First Entry into Matrix Pushes Stack

Post here to share useful tips and tricks, to ask questions about using your DM42 or to report software-related problems
Thomas Okken

Re: First Entry into Matrix Pushes Stack

Post by Thomas Okken » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:09 pm

The stack-lift-preservation behavior actually happens in EDIT and EDITN -- easy to overlook if you keep setting up your test case like 2 ENTER ENTER ENTER EDITN "M". So, still weird behavior, but at least a bit more consistent than I thought.
Release 2.0.19 coming up...

Epidiah

Post by Epidiah » Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:44 am

This is probably as it should be, then, but in case it matters, the stack lifts for the first entries into MATA, MATB, and MATX as well.

whuyse

Post by whuyse » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:29 am

Thomas Okken wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:37 pm
Update: no, wait, it's even weirder. EDIT preserves the existing stack lift status. Hmm, and that's exactly what my old code did.
No, not quite.
With v2.0.17

Code: Select all

ENTER
ENTER
ENTER
NEWMAT
ENTER
EDIT
RDN
Gives 0 on Free42 and the matrix on a 42S
Cheers, Werner
42S #3249S01123
DM42 #00345

Thomas Okken

Post by Thomas Okken » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:50 am

I stand corrected! This is an aspect of the matrix editor that was clearly not as well thought out and tested against the original as it should have been. But I think in 2.0.19 I finally got it right...

Well, except for MATA, MATB, and MATX in the SIMQ menu, which activate the matrix editor and exhibit the same stack lift behavior as EDIT and EDITN on the HP-42S, and not (yet) in Free42, as Epidiah pointed out.

So, the same patch will have to be applied there. It's not as important as the EDIT/EDITN fix, because MATA, MATB, and MATX are not programmable, but they should be fixed anyway for the sake of consistency.

Thomas Okken

Post by Thomas Okken » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:41 am

Thomas Okken wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:50 am
I stand corrected! This is an aspect of the matrix editor that was clearly not as well thought out and tested against the original as it should have been. But I think in 2.0.19 I finally got it right...

Well, except for MATA, MATB, and MATX in the SIMQ menu, which activate the matrix editor and exhibit the same stack lift behavior as EDIT and EDITN on the HP-42S, and not (yet) in Free42, as Epidiah pointed out.

So, the same patch will have to be applied there. It's not as important as the EDIT/EDITN fix, because MATA, MATB, and MATX are not programmable, but they should be fixed anyway for the sake of consistency.
Fixed in 2.0.20.