DM42 Missing Firmware File on FAT Drive?

Post here to share useful tips and tricks, to ask questions about using your DM42 or to report software-related problems
Simon

DM42 Missing Firmware File on FAT Drive?

Post by Simon »

I wonder if someone can advise on this.
I connected the DM42 to my PC (this did not go as smoothly as it should, but for the moment I won't go into this just now).
When connected to the PC, the DM42 (as delivered) FAT drive contained the 4 usual folders and the V 3.11 firmware file (DMCP_flash_3.11_DM42-3.11.bin).
After copying some files on to the FAT and ejecting (successfully) from the PC and exiting at the DM42, I subsequently found when reconnecting to the PC that the FAT drive still contained all the data/folders but the .bin firmware file was now missing. I copied it back in, but it always seems to disappear when I go back in to examine the contents of the FAT drive.
Thinking that it might be a corrupted file system I ran the FAT test/format routine (all blocks OK) and restored all the original content, but once again the firmware file does/did not appear in the FAT after reconnecting to the PC.
Is this behaviour normal? That is, is it normal for the DCMP OS to purge any .bin firmware file from the root of the FAT if it sees it as the identical firmware installed?
It may well be that if I copy (let's say) the next version .bin all will be OK.
I notice when I hit exit on the DM42 there are messages headed with DMCP_flash_3.11_DM42-3.11.bin, & then CRC check OK, Progress, Verification and Flashed OK.
Thanks for any information on this.
grsbanks

Re: DM42 Missing Firmware File on FAT Drive?

Post by grsbanks »

This is normal behaviour.

If the firmware file is there and its version is at least that of the firmware currently installed, it will install it.

After successful installation into the DM42's flash memory, the firmware file is deleted. It doesn't have to be there for the calculator to function.
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who do not.
Simon

Re: DM42 Missing Firmware File on FAT Drive?

Post by Simon »

Thanks for verifying that.
It makes sense not to clutter the FAT drive with a redundant file/data.
It was just odd that it still resided in the root of the FAT drive for a couple of access operations, and then disappeared subsequently.
Thanks again.