And still it keeps on going

Post here to share useful tips and tricks, to ask questions about using your DM42 or to report software-related problems
toml_12953

Re: And still it keeps on going

Post by toml_12953 »

Russel wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 8:49 pm
grsbanks wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 9:17 am
[...]I was deliberately running the battery down to see how the machine behaved with such a low power supply.
Is 1.90 volts the lowest you have seen? Have you replaced the battery yet? You know what they say about the curiosity and the cat...
"How low can you go?" - Limbo Rock sung by Chubby Checker
Tom L

Some people call me inept but I'm as ept as anybody!
DM10L SN: 059/100
DM41X SN: 00023 (Beta)
DM41X SN: 00506 (Shipping)
DM42 SN: 00025 (Beta)
DM42 SN: 00221 (Shipping)
WP43 SN: 00025 (Prototype)
grsbanks

Post by grsbanks »

LOL :)

Yes, I did replace the battery after that.

Not only did I want to see how the machine behaved with so little power available but I also wanted to see something that I'm surprised nobody else picked up on. Look at the battery icon in that screenshot... Having seen the source code for how the system chooses which icon to display depending on battery voltage, I knew there was a provision for a 7th icon that represents something more dire than the "empty" battery. So there is it, a sqeezed battery :)

This also uncovered a "bug" that only hit me yesterday while thinking of this... Operations that cause a write to the QSPI chip are all protected so that they don't happen if there's less than 2.2V across the battery. If the thing were to shut down partway through a write operation, it would cause data corruption. So, how come I was able to take a screenshot with there being only 1.9V there?

It turns out, that specific write operation is not (yet!) protected...
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who do not.
Russel

Post by Russel »

grsbanks wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 9:19 am
[...] Having seen the source code for how the system chooses which icon to display depending on battery voltage, I knew there was a provision for a 7th icon that represents something more dire than the "empty" battery. So there is it, a sqeezed battery :)
I noticed that...something to avoid when your calculations are mission critical! (I did suffer a fit of laughter when I saw the icon. :lol: )
grsbanks wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 9:19 am
This also uncovered a "bug" that only hit me yesterday while thinking of this... Operations that cause a write to the QSPI chip are all protected so that they don't happen if there's less than 2.2V across the battery. If the thing were to shut down partway through a write operation, it would cause data corruption. So, how come I was able to take a screenshot with there being only 1.9V there?

It turns out, that specific write operation is not (yet!) protected...
Nice catch!