Anything I should know before I install the USB Driver for the DM42...

Discussion around the SwissMicros DM42 calculator
zeno333

Anything I should know before I install the USB Driver for the DM42...

Post by zeno333 »

People ibn the HP Museum Forum assured me that I do not need to install the stm32_bootloader_driver.zip files, that the libusb-win32-install-1.2.6.0.zip installation program selects and installs the stm32-Boot drivers automatically....Am a bit nervous about it doing that since the ZIP files for them are in the tool program page, and still do not know why it is there if its not needed to be installed manually first....I will try and see what happens...Any last bit pointers...If it does not work I will be back. Already know how to set Windows 10 64 bit to take unregistered drivers....
rprosperi

Re: Anything I should know before I install the USB Driver for the DM42...

Post by rprosperi »

libusb-win32-install-1.2.6.0.zip is the correct pkg for installing the drivers.

These steps should work for you on WIn-10 x64:

1. Unzip the file to some convenient folder. Once unzipped, be sure there are 3 folders plus 2 files in the top level folder.

2. Reboot Win10 to allow installation of unsigned drivers

3. Go to the folder where you extracted the files

4. Run inf-wizard.exe and follow the steps in the wizard.

This should complete installing the driver needed to recognize the USB interface of the DM42

The Wizard may suggest to reinstall; if so, do so, but this is a normal startup, you do not need to do the unsigned driver thing again, as the drivers are now installed.

You can now follow the DM42 firmware update instructions using dm_tool.exe
--bob p

DM42: β00071 & 00282, DM41X: β00071 & 00656, DM10L: 071/100
zeno333

Post by zeno333 »

If it says to reinstall, do I need to do a normal restart to then reinstall?
zeno333

Post by zeno333 »

When I unziopped the zip file, I got this folder name...libusb-win32-install-1.2.6.0 which has a single folder nested inside it of the same name...that folder has 3 separate folders within that one...is this the way it should be???
zeno333

Post by zeno333 »

The DM42 online instructions just mention going into Boot mode, it does not say to first enable the USB dis...some have said though to first eneable the USB disc, unplug, then enter Boot mode...
"3) on calculator call up setup menu and select.

- SETUP/File>/Activate USB Disk >. **if all is correct you should see your FAT directory on a windows file folder on your computer screen. At this point I create a back folder on the computer and copy the FAT over to a backup folder labelled DM42/backup.

- eject the USB DISK with the EXIT key on the calculator or eject the USB drive from the computer. Remove the cable from the calculator."

Do Inned to activate the USB disc or can i skip that....
dlachieze

Post by dlachieze »

zeno333 wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:07 am
When I unziopped the zip file, I got this folder name...libusb-win32-install-1.2.6.0 which has a single folder nested inside it of the same name...that folder has 3 separate folders within that one...is this the way it should be???
It's OK, the way the folder hierarchy is structured depends on the unzip options.
zeno333 wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:30 am
Do Inned to activate the USB disc or can i skip that....
The mandatory actions are the ones in the SwissMicros instructions, the only exception being how to enter Bootloader mode which is done on your DM42 via the Setup menu and not via any button press on the back.

Others actions such as doing a backup of the content of your DM42 have been provided by different forum members as recommendations. Now it's up to you to decide if you want to follow these recommendations. Not doing so will not prevent you to flash your DM42 but you may loose your data and programs if something goes wrong in the process and you have to press Reset to recover.

Btw, as I said on another forum, if all this is not clear for you it would be better for you to just wait the updated instructions from SwissMicros for the DM42 production units.
DM42: 00425 - DM41X: β00066 - WP43: 00042
zeno333

Post by zeno333 »

So I can skip Activating the USB Drive then.....??...just put it into Boot mode via calc menues...
zeno333

Post by zeno333 »

If the Wizard says to re-install, do I reboot then do the regular reinstall?...Strange if its installed why it would ask to reinstall it...
Thomas_ER

Post by Thomas_ER »

copied from the other forum (from Geoff Quickfall, http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-97 ... l#pid87198):

Code: Select all

DM42 FW Update    [w]=Windows, [c]=Calc
---- --- --------------			 	[ok?]
[ 1] [w] install driver			 	[  ]
         https://www.swissmicros.com/dm42/tools/libusb-win32-install-1.2.6.0.zip
         libusb-win32-install-1.2.6.0.zip
         unzip, Run inf-wizard.exe 	
[ 2] [w] install dm_tool		 	[  ]
         https://www.swissmicros.com/dm42/tools/dm_tool.exe
         Local path: _______________________
[ 3] [w] download latest firmware	 	[  ]
         https://www.swissmicros.com/dm42/firmware/DM42_flash_3.1.bin
         Local path: _______________________
[ 4] [w] execute,call,invoke dm_tool,	 	[  ]

[ 5] [c] connect calculator to USB.	 	[  ]
[ 6] [c] SETUP/System/Enter/Bootloader 	 	[  ]
[ 7] [w] see handshake on dm_tool pop up.	[  ]
[ 8] [w] Browse to find firmware 	 	[  ]
         (where you saved it).			
[ 9] [w] Hit 'program' on dm_tool pop up 	[  ] 
[10] [w,c] watch progress,		 	[  ]
[11] [c] disconnect and enjoy.		 	[  ]
----------------------------------------------------------
[ HP48/49/50/42S/WP34/HP Prime/ DM42 (#00185+00318) ]
zeno333

Post by zeno333 »

You mentioned..."The Wizard may suggest to reinstall; if so, do so, but this is a normal startup, you do not need to do the unsigned driver thing again, as the drivers are now installed.". I am wondering if it does ask to reinstall, do i reinstall in driver verify disble mode once again, or do i reinstall without rebooting at all?...What exactly needs to be done to reinstall aftert doing it the first time???