program editor line-insertion issue

Post here to share useful tips and tricks, to ask questions about using your DM42 or to report software-related problems
c785

program editor line-insertion issue

Post by c785 »

Hi there,

I really appreciate the big screen allow multi-line program display, it makes writing programs so much more comfortable. Now there's an issue here, however: When I go to a line and start entering a new line (which will be inserted after the line I moved the cursor to), the cursor (correctly) jumps to the next line, but wrongly overwrites the next line instead of shifting the rest of the program down by one line. This doesn't matter for single-key lines, but it matters a lot for anything requiring more than one keypress (LBL, GTO, STO, RCL, alpha, etc., the list is endless). Effectively, it blanks out the next line of the program during entry, which is very confusing. After the line is complete, everything is moved to its right place and displayed correctly, it's just during editing that a line of code temporarily disappears.

I know this might even be a Free42 issue specific to the DM42 because this behaviour simply doesn't matter on a two-line display, but I find it quite annoying and would appreciate it being fixed.
DM42 #84
toml_12953

Re: program editor line-insertion issue

Post by toml_12953 »

+1
Tom L

Some people call me inept but I'm as ept as anybody!
DM10L SN: 059/100
DM41X SN: 00023 (Beta)
DM41X SN: 00506 (Shipping)
DM42 SN: 00025 (Beta)
DM42 SN: 00221 (Shipping)
WP43 SN: 00025 (Prototype)
Thomas Okken

Post by Thomas Okken »

c785 wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:53 pm
I know this might even be a Free42 issue specific to the DM42 because this behaviour simply doesn't matter on a two-line display
Ahem. A "Free42 issue specific to the DM42" is a DM42 issue. Excuse me for not implementing support for displays with more than two lines, in my app that has a display with exactly two lines. The same two lines that the HP-42S display has. The HP-42S that started this whole thing.

"Lack of functionality I would like to have" is not the same as "bug" or "issue."

Thank you, carry on. I'm going to have a beer now. :mrgreen:
Geoff Quickfall

Post by Geoff Quickfall »

gaaaaaaazzzzzzzzzzziiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnggggggggg :shock:

Well done Thomas :lol:
rprosperi

Post by rprosperi »

Note that sometimes it appears to push the lines below it down properly, while at other times it overwrites the next line and the 'hidden' line is not restored until the current line entry is completed, as described above.

For this fragment:

Code: Select all

01 LBL "AAA"
02 STO 00
03 X
04 COS
If your cursor is on line 03 and you press [1] (starting numeric entry) the 'COS' line is hidden until you complete the line you just started with the 1.

But if you press [*] the new * command is inserted and lines below are properly pushed down.

They are both actually doing the same thing, it just happens immediately in case 2 since the [*] key both begins and ends that command, so upon ending, the display of lower lines is restored.

No magical insight here, just posting this short explanation to avoid a bunch of "I can't reproduce this, it's not a problem" posts.

And finally I agree with both comments. It's not a bug (and certainly not in Free42), but I too would like it changed to behave as we expect.
--bob p

DM42: β00071 & 00282, DM41X: β00071 & 00656, DM10L: 071/100
Thomas Okken

Post by Thomas Okken »

rprosperi wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:41 am
Note that sometimes it appears to push the lines below it down properly, while at other times it overwrites the next line and the 'hidden' line is not restored until the current line entry is completed, as described above.

For this fragment:

Code: Select all

01 LBL "AAA"
02 STO 00
03 X
04 COS
If your cursor is on line 03 and you press [1] (starting numeric entry) the 'COS' line is hidden until you complete the line you just started with the 1.

But if you press [*] the new * command is inserted and lines below are properly pushed down.

They are both actually doing the same thing, it just happens immediately in case 2 since the [*] key both begins and ends that command, so upon ending, the display of lower lines is restored.

No magical insight here, just posting this short explanation to avoid a bunch of "I can't reproduce this, it's not a problem" posts.

And finally I agree with both comments. It's not a bug (and certainly not in Free42), but I too would like it changed to behave as we expect.
I agree, but I would also like to point out that this has been discussed here already, and quite recently: /viewtopic.php?f=17&t=476&p=5569#p5569.
Walter

Post by Walter »

Thomas Okken wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:50 am
... I would also like to point out that this has been discussed here already, and quite recently: /viewtopic.php?f=17&t=476&p=5569#p5569.
I concur.
WP43 SN00000, 34S, and 31S for obvious reasons; HP-35, 45, ..., 35S, 15CE, DM16L S/N# 00093, DM42β SN:00041
c785

Post by c785 »

Thomas Okken wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:24 am
c785 wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:53 pm
I know this might even be a Free42 issue specific to the DM42 because this behaviour simply doesn't matter on a two-line display
Ahem. A "Free42 issue specific to the DM42" is a DM42 issue. Excuse me for not implementing support for displays with more than two lines, in my app that has a display with exactly two lines. The same two lines that the HP-42S display has. The HP-42S that started this whole thing.

"Lack of functionality I would like to have" is not the same as "bug" or "issue."

Thank you, carry on. I'm going to have a beer now. :mrgreen:
Sorry if you feel offended, Thomas, but I was merely pointing out that the best way of tackling the issue might be by modifying Free42 code, not the non-free DM42-specific OS. But then again, I might be completely wrong because I have no knowledge of the internals of Free42 or DM42.

And I hadn't found the other thread during my search, sorry for that as well.

The issue still stands, and I'm happy that others have reported it too, so it might actually get fixed at some point.
DM42 #84
Thomas Okken

Post by Thomas Okken »

c785 wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:23 am
I was merely pointing out that the best way of tackling the issue might be by modifying Free42 code, not the non-free DM42-specific OS.
As I understand it — and I could be wrong, I haven't seen their code, either — proper large-screen support for code editing will have to be implemented in the "Free42" part of the code.

They maintain a patch that represents the difference between the upstream version of the code and theirs, which they apply to the Free42 source code releases to obtain their version.

Which functionality is in that patch and which is in the DM42 OS will be revealed when the DM42 code and development tools are released...
c785

Post by c785 »

Thanks, Thomas, for the insight. In your last sentence, you say "when", but as it stands, I think an "if" in its place would be more realistic. I still hope, however, that they do release the code one day.
DM42 #84