Headline: DM 42 hits road at...

Discussion around the SwissMicros DM42 calculator
Geoff Quickfall

Re: Headline: DM 42 hits road at...

Post by Geoff Quickfall »

[size=150h]OMG[/size]

I am officially “older” generation. :o

Merci Sylvain. :lol:

Sylvain is correct in his sociological explanation. In my industry my Airline has litres of fuel uplifted, which is converted to kg using an S.G. The speed is knots and the altitude is feet.

China aviation is still using metres for altitude, feet for runway length, metres per second for wind and km for visibility. China, Russia and Mongolia were using metres for altitude until a few years ago when Russia and Mongolia converted to feet.

All I want is a standard as conversion increases the chance of error production.

:arrow: cheers
toml_12953

Post by toml_12953 »

Geoff Quickfall wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:28 pm
[size=150h]OMG[/size]

I am officially “older” generation. :o

Merci Sylvain. :lol:

Sylvain is correct in his sociological explanation. In my industry my Airline has litres of fuel uplifted, which is converted to kg using an S.G. The speed is knots and the altitude is feet.

China aviation is still using metres for altitude, feet for runway length, metres per second for wind and km for visibility. China, Russia and Mongolia were using metres for altitude until a few years ago when Russia and Mongolia converted to feet.

All I want is a standard as conversion increases the chance of error production.

:arrow: cheers
Problems have apparently happened before:

http://www.nytimes.com/1983/07/30/us/je ... rrors.html
Tom L

Some people call me inept but I'm as ept as anybody!
DM10L SN: 059/100
DM41X SN: 00023 (Beta)
DM41X SN: 00506 (Shipping)
DM42 SN: 00025 (Beta)
DM42 SN: 00221 (Shipping)
WP43 SN: 00025 (Prototype)
Walter

Post by Walter »

Well, another great (!) nation crashed a Mars probe due to conversion errors ...
WP43 SN00000, 34S, and 31S for obvious reasons; HP-35, 45, ..., 35S, 15CE, DM16L S/N# 00093, DM42β SN:00041
Geoff Quickfall

Post by Geoff Quickfall »

That’s my point, no country is immune.

I wasn’t singling out any specific country, but showing a trend in aviation. We still have incidents in aviation of hPa (hectopascals) versus inHg (Inches of Mercury) being incorrectly set in the altimeter window.

We still get fuel delivered in litres which must be converted to kilograms using a ‘fuel weight control factor, (Boeing term) also know as the specific gravity. At least everything in the aircraft is metric except altitude and speed.

The gimli incident resulted in litres delivered, no fuel gauges functional, no fuel flow display functional, misread dip sticks in inches (American aircraft builder) and the wrong conversion of inches to centimetres. Painful to type let alone think about.

Litres X s.g. into tank. Tank dipped with ‘inches measure’ converted to cm for using in tank depth versus fuel in litres chart, which is converted to kilograms. This added to arrived fuel in tank before fueling. Confused yet???

Upshot is, new rule from Boeing, procedures changed: do not go with gauges and fuel flow indicators unserviceable unless you fill tanks to full. When the manufacturer changes their procedures you know there is more to it then simple math mistakes.

I have automated the fuel in tank check with a printable routine on my HPs. The Dm42 as well as the 41, 42s, 34s and etc all prompt for inputs and calculates, then prints results.

See the check at the :23 minute mark: https://youtu.be/564WxcPuGsY

Cheers

The Gimli incident! As an aside I have flown that airplane as it was repaired completely.
Walter

Post by Walter »

Geoff Quickfall wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:28 pm
In my industry my Airline has litres of fuel uplifted, which is converted to kg using an S.G. The speed is knots and the altitude is feet.

I wonder why Russia and Mongolia stepped back? :?

Generally, it would be an once-in-a-lifetime effort to switch to SI and then you're done for the next couple of centuries. Though you can't do anything against S.G. in this move - that's simply given by nature, you've to blame it for that.
WP43 SN00000, 34S, and 31S for obvious reasons; HP-35, 45, ..., 35S, 15CE, DM16L S/N# 00093, DM42β SN:00041