Labels in the XEQ menu

Post here to share useful tips and tricks, to ask questions about using your DM42 or to report software-related problems
keithdalby

Labels in the XEQ menu

Post by keithdalby »

I know someone will want to just answer here, 'RTFM', but...

Labels. I've been using numbered labels within programs so that they do not appear in the XEQ menu. Named labels appear in the XEQ menu. I'd like to be able to have named callable routines that don't clog up the XEQ menu: routines that can be called by any program. Is there a way of labelling routines such that they do not appear in the XEQ menu? Or must I repeat code used in different programs in each program with numbered labels (which is a tremendous waste of storage space and produces very cluttered barely-readable code)?
keithdalby

Re: Labels in the XEQ menu

Post by keithdalby »

I know numbered or single letter labels are local, so don't appear in the XEQ menu, but I'd like multi-character alpha local labels and also global labels that do not produce an XEQ menu item. Cannot figure out how.
grsbanks

Post by grsbanks »

You can't :(

Global labels appear in the PRGM list and that's all there is to it, I'm afraid.
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who do not.
keithdalby

Post by keithdalby »

Mmmm, so I've a choice between cluttered code or cluttered program list. I'll favour the cluttered code over the cluttered menu.

Thanks for the information!
Walter

Post by Walter »

RPN programming was created for "quick and dirty" repetitive solutions. It's simply not designed to be structured in any way. Usually, RPN programs were 100 steps maximum, maybe more recently. Due to the lack of I/O, howver, noone was willing to key in longer code. This doesn't solve your problem but may help understanding the reasons.
WP43 SN00000, 34S, and 31S for obvious reasons; HP-35, 45, ..., 35S, 15CE, DM16L S/N# 00093, DM42β SN:00041
keithdalby

Post by keithdalby »

Context is useful, thank you. It's a shame using a . before a global label name doesn't hide it from the list, but I guess that's where the CUSTOM menu becomes valuable. I may go back and improve the structure of some of my programs: they're becoming pretty damned messy.
rprosperi

Post by rprosperi »

The simplest way to accomplish what you want is to enter all of what I'll call your 'global subroutines' BEFORE entering the main programs you plan to XEQ from the program catalog, so that they appear at the end of the catalog so you never have to visit the final pages of the program menu.

Since you have programs already in memory now, you have to shuffle the subroutines to the end by deleting your main programs and then adding them back in, but with the DM42 this is easy by simply writing them to flash and then reading them back into RAM.
--bob p

DM42: β00071 & 00282, DM41X: β00071 & 00656, DM10L: 071/100