Thoughts on DM42 User Manual

Post here to share useful tips and tricks, to ask questions about using your DM42 or to report software-related problems
budmur

Thoughts on DM42 User Manual

Post by budmur »

One thing that bugs me (not really, but it is something that I've noticed) is that the DM42 User Manual is written for someone who is familiar with the HP-42S or Free42, and needs to know how to do DM42-specific things, like update firmware, change system setttings, save files and state-files, etc. It doesn't go into the actual use of the calculator itself. It's my opinion that the DM42 is not just a great (and extended!) clone of the HP-42S, but is a great calculator in its own right.

Would there be any interest in expanding the user manual to include much of Mr. Strapasson's alternate manual, so that there's a 1-stop place where programming techniques, flags, solver, etc., can be included also? This way, there's a single user guide that discusses the entire operation of these great machines.

One thing to be considered is that Strappason's manual is published under the GDL. If it were included, I believe the entire DM42 User Manual would need to be released under that license. Of course, that'd be a Swissmicros descision if they want to go down that road.
DM42 S/N 00039
coolepascal

Re: Thoughts on DM42 User Manual

Post by coolepascal »

Have been looking to find an original HP-42 manual... no go for a reasonable price (got some for the HP-41 though)
I sure would love to have a complete manual since indeed i'm missing a lot of info.
If you mean a real paper manual, i'm in.
ijabbott

Post by ijabbott »

There is a PDF scan of the HP-42S Owner's Manual, plus a PDF scan of the HP-42S Programming Examples and Techniques books linked to from the SwissMicros Models page. They are more far more comprehensive than the "alternative" manual. Not quite as nice as a paper manual. I was lucky enough to get a paper Owner's Manual one with one of my HP-42S's purchased from eBay.
coolepascal

Post by coolepascal »

Trying to buy an original manual, not easy.
Got some manuals on the HP-41 though