DM42 Firmware V3.5 available

This is where announcements of official firmware updates provided by SwissMicros for the DM42 calculator will be made.

Please do not post bug reports here. The Usage tips, tricks and problem reports forum is there for that.

Please do not post notices of third party firmware builds here, they will be deleted. Instead, please use the Third Party firmware builds forum for this purpose.
mcc

Re: DM42 Firmware V3.5 available

Post by mcc »

Hmmm....what is better? Clearify responsibilties ("...it is not the fault of XYZ") or prevent damage in beforehand?
I prefer the latter...

Again...only my two cents...

Cheers
Meino
DM 42 - SN: 00373, Firmware release v.:3.22. / DMCP 3.24. as compiled by SwissMicros
HPMike

Post by HPMike »

Walter wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:17 pm
mcc wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:39 pm
In case of a calculator of this price tag (...) I think "learning by experience" is little too harsh -- especially for
those, who do this experience -- especially when checking for USB-power (the routine is already in the firmware) and quiting
the firmware update process if only the battery is there, seems to me a not too complicated task for a magician like David, whose
magic was one of the main reasons, why we all got these wonderful piece of technique.
I concur. Nevertheless I've to repeat that the manual states in bold print: Connect the calculator to the PC. If you don't it isn't the fault of the manual. Of course, the procedure could be made foolproof ...
The Manual was written prior to the release of the production units, and has not been updated since then. The reason you are instructed to connect the calculator to the PC is to permit it to be flashed through the USB cable, and has nothing to do with providing auxiliary power to the calculator. So, at the very least when flashing from FAT, there should be a warning message that instructs the user to connect the calculator to a USB power source prior to performing the flashing operation. Heck, the Manual still contains a reference to a nonexistent PGM button.
DM15L, S/N 00548. DM42, SN: 00159. DM41X, SN: 00973. DM32, SN 00054.
Walter

Post by Walter »

HPMike wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:21 pm
The Manual was written prior to the release of the production units, and has not been updated since then. The reason you are instructed to connect the calculator to the PC is to permit it to be flashed through the USB cable, and has nothing to do with providing auxiliary power to the calculator. So, at the very least when flashing from FAT, there should be a warning message that instructs the user to connect the calculator to a USB power source prior to performing the flashing operation. Heck, the Manual still contains a reference to a nonexistent PGM button.
CETERVM CENSEO the manual shall be updated 8-)
WP43 SN00000, 34S, and 31S for obvious reasons; HP-35, 45, ..., 35S, 15CE, DM16L S/N# 00093, DM42β SN:00041
Geoff Quickfall

Re: DM42 Firmware V3.5 available or down the windows rabbit hole!

Post by Geoff Quickfall »

still swamped in books and training but took a second to update my orignal beta unit to 3.5 and it worked perfectly.

was off for three days and went home from to toronto to vancouver to find the new production dm42. had fun unboxing it and it works with 3.3 perfectly.

however, trying to bootload the new DM42 with the same cable and computer as the beta unit results in:

"No DFU capable devices found"

clicking on the message results in the same message. i removed the back and inserted the cable just to confirm that the cable is functioning with a complete insertion/connection and still get:

"No DFU capable devices found"

the "activate usb disk" function works with no error messages. the original beta version updated perfectly so it seems to be a "libusb" problem according to the menu.

how does one fix the libusb problem referred to in the manual?

Love the finish and the key response although i did have to loosen the internal screw to relieve the ENTER key response.

ADDENDUM:

i copied the state file from my beta unit to the production unit via the "activate usb disk" and it function perfectly as does the calculator.

ADDENDUM TO THE ADDENDUM:

searched for "no dfu" and found jeffo postings. got on the web and used win+x to restart computer into allowing unsigned drives mode and reinstalled the driver. what confused me as the beta version was updating correctly in bootloader mode. my assumption was the driver therefore is installed and running. not so. the production version is now up and running perfectly.

cheers, geoff

now back to the books on the "plastic fantastic" aka the B787-800/900. will get some shots of the dm42 from the left seat of the cockpit.
rprosperi

Post by rprosperi »

Geoff Quickfall wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:06 pm
now back to the books on the "plastic fantastic" aka the B787-800/900. will get some shots of the dm42 from the left seat of the cockpit.
I saw a nice special on the "Dreamliner" on TV. Funny, they made it sound like it just flew itself...

