Teflon spray...

Post here to share useful tips and tricks, to ask questions about using your DM42 or to report software-related problems
mcc

Teflon spray...

Post by mcc »

Hi,

Previously I had a slight squeaking noise when typing on the left side of my DM42, if it lays flat on
a table.
It seemed to be caused by the metal back, which - while not to closeing 100% - had a tiny small
gap to its plastic opposite.
When typing this gap was closed while a button is being pressed. Metal and plastic together create
this slight squeak.

BUT! :)
I unscrewed the screws of the back, removed the back and sprayed a tiny little bit of Teflon spray
along inner side of the surrounding "wall" (sorry..no native speaker at work here...) of the metal back.
Then I waited carefully until really all propellent and solvent has evaporized into the void ;)
Before starting whith this, you have to shake the bottle with Teflon spray very well.
Only the walls need a tiny bit of teflon spray! Dont soak the whole DM42 with that stuff!!!!! :)

After reattaching the metal back and screw the screws into the back it result into a DM42 which feels even
more solid and "like a brick"...no squeaking or moving of the case back any more.

Teflon (without solvent and propellent) is nearly inert and neither does conduct nor react with plastic
or other materials.

HTH!
Cheers!
mcc
DM 42 - SN: 00373, Firmware release v.:3.22. / DMCP 3.24. as compiled by SwissMicros
Geoff Quickfall

Re: Teflon spray...

Post by Geoff Quickfall »

It has the added bonus of allowing any spilt food to slide off the calculator :!:
grsbanks

Post by grsbanks »

Or you can use the back to fry an egg...
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who do not.
Geoff Quickfall

Post by Geoff Quickfall »

Humour aside, good idea for squeaks!
mcc

Post by mcc »

Hi,

thanks for the humorous and nice replies! :) :) :)

We should getting used to use the phrase "egg" for a erroneous programming
instead of a bug...due to the teflonic surface of the back, eggs would slight off
the program more easily than bugs.... ;)

Only to get sure (due to my limited English...):
The spray has to be applied to the METAL BACK! And not
to any other part of the DM42 !!!
Before spraying, put/take (?) the other part of the DM42 far out
of reach.
It may even be better to spray onto a cotton bud tip and
apply that to the walls of the metal back instead!

HTH!
Cheers!
mcc
DM 42 - SN: 00373, Firmware release v.:3.22. / DMCP 3.24. as compiled by SwissMicros