DM42 licensing thread from HPmuseum.org

Post here to share useful tips and tricks, to ask questions about using your DM42 or to report software-related problems
cappy

DM42 licensing thread from HPmuseum.org

Post by cappy »

I’m surprised that no one here is talking about this.

http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-9873.html
DM42 SN: 0612
keithdalby

Re: DM42 licensing thread from HPmuseum.org

Post by keithdalby »

In one of those threads (and there are a few of them) an email from Michael is shared.
Hi Barry,

Thanks for letting me know, since I am not reading on that forum I wasn't aware this escalated that much so quickly.
Godwin pointed me less than 24 hours ago to this thread and we discussed it.
We never intended to play unfair and we thought we did the right move already with the part we released.
There were no excuses from our side, except for the delays.
We're only a two person company, or actually even less than that since I still have a regular job next to this.

I wish Thomas would have contacted to me directly, telling us what he thinks is missing.
Actually I'm quite surprised of his move accusing us in public in such a manner.
Now it looks like we needed to be forced before releasing the full sources and nothing can change that impression anymore.

Unfortunately David is on holidays this weekend, so things have to wait a little more.

This is a sad story which could have been avoided by simple talks.

Best regards,
Michael
Here: http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-10 ... l#pid93971

Folk are probably avoiding talking about it because they just want to let Michael, David and Thomas sort it all out first. No point having 100 threads all bringing this up.
Guenter

Post by Guenter »

cappy wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:35 pm

Have a look at [General Discussion/Discuss/Troubled waters] in this forum.
Günter
Günter
DM42 SN:00004 and SN:00184 -- DM41X SN:00013 and SN:00955
toml_12953

Post by toml_12953 »

cappy wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:35 pm

I'd prefer to wait until Thomas, David and Michael discuss it further. If it's in the process of being remedied, then there's really nothing to discuss. Only those three people know what's really happening. I sincerely hope it's just a big misunderstanding. I find it hard to believe that D&M are maliciously keeping needed code secret.
Tom L

Some people call me inept but I'm as ept as anybody!
DM10L SN: 059/100
DM41X SN: 00023 (Beta)
DM41X SN: 00506 (Shipping)
DM42 SN: 00025 (Beta)
DM42 SN: 00221 (Shipping)
WP43 SN: 00025 (Prototype)
HP1983

Post by HP1983 »

I strongly recommend everyone to read the day by day escalating one way discussions in the HPMuseum Forum.

Why did the discussion escalate so quickly during this very week and why did they not communicate with the DM42 Forum? I feel sad reading the discussions and I'm very disappointed that one cannot wait with some of the statements until the parties involved have tried to sort i out together. Instead the possibilities of law suits are discussed!

I indeed hope that the parties will be able to talk to each other during the coming week and come up with a solution.
Thomas Okken

Post by Thomas Okken »

I count about 100 posts in total so far, in about 7 threads, across the two forums. The viewpoints and arguments are varied and the tone is civil. I don't see any escalation there; I see healthy debate.

As to why this debate is taking place in public: because what is at issue is something that I no longer trusted SwissMicros to handle properly without some pressure. They have been violating the terms of the GPL from the moment they started selling the first DM42 beta units without making available all the code and tools necessary for people to build, install, and debug their own firmwares, and they have remained in violation despite repeated prodding from my side. This is NOT an issue that suddenly came out of nowhere.
Walter

Post by Walter »

But this is an issue which escalated quite a bit during these holidays. And I got the impression that some people became pretty impatient like toddlers unable to wait a little time. One even recognized himself and apologized. Examplary manners!

We've learned that David is off for the weekend so I suggest we wait until the weekend is over which may include Easter Monday.
WP43 SN00000, 34S, and 31S for obvious reasons; HP-35, 45, ..., 35S, 15CE, DM16L S/N# 00093, DM42β SN:00041
Bunuel66

Post by Bunuel66 »

Just for information, a copy of a post I have just left on the HP forum.

Hi guis. I am a customer of SM and have got a DM42. I find very interesting the bunch of comments saying that on one side that SM shall release everything for the sake of the GPL and on another side that it is not a matter of money and simultaneously pointing to the huge work necessary for creating a software as Free42.
Being European it is possible that my point of vue will hurt some other ones. If you understand the GPL in the way it is presented in a lot of posts against SM, then I don't understand why you don't ask Microsoft to release the source code of Windows, just because Free42 can be run on it, why not also asking for the BIOS source?. Be prepared to sue a lot of companies (automakers and others) for using free software in their products, maybe even the ignition system software is of interest....
Let's be pragmatic, why did you need to get that source (I mean the low level one)? If its just for 'religious' reasons, up to you, but it's a bit childish, if it is for being able to develop your own software on that target, well, why not suggesting SM to release its hardware with the appropriate documentation, and software, for a fair price? Say 50 € for example. After all, nobody complain to pay for HP hardware for installing some software on it... W34....isn't it.
At the end of the day, what have you to gain? SM is, as already said, a small company, the peoples behind it are not making a living with it, and a lot of peoples have been happy to see and buy their product (remember that you're free not to buy them, and you KNEW that Free42 was in it with the GPL license).
Then, if making calculators for a bunch of nostalgic old geek/nerds (don't take offense I'm part of that communauty...)rewards you only with trouble it would be very reasonnable for them to close out and let us all discuss ad vitam aeternam of the interpretation of the GPL license.
I'm ready for the coming flaming ;-)
Walter

Post by Walter »

Watch it:
  • people = o gente en Portugues
  • peoples = os povos
WP43 SN00000, 34S, and 31S for obvious reasons; HP-35, 45, ..., 35S, 15CE, DM16L S/N# 00093, DM42β SN:00041
Thomas Okken

Post by Thomas Okken »

Bunuel66 posted the same post at the MoHPC forum, where people are replying to it. Best to keep it that way and not reply here, to avoid duplicating the thread.

http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-10 ... l#pid94275