Improved Keyboard????

If you're having problems with the hardware of a DM42, post about them here.
jtowich
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:27 am

Improved Keyboard????

Post by jtowich » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:54 pm

Is there any ongoing effort to improve the keyboard? There are plenty of complaints on this forum about its problems. I have had my DM42 for about a year and I have resorted to going back to my HP 32S for most calculator use. I really like the DM42, still use it for the custom programs I put in, but the keyboard flakiness has been too much. I would love to get another DM42 if I knew it had a decent keyboard. But I couldn't recommend anyone else get one like I have.

Michael
Site Admin
Posts: 236
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:31 pm

Re: Improved Keyboard????

Post by Michael » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:54 am

The problem has been identified. It seems the metal sheets from which the metal domes were stamped weren't cleaned properly.
An oil film prevents reliable contact. The domes and the contact area on the PCB can be cleaned, which significantly improves the reliability.
We encourage anybody having such issues to do so, but of course this is not what customers should need to do.
We're working with a new supplier for new foils with the metal domes. Once available replacement foils can be obtained.

User avatar
akaTB
Posts: 271
Joined: Tue May 02, 2017 11:56 am

Re: Improved Keyboard????

Post by akaTB » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:47 am

Michael wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:54 am
The problem has been identified. It seems the metal sheets from which the metal domes were stamped weren't cleaned properly.
An oil film prevents reliable contact. The domes and the contact area on the PCB can be cleaned, which significantly improves the reliability.
We encourage anybody having such issues to do so, but of course this is not what customers should need to do.
We're working with a new supplier for new foils with the metal domes. Once available replacement foils can be obtained.
May I suggest an "how-to" video for those who want to try to clean the domes?
Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷left is right and right is wrong :twisted:

DA74254
Posts: 56
Joined: Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:20 pm
Location: Norway/Latvia

Re: Improved Keyboard????

Post by DA74254 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:52 am

akaTB wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:47 am
Michael wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:54 am
The problem has been identified. It seems the metal sheets from which the metal domes were stamped weren't cleaned properly.
An oil film prevents reliable contact. The domes and the contact area on the PCB can be cleaned, which significantly improves the reliability.
We encourage anybody having such issues to do so, but of course this is not what customers should need to do.
We're working with a new supplier for new foils with the metal domes. Once available replacement foils can be obtained.
May I suggest an "how-to" video for those who want to try to clean the domes?
A big thank you to Michael for adressing this problem and to work for a solution.
As for myself, only the "on/exit" key have problem, but as akaTB suggests; a howto-vid would be highly appreciated :)
Esben
DM42 SN: 00245

User avatar
Walter
Posts: 1001
Joined: Tue May 02, 2017 9:13 am
Location: Close to FRA, Germany

Re: Improved Keyboard????

Post by Walter » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:16 pm

Michael wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:54 am
The problem has been identified. It seems ...
Hear, hear!
DA74254 wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:52 am
akaTB wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:47 am
Michael wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:54 am
... the metal sheets from which the metal domes were stamped weren't cleaned properly.
An oil film prevents reliable contact. The domes and the contact area on the PCB can be cleaned, which significantly improves the reliability.
We encourage anybody having such issues to do so, but of course this is not what customers should need to do.
We're working with a new supplier for new foils with the metal domes. Once available replacement foils can be obtained.
May I suggest an "how-to" video for those who want to try to clean the domes?
... as akaTB suggests; a howto-vid would be highly appreciated :)
May I concur suggesting an htv for the lazy writers of us? ;)
DM42 SN: 00041 --- Follower of Platon.

HP-35, HP-45, ..., HP-50, WP 34S, WP 31S, DM16L

cdmackay
Posts: 68
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:33 pm
Location: Cambridge, UK
Contact:

Re: Improved Keyboard????

Post by cdmackay » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:28 pm

Are we talking about keys that don't reliably register, or debouncing issues with unwanted repeats? I suffer from the former, but have never seen the latter.

Will someone tell us when the replacement foils are available and how to request one, please? thank you.
Cambridge, UK
41CL, 12C/15C, DM15/16, 71B, 17B, 28S, DM42, 48GX, 17bII+, 50g (& newRPL), 35s, 30b (WP 34S), Prime G2
& Casios, Rockwell 18R :)

Michael
Site Admin
Posts: 236
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:31 pm

Re: Improved Keyboard????

Post by Michael » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:04 am

Unfortunately it'll take at least a month or two for the new foils to be finished.
We'll post the availability and how to get them here in the forum.

grsbanks
Posts: 847
Joined: Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:23 am
Location: Preston, Lancs, UK
Contact:

Re: Improved Keyboard????

Post by grsbanks » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:20 am

cdmackay wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:28 pm
Are we talking about keys that don't reliably register, or debouncing issues with unwanted repeats? I suffer from the former, but have never seen the latter.
An unreliable contact can cause either phenomenon.
Not SwissMicros staff, just an enthusiast.

jtowich
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:27 am

Re: Improved Keyboard????

Post by jtowich » Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:45 pm

Thank you. Good to know you are working on it.

cdmackay
Posts: 68
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:33 pm
Location: Cambridge, UK
Contact:

Re: Improved Keyboard????

Post by cdmackay » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:25 pm

thanks both, great news.
Cambridge, UK
41CL, 12C/15C, DM15/16, 71B, 17B, 28S, DM42, 48GX, 17bII+, 50g (& newRPL), 35s, 30b (WP 34S), Prime G2
& Casios, Rockwell 18R :)

Post Reply