But I suppose you need to have a flight crew on board for all flights so there is someone to blame when stuff hits the fan.
--bob p

DM42: β00071 & 00282, DM41X: β00071 & 00656, DM10L: 071/100
grsbanks

Post by grsbanks »

mcc wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:19 pm
i think it is not so funny for those actually forgetting to connect it to USB power
and the underpowered flash procedure corrupts the flash on a low level, where only
a ISP or HVP can help...
Meino,

Do you really think that I would suggest that you do something that could stand a good chance of bricking your DM42?
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who do not.
Geoff Quickfall

Hi Bob,

Today:
  • 1 cargo fire middle of the Atlantic.
    1 engine seizure turned into a fire and debris punctured the fuselage at 41,000 feet
    1 engine failure on takeoff
    Three engine failures prior to rotation at greater then 140 mph.
    Two hydraulic failures one involving all three systems.
    A plethora of electrical failures, air conditioning faults, pressurization faults.
All compounded with crew not doing their jobs (real life), computer logic not working (three redundant systems all handshaking each other and voting whether one is not reliable) and etc.

We are a looooong way from the plane does it itself. AI is a press thing, not a reality when it comes to judgment calls in time critical events.

I have had 12 * 4 hour sessions in the simulator so far on the 787 and all that even though I top 24,000 hours flying for 40 years now, with 30 years on heavy jets: 4 years on the DC10, 12 years on the 737, 6 years on the 767 and 9 years on the 777. That’s 7 weeks of training and studying systems found on the 787. Four more exams in the simulator and 4 line (real trips) with a check captain; another 4 weeks before I get cut loose in the left seat.

I keep hearing they fly themselves, problem is they don’t think :lol:

Managed to get windoze 10 to except my unsigned driver though, now you would think that would be easy.

Cheers, Geoff. (HHC2018)

This is a shot of a landing at Sydney, Australia, that I did last fall with the autopilot off. Unbeknownst to me the company had set up a press shoot and photo op of the new paint job on its inaugural flight to Sydney. I, coincidentally, was at the controls for the landing. No computer help here :D

toml_12953

Post by toml_12953 »

Geoff Quickfall wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:06 pm
searched for "no dfu" and found jeffo postings. got on the web and used win+x to restart computer into allowing unsigned drives mode and reinstalled the driver. what confused me as the beta version was updating correctly in bootloader mode. my assumption was the driver therefore is installed and running. not so. the production version is now up and running perfectly.

I have to reinstall the driver after every update of my Windows build. MS has been turning them out at about 3-5 day intervals.
Tom L

Some people call me inept but I'm as ept as anybody!
DM10L SN: 059/100
DM41X SN: 00023 (Beta)
DM41X SN: 00506 (Shipping)
DM42 SN: 00025 (Beta)
DM42 SN: 00221 (Shipping)
WP43 SN: 00025 (Prototype)
Geoff Quickfall

Freaking annoying isn’t it!

And once the Windows is restarted it reverts back to denying unsigned drivers!
rprosperi

Post by rprosperi »

Geoff Quickfall wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:02 am
Hi Bob,

Today:
  • 1 cargo fire middle of the Atlantic.
    1 engine seizure turned into a fire and debris punctured the fuselage at 41,000 feet
    1 engine failure on takeoff
    Three engine failures prior to rotation at greater then 140 mph.
    Two hydraulic failures one involving all three systems.
    A plethora of electrical failures, air conditioning faults, pressurization faults.
We are a looooong way from the plane does it itself. AI is a press thing, not a reality when it comes to judgment calls in time critical events.
Oh I get it, I was (apparently not very effectively) attempting to make fun of the idea that machines this complex can fly themselves.

I'd hate to be the guys that lost engines just at rotation. All those extra trips to church plus buying new pants...

That's a lot of failures for one day for planes nearing $200M (not even CDN but USD) each.

Funny, none of that was discussed in the TV show, though they did play the popular video of the 'Dreamliner vertical takeoff' about 5 times.

Also, the Air Canada paint scheme is very nice; subtle yet colorful.

Looks like a very nice landing.
--bob p

DM42: β00071 & 00282, DM41X: β00071 & 00656, DM10L: 071/100