WIN10 Driver Installation

Post here to share useful tips and tricks, to ask questions about using your DM42 or to report software-related problems
HP1983

WIN10 Driver Installation

Post by HP1983 »

The driver for firmware flashing will not be installed when running the installation wizard.
I receive the message: "System policy has been modified to reject unsigned drivers."
I'm running WIN10 Home as an administrator and with the latest updates.
Can anyone give me a hint on how to proceed?
grsbanks

Re: WIN10 Driver Installation

Post by grsbanks »

Restart Windows with driver signature enforcement deactivated.

https://windowsreport.com/driver-signat ... indows-10/ (ignore the prompts to download "repair tools", they're just ads for bloatware on the page)

Note that you'll have to reinstall the drivers whenever you install an Insider Preview of W10 if you're using that channel. Because the drivers are unsigned, Windows boots them out when you do an update.
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who do not.
HP1983

Post by HP1983 »

Thanks for Your prompt assistance - it works perfect!
:P
Jeff O.

Post by Jeff O. »

grsbanks wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:31 pm
Note that you'll have to reinstall the drivers whenever you install an Insider Preview of W10 if you're using that channel. Because the drivers are unsigned, Windows boots them out when you do an update.
Is there any way to tell if Windows did indeed boot my driver? I suspect so, as I had no luck updating to 3.3. Does the driver have a name I could look for if I did a “driverquery” from a command prompt? Finally, if it did boot the driver on an update, is there any way to tell Windows to leave it the heck alone the next time?
grsbanks

Post by grsbanks »

Yup.

Fire up the device manager, connect the DM42 and put it into bootloader mode.

If you find an "STM Device un DFU Mode" in the "Universal Serial Bus controllers" branch then you have to reinstall the drivers.

Windows thinks it knows best and does not give you the opportunity to tell it to leave your drivers alone. If the driver isn't signed, it gets the boot.
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who do not.
toml_12953

Post by toml_12953 »

grsbanks wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:30 am
If the driver isn't signed, it gets the boot.
I thought if the driver isn't signed then it doesn't get the boot. :lol:
Tom L

Some people call me inept but I'm as ept as anybody!
DM10L SN: 059/100
DM41X SN: 00023 (Beta)
DM41X SN: 00506 (Shipping)
DM42 SN: 00025 (Beta)
DM42 SN: 00221 (Shipping)
WP43 SN: 00025 (Prototype)
Jeff O.

Post by Jeff O. »

grsbanks wrote:
Yup.

If you find an "STM Device un DFU Mode" in the "Universal Serial Bus controllers" branch then you have to reinstall the drivers.
Thanks, I will check this tonight. I’m thinking it must be gone, as when I tried to update, the dm_tool kept saying “"No DFU capable devices found".
grsbanks wrote:

Windows thinks it knows best and does not give you the opportunity to tell it to leave your drivers alone. If the driver isn't signed, it gets the boot.
Great, so now I have keep track of windows updates and keep re-learning how to install unsigned drivers.
grsbanks

Post by grsbanks »

Jeff O. wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:59 pm
Great, so now I have keep track of windows updates and keep re-learning how to install unsigned drivers.
Only when a new complete build gets installed.

Also, when you do install the drivers and generate the .INF file, make a note of where you generate it and next time, all you have to do is tell Windoze you want to update the drivers for the "STM Device in DFU Mode" and point it to that .inf file using the "Have Disk..." option.
Jeff O.

Post by Jeff O. »

grsbanks wrote:

That is exactly what I found. Put windows in "allow unsigned drivers" mode, re-installed driver and updated to V3.3 successfully. Thanks for your help.
grsbanks wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:44 pm
Also, when you do install the drivers and generate the .INF file, make a note of where you generate it and next time, all you have to do is tell Windoze you want to update the drivers for the "STM Device in DFU Mode" and point it to that .inf file using the "Have Disk..." option.
I wondered about the old .inf file. I just re-ran the inf-wizard and wrote over the old .inf. I'll try to remember this shortcut for next time.