Can you stop Save State saving programs also?

Post here to share useful tips and tricks, to ask questions about using your DM42 or to report software-related problems
hsilop

Can you stop Save State saving programs also?

Post by hsilop »

I have setup custom keys to call my various programs. I notice that if I clear the calculator and reload the state it has the programs back in memory, but not necessarily the version I was last working on. I use File>Save Program to save programs as I work on them. Trouble is if I do a load Calc State it loads a different version ( much older ) than I last saved.

Is there a way to get Save State just to save custom menus and the like *WITHOUT* it also saving the programs?

My standard work-around is to build the programs, save them. Then build the custom menus, delete all the programs, and save the Calc State. That way "Calc State" holds custom menus and stuff BUT NO PROGRAMS. So I can go back to the edit - File>Save Program cycle without having an older copy of the programs hanging around.
Steve

DM32 SN: 00316
DM41X SN: 00854
DM42 SN: 03223

HP11C, HP12C, HP15C, HP16C, HP25, HP32S, HP33C, HP41CV, HP46, HP65
grsbanks

Re: Can you stop Save State saving programs also?

Post by grsbanks »

The whole purpose of the "save calc state" function is to save the entire state of the machine and that includes programs in memory, registers, variables, flag states, everything. The idea is, once you've got your programs to a point where you're happy with them, you do a save state (not save program, that is basically for importing/exporting programs) so that everything is there next time you load the calc state again. This allows you to have multiple machine states with different sets of programs available.
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who do not.
hsilop

Re: Can you stop Save State saving programs also?

Post by hsilop »

That would explain why a dump of the s42 files looks the way they do. Looks like a bunch of 16-byte registers. More-or-less a core dump.
Steve

DM32 SN: 00316
DM41X SN: 00854
DM42 SN: 03223

HP11C, HP12C, HP15C, HP16C, HP25, HP32S, HP33C, HP41CV, HP46, HP65