DM-Tool activates Windows Defender...

Post here to share useful tips and tricks, to ask questions about using your DM42 or to report software-related problems
zeno333

DM-Tool activates Windows Defender...

Post by zeno333 »

To get the DM-Tools exec program I have to deactivate Windows Defender...Anyone else have this issue? It flags it and deletes it, did that the first try, then it Quarantined etc the 2nd try...I hate having to turn defender off to update the DM-42...
rprosperi

Re: DM-Tool activates Windows Defender...

Post by rprosperi »

Yes, this is a known problem with Windows Defender.

As this is a relatively new file, it is not recognized by the WinDef database, so it assumes it's bad and quarantines the file.

This problem has nothing to do with SM, other than they have recently improved this tool to fix some issues, and have released this new file.

As an aside, I strongly recommend you upgrade to a better quality security product. WinDef is clearly not as quickly updated as commercial products, but there are better reasons to do so. WinDef is well known to be slow to identify and below average to prevent and remove malware. Suggest a commercial product such as Norton Security.
--bob p

DM42: β00071 & 00282, DM41X: β00071 & 00656, DM10L: 071/100
zeno333

Post by zeno333 »

Wow..interesting to hear that Defender is slow to update...one would think it would not be since I get definition updates all day with it...I got like 5 of them this last Christmas day...How does Norton do the updating?...Are there dayly downloads like in Defender...It of course would not use Windows update...
revwillie

Post by revwillie »

For me, windows defender was a pain in the ass in windows 10. But I got through it and windows 10 trusted the tool afterwards. Avast Antivirus can still flag a lot of false positives, so I still disable Avast Shields for 10 minutes or an hour using the tray icon before downloading firmware updates or running dm tool. I built up a secondary windows 7 machine for a lot of reasons, but one was to make DM42 updates easier. windows 7 is not as much of a pain in the ass as windows 10, but I still disable Avast Shields temporarily.

This thread is NOT completely up to date. it is based on my first attempts running dm_tool, but it has a couple of screenshots of the process I went through. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=49
DM42 SN: 00076
DM15, HP 28c, HP 12c, HP 10b, HP 20b, HP 30b, HP 17bII, HP 42s, HP 35s, WP 34s, NP-25, TI-83+, teenix multicalc
zeno333

Post by zeno333 »

I installed Norton Security and it also flagged the Tools program...had to add it exceptions list....
Thomas_ER

Post by Thomas_ER »

After getting an alert from Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE, a.k.a. Defender) on Windows 7
I temporarily deactivated MSE, downloaded the new dm_tool.exe - without starting it - ,
uploaded it to virustotal.com fro checking, (
result: https://www.virustotal.com/#/file/56e50 ... /detection) and then updated MSE, und re-enabled it.
It seems to be an false alert.
[ HP48/49/50/42S/WP34/HP Prime/ DM42 (#00185+00318) ]
grsbanks

Post by grsbanks »

zeno333 wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:33 am
Wow..interesting to hear that Defender is slow to update...one would think it would not be since I get definition updates all day with it...I got like 5 of them this last Christmas day...How does Norton do the updating?...Are there dayly downloads like in Defender...It of course would not use Windows update...
The issue isn't so much how frequently you get updates for WinDef, it's more how old the information is in those updates.

The knack with Windows 10, when Defender tries to stop you from running something, is to click on "More info" (or something to that effect, I don't remember precisely) and then "Run anyway" when the button is shown. From then onward it should remember that the app is OK to run.
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who do not.