buttons that don't register well

If you're having problems with the hardware of a DM41X or DM42, post about them here.
jtucker

Re: buttons that don't register well

Post by jtucker »

I just got My DM42. The keyboard inputs are somewhat iffy as some have noted. Other than the keyboard, it is a very nice design. Like many, I need a totally reliable input for work. No double strikes, no missed inputs. I will want a second unit for home as I very much rely on "muscle memory" for on the fly calculations. As a working electrical engineer, I still use a handheld calculator daily. I've been using HP 35s, but the lack of named variables is a big limitation. I keep a large amount of equations in the "solver". It would be way superior if I could name the variables. I have looked at the HP Prime as well. Nice key feel, great solver app, but the RPN implementation and the screen resolution leave a lot to be desired. But for me the keyboard is the "make or break" factor. My initial tear down indicates that the keyboard ( as noted elsewhere) is too close the the key domes. I would suspect that some type spacer is required between the key matrix and the PCB. I'm going to hold off on buying a second DM42 until this is resolved.
Rmollov

Post by Rmollov »

Michael wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:13 pm
I'm sorry for this. Finally we nailed the problem with the ENTER button.
The unequal tactile feedback is caused by the upwards bent ABS housing.
Once the calculator is taken apart and warmed up a little, it can be bent back which should solve the issue.
Please give it a try. Otherwise you can send it back to me and I'll fix it.
Hi Michael,
The above may be one of the reasons, but there is another as can be seen on the photos...

Regards,
Michael
Site Admin

Post by Michael »

Rmollov wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:08 am
The above may be one of the reasons, but there is another as can be seen on the photos...
That looks strange. Please take it completely apart, gently press the enter button from behind and put it back together.
I hope it solves the issue.
mcc

Post by mcc »

Hi,

I think it's not the ENTER button...the hole thing
isn't plane as it seems to me.
On the lower part of that photo take a look
at the "STO"-button and compare it with the
"R(down)"-button for example...

Only my two buttons...your buttons may vary... ;)

Cheers!
m
DM 42 - SN: 00373, Firmware release v.:3.22. / DMCP 3.24. as compiled by SwissMicros
Walter

Post by Walter »

mcc wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:22 am
Only my two buttons...your buttons may vary... ;)
:lol: But seriously, this whole topic looks like a matter of production variance. :|
WP43 SN00000, 34S, and 31S for obvious reasons; HP-35, 45, ..., 35S, 15CE, DM16L S/N# 00093, DM42β SN:00041
Zaphod

Post by Zaphod »

mcc wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:22 am
Hi,

I think it's not the ENTER button...the hole thing
isn't plane as it seems to me.
On the lower part of that photo take a look
at the "STO"-button and compare it with the
"R(down)"-button for example...
He's right :shock: , maybe some foreign object inside stopping that area of the PCB being screwed down properly?
H2X

Post by H2X »

Zaphod wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:35 am
He's right :shock: , maybe some foreign object inside stopping that area of the PCB being screwed down properly?
Chinese, if I am not mistaken? :-)
What is the metric tensor in imperial units?
Zaphod

Post by Zaphod »

H2X wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:42 pm
Chinese object
Doesn't have quite the same ring to it :D
jtucker

Post by jtucker »

Yes it looks like mcc just has a a worse condition than mine. The pcb is attached to the keyboard in only two places. As a intermediate partial solution, when I re-assembled my DM42 after tightening the two screws, I backed them out a quarter turn. To prevent them from moving I used a little blue loctite on them. There is nothng to prevent the keyboard and pcb from cantilevering though. 4 screws would probably have been a good idea. I think some spacers between the keyboard and pcb with a non-permanent adhesive might work. I really want to like this...
H2X

Post by H2X »

Rmollov wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:08 am
Comment: Does the faceplate (with the printed labels on) stick firmly to the calculator all over? Seems that it might be a bit loose along the left side.
What is the metric tensor in imperial units?