing "off centre" left or right still registers, but without the tactile click. Clicking off centre is not as reliable as the big forceful centre click but it usually works.

My overall feeling of the entire keyboard is that that the keys are very stiff and require more pressure to use than I would like. The ENTER key now that it is 'fixed' requires even more pressure than the other keys - I guess because underneath we are trying to push not one, but two switches with a single wide button. And as reported already, the force required to press some keys on the extreme left or right columns may cause the calculator to tilt microscopically - nothing really to worry about, but not ideal.

I'm wondering if the key feel of my DM42 is typical or whether I need to re-align something. It feels like the keys are centred ok. I wish the keys required half the amount of force to trigger. Am praying to the "wearing in" gods now...
Nigel (UK)

Post by Nigel (UK) »

I got my DM42 for Christmas - to start with I had the same extremely stiff-key behaviour that you describe, with a few of the top-row keys needing extra-hard pushes to register - but I've been using the calculator each day since then and everything has settled down. All keys work reliably, and the push needed no longer seems unusually hard - either because the keys have "softened" with use, or because I have become used to using them.

Overall I'd give the keyboard in its current state 4/5 - not 5/5 purely because of the ENTER key feeling strange when pushed on the left-hand side (although I never noticed this until I read about it in this forum).

(My personal preference is for Casio-style keyboards - no "click" feedback, but 100% reliable in use. I realise that sales of the DM42 would have been in the low single figures if SwissMicros had followed this route!)

Nigel (UK)
keithdalby

Post by keithdalby »

Nigel (UK) wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:15 pm
My personal preference is for Casio-style keyboards - no "click" feedback, but 100% reliable in use.
And to think folk mocked my preference for landscape form factor!
grsbanks

Post by grsbanks »

Nigel (UK) wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:15 pm
[...] the push needed no longer seems unusually hard - either because the keys have "softened" with use, or because I have become used to using them. [...]
I think the keys do soften over time. I've had a beta unit since April or May last year and I also have one of the first run of production units. There is a marked difference in pressure requred between the two. The beta unit strikes me as far more "comfortable" now that it is well and truly broken in.
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who do not.