DM42 Firmware V3.1 available

This is where announcements of official firmware updates provided by SwissMicros for the DM42 calculator will be made.

Please do not post bug reports here. The Usage tips, tricks and problem reports forum is there for that.

Please do not post notices of third party firmware builds here, they will be deleted. Instead, please use the Third Party firmware builds forum for this purpose.
Geoff Quickfall

Re: DM42 Firmware V3.1 available

Post by Geoff Quickfall »

no, it really is closer to completion.

Merry Christmas
Walter

Post by Walter »

1/x rightfully claims it is closer to zero everytime I ask but never reaches it.

Well, let's hope the very best and keep our fingers crossed. Merry Christmas and a happy new year and more happy landings!
WP43 SN00000, 34S, and 31S for obvious reasons; HP-35, 45, ..., 35S, 15CE, DM16L S/N# 00093, DM42β SN:00041
Geoff Quickfall

Post by Geoff Quickfall »

15 week course in January thru February, new airplane and new position. 787 Dreamliner and captain. So it will interfere with the 1/x

Merry Christmas to you also!

This is following the 90 10 / 10 90 rule. 90% done in the first 10% of the time allotted and 10% done in the last 90% of the time allotted. Time allotted is x to the nth power in minutes and is an unknown variable until project is completed, at which time it becomes a know variable.

Geoff
Walter

Post by Walter »

Geoff Quickfall wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:09 am
15 week course in January thru February, new airplane and new position. 787 Dreamliner and captain.
Congratulations! :D Now you're qualified to pack 15 weeks into two months!! :lol: :P
Geoff Quickfall wrote:
So it will interfere with the 1/x ... This is following the 90 10 / 10 90 rule. 90% done in the first 10% of the time allotted and 10% done in the last 90% of the time allotted. Time allotted is x to the nth power in minutes and is an unknown variable.
Sometimes looks like following the 99 1 / 1 99 rule. :(
WP43 SN00000, 34S, and 31S for obvious reasons; HP-35, 45, ..., 35S, 15CE, DM16L S/N# 00093, DM42β SN:00041
Guenter

Post by Guenter »

Geoff Quickfall wrote:
15 week course in January thru February, new airplane and new position. 787 Dreamliner and captain. So it will interfere with the 1/x
Geoff
Congratulations from an old captain (rtd) to a rookie :P
Will you have your FOs work on the BOOK?

Günter
Günter
DM42 SN:00004 and SN:00184 -- DM41X SN:00013 and SN:00955
Jeff O.

Post by Jeff O. »

I received my DM42 only last Tuesday, and see that I now must face the inevitable, updating the firmware. I have read the manual a few times, and tried to read every applicable post at this Forum, but before I proceed I was hoping that I could ask a few questions:

1. It appears that I need to install something called “libusb driver“ before I do anything else. Step 4 of the libusb installation instructions state “First screen of inf-wizard instruct you to connect your USB device. You have to initiate the device into bootloader mode by pressing BOOT0 button and then RESET. Now you can connect it to the USB and press [ Next> ].” To be clear, my “USB device” is my DM42, correct? Assuming so, according to the manual, I enter boot loader mode by choosing option 1 in the System menu. (I have not even entered the System menu yet due to the warning.) Will entering bootloader mode from the System menu present me with the BOOT0 and RESET buttons? And I do all this before I connect the DM42 to my PC via USB, correct?
2. I should avoid anything having to do with “QSPI” for the present time, correct?

Please accept my apologies for asking what are likely such basic questions. I debated just attempting the update on my own, but decided that asking a few stupidly simple questions would be better than possibly needing to post a message starting out “Help! I foolishly attempted to update my DM42 without understanding the process, and now my unit is bricked.” Any assistance will be appreciated.
Jeff
BruceH

Post by BruceH »

Geoff Quickfall wrote:
You're still up the front I trust? Or does this fly-by-wire stuff mean that you're in the hold with a pair of VR goggles?
;-)
jfb9301

Post by jfb9301 »

Jeff O. wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:36 pm
I received my DM42 only last Tuesday, and see that I now must face the inevitable, updating the firmware. I have read the manual a few times, and tried to read every applicable post at this Forum, but before I proceed I was hoping that I could ask a few questions:

1. It appears that I need to install something called “libusb driver“ before I do anything else. Step 4 of the libusb installation instructions state “First screen of inf-wizard instruct you to connect your USB device. You have to initiate the device into bootloader mode by pressing BOOT0 button and then RESET. Now you can connect it to the USB and press [ Next> ].” To be clear, my “USB device” is my DM42, correct? Assuming so, according to the manual, I enter boot loader mode by choosing option 1 in the System menu. (I have not even entered the System menu yet due to the warning.) Will entering bootloader mode from the System menu present me with the BOOT0 and RESET buttons? And I do all this before I connect the DM42 to my PC via USB, correct?
2. I should avoid anything having to do with “QSPI” for the present time, correct?

Please accept my apologies for asking what are likely such basic questions. I debated just attempting the update on my own, but decided that asking a few stupidly simple questions would be better than possibly needing to post a message starting out “Help! I foolishly attempted to update my DM42 without understanding the process, and now my unit is bricked.” Any assistance will be appreciated.
Jeff
(I'm sure your libusb instructions are the same, but these were the ones I followed) https://www.swissmicros.com/dm42/doc/libusb_install/

If you have a Beta model, you have a BOOT0 button on the back (similar to RESET), if you have a Production model, you have to use menus to access the bootloader. @Michael, you might want to update Step 4 of the instructions to reflect this.
Prior to step 4 I did not have the DM42 connected, during step 4 I connected it and keyed the sequence [SETUP}, [4], [2], [1], to set bootloader mode (just read the screens as you type the menu selections, it should be obvious). Your device should appear exactly as pictured in the screen shots.

The remainder of the instructions are quite clear.

No, you do not need to update QPSI at this time.
Walter

Post by Walter »

BruceH wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:43 am
Geoff Quickfall wrote:
You're still up the front I trust? Or does this fly-by-wire stuff mean that you're in the hold with a pair of VR goggles?
;-)
AFAIHH, Boeing doesn't fly as much by wire as Airbus does.
H2X

Post by H2X »

Walter wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:05 pm
BruceH wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:43 am
Geoff Quickfall wrote:
;-)
AFAIHH, Boeing doesn't fly as much by wire as Airbus does.
Do they fly by wireless?? :o
What is the metric tensor in imperial units?