Accented characters in Help browser

Post here to share useful tips and tricks, to ask questions about using your DM42 or to report software-related problems
grsbanks

Re: Accented characters in Help browser

Post by grsbanks »

Thomas Okken wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:32 pm
f those don't work either, I'd start to suspect that they're using a font, or a text renderer, that doesn't support accents.
It's the text renderer. As I said earlier, it only implements a small subset of the HTML entities and unicode characters.
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who do not.
Thomas Okken

Post by Thomas Okken »

grsbanks wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:22 pm
Thomas Okken wrote:
f those don't work either, I'd start to suspect that they're using a font, or a text renderer, that doesn't support accents.
It's the text renderer. As I said earlier, it only implements a small subset of the HTML entities and unicode characters.
No, you mentioned limitations in the HTML parser. Those should be possible to work around with numeric entities (assuming those are supported, but since that's really simple, there's no excuse not to). Limitations in the renderer are a different issue.
Walter

Post by Walter »

Thomas Okken wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:00 am
grsbanks wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:22 pm
Thomas Okken wrote:
No, you mentioned limitations in the HTML parser. Those should be possible to work around with numeric entities (assuming those are supported, but since that's really simple, there's no excuse not to). Limitations in the renderer are a different issue.
@grsbanks: We're dealing with math-tech problems. Could we - please - agree on using proper terminology? Is it a parser or a renderer you were talking about? :?
WP43 SN00000, 34S, and 31S for obvious reasons; HP-35, 45, ..., 35S, 15CE, DM16L S/N# 00093, DM42β SN:00041
dlachieze

Post by dlachieze »

Well it seems to be both: é is displayed as “é” and é is displayed as “?”, so a different handling. I’ve tried the different suggestions from Thomas but none is working.
Not a big issue anyway, I’m already glad to have an embedded equivalent of the HP-42S QRF (which btw was only released in English). But if someday the support for other languages can be added that would be nice to have.

Side note: grsbanks is and has been an invaluable link between us - the DM42 users – and the SwissMicros team as well as a great contributor to the DM42, however he is not the software developer, so I’m not expecting him to know everything about the software implementation, especially for the help feature that is not a core feature and was released just a few weeks ago with the production units. A little vocabulary forgiveness would help keeping this forum friendliness tone, we are all humans after all … ;)
DM42: 00425 - DM41X: β00066 - WP43: 00042
Thomas Okken

Post by Thomas Okken »

I played around with the help file a bit, and here's what I found:
  1. The help file parser does support UTF-8. I didn't try ISO-8859-1 since the help file uses characters that aren't in ISO-8859-1, like the up- and down-pointing triangles.
  2. The help file parser does not support numeric entities, neither decimal nor hexadecimal. I tried Σ and Σ for Σ, and they appeared as Σ and Σ, i.e. they weren't even parsed.
So, é and é being rendered as ? is entirely due to limitations in the renderer. If é weren't recognized, it would show up as é, not ?.
ijabbott

Post by ijabbott »

Thomas Okken wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:03 pm
So, é and é being rendered as ? is entirely due to limitations in the renderer. If é weren't recognized, it would show up as é, not ?.
Did you try é? dlachieze wrote above that it was rendered as "é".
Thomas Okken

Post by Thomas Okken »

ijabbott wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:45 pm
Thomas Okken wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:03 pm
Did you try é? dlachieze wrote above that it was rendered as "é".
I did not -- I misread Didier's post and thought he said that é showed up as ?. My mistake.