Windows error message when Activate USB Disk

Post here to share useful tips and tricks, to ask questions about using your DM42 or to report software-related problems
Bill (Smithville NJ)

Windows error message when Activate USB Disk

Post by Bill (Smithville NJ) »

I'm running Windows 7. Whenever I plug in the DM42 and "Activate USB Disk",
I get the following pop-up message:

"Do you want to scan and fix DM42 (G)?"

I've been selecting "Continue with scanning" and everything seems to
work fine.

Should I be concerned? Should I Format the Fat Disk or do a Fat Media Test?

Thanks.

Bill
Smithville, NJ
mcc

Re: Windows error message when Activate USB Disk

Post by mcc »

Hi,

as far is known -- and I am living on a UNIX only land :) -- the FAT filesystem has a "dirty" flag, which
is set, if the FAT filesystem is mounted and cleared if unmounted.
Windows does not "mount" filesystems the UNIX way but the underlaying mechanisms mau be comparable.
There are two way of mounting: "cached/buffered" and "synced".

While "cached/buffered" summarize changes to one block of the flash and write as soon as the next block is accessed in "synced" mode
each single change is written to flash at once.
The first mode can create inconsistent data if the -- for example usb stick -- is pulled suddenly, the second mode is less prone to such
failures (the changes to the FAT are written at last).
The first mode is "flash friendly" the second one is not.

The behaviour of the OS regarding the set and clear of the dirty flag may be influenced in different ways by both modes.

As far as I can remember I ALWAYS have a "dirty" FAT filesystem, when initiating a fscan of a sd-card, an usb stick etc and nearly
all cases nothing was found.

May be it is possible under windows to change the "mount" mode (or better windows equivalent to this) in way, that is equivalent to the
mode, which is used for usb sticks? May be the problem arises simply from the fact, that the DM42 is physically an usb stick (in this
single use case of course :) ) but it is not recognized as such by WIndows?

HTH!
Cheers
Meino
DM 42 - SN: 00373, Firmware release v.:3.22. / DMCP 3.24. as compiled by SwissMicros
DA74254

Post by DA74254 »

I wouldn't be concerned.
Windows works in mysterious ways, and I get the same message. Just continue without scan.

I have external drives that Windows hav wanted to scan for years. Never let it an never had problems with the disks :)
Esben
DM42 SN: 00245, WP43 Pilot SN:00002, DM32 SN: 00045 (Listed in obtained order).
Bill (Smithville NJ)

Post by Bill (Smithville NJ) »

DA74254 wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:20 am
I wouldn't be concerned.
Windows works in mysterious ways, and I get the same message. Just continue without scan.

I have external drives that Windows hav wanted to scan for years. Never let it an never had problems with the disks :)
Thanks. Just wanted to make sure that I hadn't corrupted the Fat Disk on the DM42.

Bill
Smithville, NJ