My dream DM42 display layout

Discussion around the SwissMicros DM42 calculator
RAPo

Re: My dream DM42 display layout

Post by RAPo »

+1 the more I think about it:
Function should be HP42S (at the least by a system switch), defined as by the work from Thomas.

Form(including display) could change to modern standards.
tycho wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:18 pm
We should also add justification (left/center/right) for each display item.
Furthermore if we could generalize the items, not only stack but also memory / flag.
True. It would be nice then with one or two extra pages with custom layout to switch between!

I know, many will say this is for the DM43, but remember that the DM42 is already very different from the HP42S when it comes to display layout: multiple fonts, font sizes, stack layout, left/right alignment, lines between stack elements (not very useful, though), etc. This is merely a proposal for a better/more flexible firmware implementation of it, not really adding so much new.
DM41X beta: SN00018.
DM41X: SN00496.
DM42 beta: SN00074.
DM42:SN06020.
DM42 converted to C47 SN08973
DM10L: SN056/100.
DM11L: SN 02058.
DM15L: SN2074.
DM16L: SN2156.
DM15, DM16, DM41
and a whole bunch of the original HP's,
Olaf

Post by Olaf »

Hans,

I agree that english might not be as easy as it seems.
I'm not fluent in english (my current level satisfy my needs : speaking with my german colleages & reading mostly technical & historical books).
I probably would have hard times trying to access superior levels (Hello Shakespeare !).

French: well.. I don't know for sure how people from other countries feel about it. I guess there must be a stiff learning curve. Even for native speakers, there are a lot of traps where one can fall into, and youngsters seem to have a lot of difficulties nowadays with our language.

I was told that spanish is also tricky: while looking quite simple for latin languages speakers, but complicated when entering a certain level.

I would like to dedicate this part of the thread to germans : they speak the only true RPN language : with command (verb) after arguments, at the end of the sentences !! :-)
-----------------------------------------------------------------
HP48G, DM42 (# 276), a slide rule and a C compiler :-)
Hans S.

Post by Hans S. »

Walter wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:41 pm
Liberty dies in slizes
In the HP-museum's archives I found this, describing the original HP-42 S:

"sophisticated simplicity"

Maybe this should stay as motto for the DM-42.

Hans
Hans S.

Post by Hans S. »

Olaf wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:08 pm
germans : they speak the only true RPN language : with command (verb) after arguments, at the end of the sentences
Oh yes. In scool I was critizized formulating sentences longer then three pages.
On the other side, in my french lessens I learned the one and only holy rule: "subjet, prédicat, objet!" (Cried out loud).

Hans
Hans S.

Post by Hans S. »

RAPo wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:07 pm
defined as by the work from Thomas
So yes, I vote to declare this as the quasi-industrial-standard for any 42.

Thomas Okken left something "aere perennius".

Hans
Guenter

Post by Guenter »

Hans S. wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:51 pm
I disagree. Let's say, there are two major languages to learn, English and French.
Hm, English is only a French dialect, complicated by 2000 words of German origin :roll: What really complicates the matter is in English you have to learn two independent languages, one to write and one to speak. :D

Günter
Günter
DM42 SN:00004 and SN:00184 -- DM41X SN:00013 and SN:00955
grsbanks

Post by grsbanks »

Guenter wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:11 pm
Hm, English is only a French dialect, complicated by 2000 words of German origin :roll: What really complicates the matter is in English you have to learn two independent languages, one to write and one to speak. :D
There was a huge import of French words into the English language with the Norman invasion in the 11th century, but I think that we still have more in common with our Germanic and Celtic roots than with French. Also, remember that the Normans, ie. "Men from the North", were in fact Vikings. Some 100 or so years before the invasion, the French King of the time gave some land to the Viking chief Rollo in the hope that he'd stop attacking France.

One thing that my late father and I sometimes did was exchange e-mails making sure to remove any words of Latin origin in those messages, preferring to use only Germanic loan-words. It took some thought but it was possible. Doing the same, using only Latin loan-words instead of Germanic, was much, much more difficult!
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who do not.
RAPo

Post by RAPo »

but to bring this back on topic: should/could swissmicros add functionality to make a custo layout by using a xml (or json) file?
If so, how high up the priority list?
DM41X beta: SN00018.
DM41X: SN00496.
DM42 beta: SN00074.
DM42:SN06020.
DM42 converted to C47 SN08973
DM10L: SN056/100.
DM11L: SN 02058.
DM15L: SN2074.
DM16L: SN2156.
DM15, DM16, DM41
and a whole bunch of the original HP's,
Guenter

Post by Guenter »

grsbanks wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:38 pm
Doing the same, using only Latin loan-words instead of Germanic, was much, much more difficult!
I love it to be completely off topic.

I served for a couple of years in Belgium in an international organisation which officially used two approved languages, English and French. While my command of English was good enough for my daily tasks, my knowledge of French was very limited. Frequently when I had to find the right word to express something in French, I thought about what the equivalent word of French origin it would be in English et voilà, transforming that to something sounding more French than German often made my day :-)

Günter
Günter
DM42 SN:00004 and SN:00184 -- DM41X SN:00013 and SN:00955
Thomas Okken

Post by Thomas Okken »

grsbanks wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:38 pm
One thing that my late father and I sometimes did was exchange e-mails making sure to remove any words of Latin origin in those messages, preferring to use only Germanic loan-words. It took some thought but it was possible. Doing the same, using only Latin loan-words instead of Germanic, was much, much more difficult!
Wow, where do you even start? I'm trying to think "how would I say it in Dutch" and then look for the nearest English cognate, but that doesn't work most of the time.

But yes, English is still mostly Germanic, in terms of vocabulary and even more so in terms of grammar. Even the sound shift that makes English spelling so weird is a Germanic thing, also partly present in modern Frisian and Danish.